SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Soarer NAV Headunit

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-03, 10:41 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soarer NAV Headunit

Hey guys i am looking to buy a Soarer headunit. I want to have a JDM look, but i dont need it to work. I just want it to have the cover and put an aftermarket TV or NAV system on the inside... do you think i can make this work? Has anyone tried?

OR

does anyone know if the Soarer NAV software is compatable with the US version

Kevin

THIS IS NOT A WTB AD, this is a post to find out if it would be possible to fit an aftermarket TV in the stock spot.
Old 01-22-03, 10:47 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm...I should be getting the stock nav headunit if all goes well. It's been months now since i've heard from my guy.

I'll let you know if it falls through soon.

Tony
Old 01-23-03, 12:51 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

lexcoupe,
When you say Soarer NAV system, are you referring to the EMV screen or just the normal 2DIN option? BTW the 2DIN option was only available in Soarers from 1997+ (or 1996 I can't remember). The most common you will find (from wreckers/breakers) are from the 1991~1994 V8 Soarer LTDs.
Attached Images  
Old 01-23-03, 01:15 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Soarer_25GTT
lexcoupe,
When you say Soarer NAV system, are you referring to the EMV screen or just the normal 2DIN option? BTW the 2DIN option was only available in Soarers from 1997+ (or 1996 I can't remember). The most common you will find (from wreckers/breakers) are from the 1991~1994 V8 Soarer LTDs.
Do you have any better pictures? I was thinking about that but I heard the software is in japanese and well... I don't speak japanese. Actually I barly speak english (no just kidding).

Chris
Old 01-23-03, 07:18 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
Do you have any better pictures? I was thinking about that but I heard the software is in japanese and well... I don't speak japanese. Actually I barly speak english (no just kidding).

Chris
Sure thing... these are the best I can find though
Old 01-23-03, 07:20 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Originally posted by DIrEctQL

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Soarer NAV Headunit-emvbuttons.jpg  
Old 01-23-03, 07:22 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

There's some guys in Oz that have translated the EMV buttons, but the actual screen is in Japanese unfortunately... and it would cost way too much to get that kinda stuff converted... it'd be more economical to replace the factory head unit with an aftermarket TV system.
Attached Thumbnails Soarer NAV Headunit-buttonsmalls.jpg  
Old 01-23-03, 11:40 AM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

yah yah thats what im talking about! the EMV screen. i dont care if it works, i just want the black casing around it. I want to keep it looking stock interior. but this is just an idea for the time being.

Thanks for the pics Soarer_25GTT!!

Kevin
Old 01-23-03, 07:05 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

No probs lexcoupe!

Actually, what I have seen done is that people in Australia have hooked up anything from DVD players and PS2's to Aus-spec GPS to the EMV, the resolution really is startling! I'm not sure, if you'll be able to fit it however, as some people in Australia have asked if the EMV can be fitted in non-EMV cars and the results have been negative (not trying to discourage you, just giving you a warning!), but it'd be cool to see an EMV retrofit!!

Touchscreen monitors are the *****! Especially when it was released in the Soarer!
Old 01-23-03, 10:12 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

another option you can consider,is the same project i am working on in the future.kenwood has a touch screen headunit that folds out,but you manually fold it down and put it back in.so,fold it out and custom it to the casting and you should have a very stock looking unit with form and function/much like the newer model lexuses....plus you can expand off it some more with options..instead of being confined to the stock nakamichi head unit.

i actually would have kept it all stock but the cd changer is getting on my last nerve(skipping and problems reading disks....)
so.........on with the customizations!!!!!
good luk
Old 01-23-03, 11:28 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by nextlevelcoupe
another option you can consider,is the same project i am working on in the future.kenwood has a touch screen headunit that folds out,but you manually fold it down and put it back in.so,fold it out and custom it to the casting and you should have a very stock looking unit with form and function/much like the newer model lexuses....plus you can expand off it some more with options..instead of being confined to the stock nakamichi head unit.

I like this idea, but i like the TV/DVD/CD headunits that dont flip in/out. I want it to be there all the time. Are there any that would fit this description? I dont mind doing the custom work, thats ok.

Kevin
Old 01-23-03, 11:49 PM
Miles B
Hyundai Driver

Soarer 25GTT: I haven't received my car from Japan yet, so I haven't had a chance to rip the screen apart and see what's in there... how are people connecting DVDs etc? Is there a unit with composite in, or are they cutting up the harness? Any ideas on the pinouts of the screen? I really want to go to work on it.. use the screen for other stuff, maybe translate the menus and reprogram it too. Wouldn't mind a headstart, so I don't have to figure it all out myself
Old 01-24-03, 11:55 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Originally posted by Miles B
Soarer 25GTT: I haven't received my car from Japan yet, so I haven't had a chance to rip the screen apart and see what's in there... how are people connecting DVDs etc? Is there a unit with composite in, or are they cutting up the harness? Any ideas on the pinouts of the screen? I really want to go to work on it.. use the screen for other stuff, maybe translate the menus and reprogram it too. Wouldn't mind a headstart, so I don't have to figure it all out myself
Miles, check your PM