SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

installing complete aftermarket stereo system... need help!!!

Old 11-30-13, 02:52 PM
kk93sc3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question installing complete aftermarket stereo system... need help!!!

Let me begin by saying that I have a 1993 Lexus sc300 with the complete OEM Pioneer factory stereo system installed. I am looking to have a good quality system with a nice range. I'm not looking for top of the line, just something marginally better than stock with more low end.

I plan on installing:
- Pioneer AVH-X1500 double-din headunit (6.1" touchscreen)
- Infinity Kappa 60.9cs 6.5" component speakers (front) I plan on getting the speaker adapters from www.car-speaker-adapters.com if the guy ever gets back to me!
- Infinity Kappa 62.9I 6.5" 2-way coaxial speakers (rear)
- Infinity Kappa FIVE 5-channel amplifier (RMS: 2 ohms @ 75W x 4 channels + 300W x 1 channel)
*** I have no idea what sub to install b/c the clearance with the gas tank is obviously a big issue

??? What SUBWOOFER works ???
I am looking for any advice on subs that will fit in the stock location w/o too much modification. I know a sealed or ported sub is better. I want to leave the sub in the stock location.

Since I am completely redoing the system, does anyone have any idea how to go about wiring all of this?
I've read raine's how-to's, but I can't find a thread explaining how to install an aftermarket amp. I'm a noob as far as amps go. I've installed some headunits and speakers before, but never an amp.

-------- Is it necessary to run all new speaker wires since I'm using an aftermarket amp? If so, how was it to go through the door jams?

If someone could just give me a general idea on how to go about installing all of this, I would greatly appreciate it. I've noticed mixed reviews when it comes to the Metra wiring harnesses, so anyone with experience using those would be helpful.
Old 11-30-13, 09:38 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just purchased those speaker adapters two days ago for the front door, I bought the 6.5's also so I'll let you know when I get them. From what I read you're going to need to cut some metal on that back deck for 6.5's, I'm going with 5.25's instead and make a custom mount for them. Alpine SPR 50's to be exact. Gonna run JBL MS-62C's up front. That infinity amp you're looking at has quite a few bad reviews, I'd look at the Alpine PDX 5 instead, same output, higher quality amp, same price. I'm getting the PDX-V9 for mine. Still unsure on what subwoofer to get though I am looking at the Kicker 07CVR10-4. It's cheap, and can handle 400RMS which should be plenty for a clean SQ build.
Old 12-01-13, 08:01 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

You will need to run all your speaker wires from your head unit to the amp or to your existing wires that are in the trunk and splice into them. ( this is what i did) You will definitely need a sc3/4 pioneer wiring diagram to do that, in order for you to know what wire goes where. You will have to bypass your 6 disc cd changer, unless you're know how to wire it up.
Buy a lots of speaker wires and use a search buttons to help you with install!!
Good luck!!
Old 12-01-13, 10:20 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just run new speaker wires. That's almost as easy as plug and play, rather than trying to figure out the old small harness wires and having to splice. Just run new audio cables.
Old 12-01-13, 11:30 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

If you're worried about doing it, just have a pro install your head unit and amp, but tell him you plan to use new speakers, and not to wire them up. That's the easiest part, since you have to modify your door panel speaker box, and rear deck, it's best to only take the panels off once and reduce breaking tabs on the door panels and such. Having them modify the door's for you will cost around $200, maybe more.

PC Richards quoted me for $50 to install head unit, and $65 for the amp. That's $115+ Tax for them to do the hard work. I'm going to have them do that again for my new SC, last time they did my head unit, and only charged me $34 total.
Old 12-01-13, 04:57 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

i was in the exact same problem about a month ago, i ended up going to pc richard who did everything and sold me a set of pioneer speakers, i put it on my credit card cuz im broke lol, however they did mess up the door panels so be careful, i ended up using pieces from my other sc's door panels and working out a discount, i supplied the alpine amp and wires. i used basically an all new set of stock speakers, but i have an entire other set of used speakers from my other sc. total was $334.99. im happy for now, looking to upgrade my amp soon, i deleted my tweetys.
Old 12-01-13, 05:00 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Blasphemy, you can't get rid of the tape player!
Old 12-02-13, 07:52 AM
PoorMike
Driver School Candidate

Just bought the same headunit. I have done a more than a handful of of stereo systems before,
OP have you ever installed a headunit?

As far as the components just as other were saying just take your time dissembling doors! Buy some speaker wire you will most likely need extra speaker wire, i suggest buy some stinger wire (always preferred stinger) but any wire works.

As far as a sub, your best bet is run a monoblock amp and run a sub in your trunk BUT if you want to use the original sub position look for shallow mount subs, I know kicker makes one, kicker is garbage IMO if you have the money I know JL makes a good shallow mount. I'm running a sundown sa12 in my trunk, with a ported box.

