SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Questions about my SC that has been sitting for awhile

Old 11-13-13, 03:27 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about my SC that has been sitting for awhile

Hey guys, so I bought a new car a few months ago, primarily because my SC was always having stupid issues where it wasn't super reliable in the long term primarily due to age, with things like the distributor leaking oil, and brakes making weird noises, etc. Now granted the SC never ever left me stranded, but I figured I'd buy a commuting car to get around in until I find the time to mess with the SC properly, and put it away before it actually did break down on me eventually ! So anyway, now my 94 SC300 has been sitting untagged and whatnot for about 2-3 months now, and I noticed a couple things about it that have happened since it has been sitting. It's starting to get colder here in MD, and last time I started it up to let it idle and drive it around for a few minutes was about 2 months ago, when I turned the car off, the radiator area under the hood was making a bubbling/boiling noise (think about overflowing boiling water while making spaghetti lol. it's similar to that sound) while the car is starting to cool down I guess. This never used to happen before the car was sitting this long when I used to drive it everyday. All the fluids on the car were flushed/refilled about 3-4 years ago (about 60K miles ago). I also left my wheels on the car, probably should have put them away for the winter and put the stock ones back on but never got around to it. I'm also worried about these low profile tires flat spotting from sitting these past few months. I have Achilles ATR sport tires all around, running 235/35/19 and 265/30/19 I believe, (don't remember the exact sizes, it's been awhile, but something close to those sizes though). I put STP fuel stabilizer in the gas tank which was full when I initially left it sit, but starting it up and driving it on private property has since lowered the fuel level to about 3/4 tank or so give or take. And I can't go fill it up, because there is no tags or insurance on the vehicle, and haven't gotten around to using a gas can to fill it back up all the way. Not sure if that matters though. Anyway, anyone who has any inputs or opinions on what the radiator bubbling noise is and if I should expect my tires to be flat spotting already or anytime soon would be great to hear. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-13-13, 03:41 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

umm keep the tires inflated if possible to help prevent from flat spots.
Old 11-13-13, 03:47 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

As for the radiator issue, the bubbling COULD be caused by a failed Radiator cap. The coolant boils because the coolant system no longer has pressure. Burp the system and replace the cap...those are my $0.02 anyways...

GL
Old 11-13-13, 04:56 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Okay thanks sounds good. If anyone else has any ideas or advice it'd be appreciated.
Old 11-14-13, 01:58 PM
akora12
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tires will be ok as long as you keep them properly inflated. A few months of sitting won't do much harm unless your tires are under inflated or old. The gas should also be fine unless you plan on having the car sit for a super long time. My boat sits for 3-4 months during the winter with 3/4 of a tank of gas + stabil with no problems.
Old 11-14-13, 02:29 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

the radiator sounds like the pressure is off maybe bad cap or radiator hose is sucking in on itself. tires will be fine as long as you keep them inflated. if they go flat they will microfracture the rubber and create a crease if they sit flat too long. I've got a 65 el camino been sittin on the same white wall tires for about 18+ years and it sits for months at a time. tires look brand new still have the 100mi dimples. i have all kinds of air compressors so keeping them inflated not a problem. great investment. they sell thoes little ones with battery charger would be perfect for you.

My SC has been in repair mode for months now also, started early summer. i've been taking the tires on and off but even today I charged the battery, primed the engine a little by pulling the efi fuse and fuel pump to get oil moving. it stumbled a little bit at first but after things got movin she purred like a kitten. the gas was probably kinda old but the tank was really low and i put almost a gallon of premium in just to start it and get things moving. everythings fine.
Old 11-14-13, 03:27 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400slide
As for the radiator issue, the bubbling COULD be caused by a failed Radiator cap. The coolant boils because the coolant system no longer has pressure. Burp the system and replace the cap...those are my $0.02 anyways...

GL
This is what I'd check first.
Burping the system will get rid of any air bubbles in the system which may have caused the bubbling, and when the radiator cap goes bad the system is unable to maintain pressure which will cause the coolant to boil and bubble at running temperature. The radiator cap fix is cheap (less than $20) so should be done if you're past 120k miles and experiencing this problem.
Old 11-14-13, 06:41 PM
shboni
Pole Position

Don't mean to thread jack but I have almost the same situation with my sc. Mine has been sitting for a few months now. Engine was sold a few weeks back (single turbo 1jz) due to finances, still have R154 thou so all is not loss. Question is I still have gas in tank, and I know the car might be sitting for a while, am I to empty the tank or leave it until I'm ready to start working on what is now again a project car.

Don't worry ppl first is 1 and then next is 2
Old 11-14-13, 07:05 PM
akora12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shboni
Don't mean to thread jack but I have almost the same situation with my sc. Mine has been sitting for a few months now. Engine was sold a few weeks back (single turbo 1jz) due to finances, still have R154 thou so all is not loss. Question is I still have gas in tank, and I know the car might be sitting for a while, am I to empty the tank or leave it until I'm ready to start working on what is now again a project car.

Don't worry ppl first is 1 and then next is 2
You're best off filling the tank and adding some stabil to avoid any water condensation that could be pulled by the ethanol in the gas, which will cause problems when you finally start everything up again. Enjoy the new project!