SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My new $250 SC400!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-13, 12:17 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My new $250 SC400!

Whats up fella's. I'm not new to the forum, just the SC forum. I have a 93 LS400 that I have been working on for a awhile. The LS is now a DD and the SC will be my play toy.

I just picked up a 92 SC400 for $250. The motor seems to run pretty good. A fellow lexus owner bought it for body parts for his SC. He took the bumpers, doors, and fenders. He bought the car from a guy who said it had a bad trans. My buddy never tried to put it in gear, he just took his parts that he needed and let it sit.

So anyway, I got it to my house yesturday and put a battery in it and started it up. Checked the trans to see if it would go into any gear. It did, so I put it into drive and drove it around the neighborhood once. Came back and went to reverse into the driveway..... no reverse. Tried Drive again and NO drive this time. We pushed it into the driveway and let it sit for a little while. Started it back up and it goes into gear again.

The fluid level is way too high even when cold. I'm going to drain and refill to the proper level. Any other ideas? Maybe a bad solenoid?

My future plans for this car are to do a 5spd swap, and a single turbo setup on the v8. I was gathering parts to do this stuff on my LS but I think I'll keep it as is and just DD it.

Here's some pics. She's prett rough, but the body is straight and it runs.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
jhgfuy.bmp (1.30 MB, 598 views)
ghch.bmp (1.30 MB, 571 views)
jhv.bmp (1.30 MB, 547 views)
utf.bmp (1.30 MB, 544 views)
hgvcuk.bmp (1.30 MB, 556 views)
Old 10-06-13, 12:32 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

$250 for even a singke part on that car...good deal. Very nice find!
Old 10-06-13, 12:44 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

The A/C even works, lol. I think I want this car just bare bones though. I'm going to pull the carpet and back seat. Getting rid of those heavy as crap front seats too. I want to make it as light as possible. First thing first is to get the trans sorted out. I refuse to re-build the auto. Im either going to ge the auto working myself or swap it out. Its getting a 5spd either way, but if the auto works I will take my time and save up for a r154 instead of the w58.
Old 10-06-13, 01:11 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

I just picked one up for $500 , same year and same color.

Whats the mileage on yours?

Tranny fluid level on mine was also way too high, I think a lot of people don't know that the tranny fluid needs to be checked with the engine running.

My tranny started to act up a bit until I drained it , and refilled to the proper level with Toyota type 4 , runs great now, although kicks into gear a little harder then my 93.

What exactly are your plans going to be?
Old 10-06-13, 01:51 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If you need some parts let me know. Good luck on your find. I would love to pull up at a gas station with all those parts off. Lol

Welcome to the SC land!!!
Old 10-06-13, 06:24 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A running SC for 250, Nice!
Old 10-06-13, 08:19 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
I just picked one up for $500 , same year and same color.

Whats the mileage on yours?

Tranny fluid level on mine was also way too high, I think a lot of people don't know that the tranny fluid needs to be checked with the engine running.

My tranny started to act up a bit until I drained it , and refilled to the proper level with Toyota type 4 , runs great now, although kicks into gear a little harder then my 93.

What exactly are your plans going to be?
Thats my plan for now just a drain and refill. Hopefully it will get the auto working right again. It shifts fine until it warms up and then you have nothing.....

But as far as mods. First I want to get it back together and atleast have it looking like an SC. lol. Then the first real mod will be a 5spd swap, thats why if the auto is a loss I'm not really worried about it. Then I'm going to build a single turbo setup for it. I've already collected a few parts for the turbo stuff.

1JZPWRD - I will be needing a few parts. Mostly small stuff for now, but I'm broke at the moment so its going to have to wait a few weeks. I'm taking my LS to the Orlando meet in two weeks. Should be alot of fun. Thats where all my extra funds are going at the moment.