Any problems with that HU lemme know!
Old 12-02-13, 08:14 AM
95NCsoarer
Driver School Candidate

having a long history of installing for others everybody else is telling you the right information....

but i beg of you, do it right & get an open air sub. standard subs whether they're shallow mount or not are meant to work in sealed locations and are strictly built to get a controlled volume of air moving.
with an open air sub they'll punch alot harder than a standard sub in the same spectrum without having to be sealed in a box and will last much longer in an open space where they're meant to be used unlike a standard sub that's trying to push controlled air around that's not really there.
Old 12-02-13, 08:24 AM
PoorMike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 95NCsoarer
having a long history of installing for others everybody else is telling you the right information....

but i beg of you, do it right & get an open air sub. standard subs whether they're shallow mount or not are meant to work in sealed locations and are strictly built to get a controlled volume of air moving.
with an open air sub they'll punch alot harder than a standard sub in the same spectrum without having to be sealed in a box and will last much longer in an open space where they're meant to be used unlike a standard sub that's trying to push controlled air around that's not really there.
Exactly - a kicker 10c84, would work perfect free air and shallow!
Old 12-02-13, 02:54 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PoorMike
Exactly - a kicker 10c84, would work perfect free air and shallow!
I just ordered this one Kicker CompVR 07CVR104. It was recommended to me on here, and has a lot of great reviews. When I get it all done I will upload a video, hopefully I made a good choice. If not...I'll probably go with the JL. I had a Kicker L5 in the past and it was great, and I own Kicker headphones that are great, so at $75 I won't be too mad if it disappoints. Then I guess I'll go for the JL unit, but it's more then three times the price.

EDIT: Made my order this morning, apparently the Kicker 07CVR104 is on back order.......so now I need to look around or get it from Amazon for a bit more. OnlineCarStereo has a great deal today for Cyber Monday though I saved about $50 so far on there already cheap prices and got free shipping. They beat Amazon on everything.

Last edited by Biddles; 12-02-13 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-02-13, 08:02 PM
kk93sc3
Driver School Candidate

The guy from MJM just got back to me, so I'm gonna order those adapters tomorrow.

I'm trying to keep the budget under $150 for my front speakers, otherwise the JBL MS-62C's would be a really nice choice. As far as the 6.5's for the rear, I'm alright with cutting up the deck a bit. lol

I'm not gonna go with the Kappa Five after reading through more reviews. The Alpine PDX-5 you recommended is a much better choice but every place I've looked online is selling them for $400+. I want to stay under $250. Let me know how your installation goes.
Old 12-02-13, 08:07 PM
kk93sc3
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know the factory wire gauge for our speakers? I'd rather not have to run wires through the door jams and what not, but I might have to unless someone on here has had success just splicing. I wanna know whether the SQ is still good.

I also have a pretty good idea on how to install all of this. I've read through all of the HOW-TOs and they are extremely helpful.

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Does anyone have any recommendations for a quality 5-channel amp around $250? The only one I can find that seems pretty good is the Rockford Fosgate R600X5.
Any good amp wiring kits?
Also, 6.5" components around $150? I was gonna go with the Infinity Kappa 60.9cs but I keep reading that the tweeter is super big and it seems like it won't fit in the stock location. The JBL P660C seem pretty good.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-02-13, 08:08 PM
kk93sc3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Biddles
I just ordered this one Kicker CompVR 07CVR104. It was recommended to me on here, and has a lot of great reviews. When I get it all done I will upload a video, hopefully I made a good choice. If not...I'll probably go with the JL. I had a Kicker L5 in the past and it was great, and I own Kicker headphones that are great, so at $75 I won't be too mad if it disappoints. Then I guess I'll go for the JL unit, but it's more then three times the price.

EDIT: Made my order this morning, apparently the Kicker 07CVR104 is on back order.......so now I need to look around or get it from Amazon for a bit more. OnlineCarStereo has a great deal today for Cyber Monday though I saved about $50 so far on there already cheap prices and got free shipping. They beat Amazon on everything.
I just might have to order one of these... Let me know how that install goes!
Old 12-02-13, 08:40 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

I went with the Kicker 09ZCK44 Amplifier Wiring Kit. It might be a little overkill for your build, but I've read great things on it. In the past I had Knu Konceptz and they were great, and cheap.

And my speaker adapters shipped today as well, although I might need to modify the mounting width a hair for my JBL's. Still I hope it's easier then making MDF adapters.

I can't believe the PDX-5 is going for $430+ when the superior PDX-9 is going for $405 shipped on Amazon. I swear PDX-5 was $250 on Amazon just a few days ago, apparently it's sold out now... Might want to wait for it to be restocked.

I ordered everything except for the Subwoofer and Dynamat...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: installing complete aftermarket stereo system... need help!!!