Here's my LS:
Attached Images
edit.bmp (1,012.6 KB, 447 views)
edit1.bmp (1,012.6 KB, 476 views)
Old 10-07-13, 11:16 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

change the filter on the trans, if its working in and out it just may be a fluid pressure issue, someone just fixed theirs by doing that. drain, replace filter, refill and test is what I would try if you want to keep it and not rebuild.
Old 10-07-13, 12:58 PM
BigPeteSC4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usoff89
Thats my plan for now just a drain and refill. Hopefully it will get the auto working right again. It shifts fine until it warms up and then you have nothing.....

But as far as mods. First I want to get it back together and atleast have it looking like an SC. lol. Then the first real mod will be a 5spd swap, thats why if the auto is a loss I'm not really worried about it. Then I'm going to build a single turbo setup for it. I've already collected a few parts for the turbo stuff.

1JZPWRD - I will be needing a few parts. Mostly small stuff for now, but I'm broke at the moment so its going to have to wait a few weeks. I'm taking my LS to the Orlando meet in two weeks. Should be alot of fun. Thats where all my extra funds are going at the moment.

Here's my LS:
Originally Posted by Ali SC3
change the filter on the trans, if its working in and out it just may be a fluid pressure issue, someone just fixed theirs by doing that. drain, replace filter, refill and test is what I would try if you want to keep it and not rebuild.
I am 95% positive its the filter. I had the same exact problem. Use a putty knife and claw of a hammer to break the seal. Helps A LOT.
Old 10-07-13, 01:49 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice score! I wish I could find one that cheap running no matter the condition and what a price! its worth the parts alone. im droolin like it was mint lol glad it found a good home.

a guy just bought a SC4 for his son's first car for $300 and it's coming along nicely. where are you guys finding these dreamslist.org? lol

hope you get the tranny worked out this could steal of a deal,,, it has M/T swap written all over it for me.
Old 10-07-13, 02:52 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BigPeteSC4
I am 95% positive its the filter. I had the same exact problem. Use a putty knife and claw of a hammer to break the seal. Helps A LOT.
Yeah that's my next move. I did a drain and refill this morning and same thing. No difference. Next will be to pull the pan and replace the filter (maybe clean it) and refill with new fluid again. I just installed a shift kit in my LS a few weeks back so I'm pretty familiar with how to get it apart.

SCstone - I saw his thread too! His car is much cleaner than mine, but I'm a happy camper. I'm not really concerned with this auto in the SC. I'm currently saving up for the trans swap right now. A friend of mine is giving me his w58 out of his RHD supra, but I still might try and find a R154. I know the W58 will be fine with the stock v8 but not after its boosted. I'm sure it would hold up ok if I babied it, but I don't know how to do that.
Old 10-07-13, 10:38 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Got the doors on tonight after work. These are just temp, so I can keep it outside if I need to. I think in the next few weeks I'm going to find a good parts car at the salvage yard and take the whole front end for parts. The doors and fenders that I currently have a garbage.
Attached Images
untitled.bmp (1.30 MB, 309 views)
Old 10-08-13, 04:11 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

yes, definitely drain and fill transmission with genuine T-IV, but also, here are two more likely scenarios that may fix it easily:

● a known problem where aftermarket transmission filters will fall into pan and fluid no longer picks up correctly - fix is using a genuine Toyota filter

● keep in mind that '92 SC400 is the single most common Lexus model for failing ECU capacitors - and one of the symptoms is the car not shifting right and other transmission issues
Old 10-08-13, 07:28 AM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Cowboy. I'm not ruling out the ecu just yet, but I'm going to replace the filter first. I'm pulling the carpet out of this car anyway, so that might be a good time to check out the ecu for any visable damage.
Old 10-08-13, 10:54 AM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Doors, tail lights, and rear bumper are on.

Also the trans is making a whining sound when in park or neutral, but not in gear. Fluid level is good. Sometimes I can get it to go into gear but it takes forever. I cant wait to pull that pan off and see whats going on. Hopefully the new filter will fix it. I have to stop by lexus and get some more fluid.
Attached Images
hgfcuy.bmp (1.30 MB, 251 views)
vjhgv.bmp (1.30 MB, 261 views)
jfuy.bmp (1.30 MB, 310 views)

Quick Reply: My new $250 SC400!