SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

The Path To Black Interior

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-13, 09:20 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Path To Black Interior

Everyone wants it, and it seems to be hard to find a car with black interior...

whats the BEST way to get it? balance between cost and effectiveness

Piece By Piece?
buy a broken SC with black Interior and swap it?
Paint.....? (does this even work...?)

Anyone whom painted their interior awhile ago willing to speak out how well it holds up?

I Myself was going to reupholster the seats in black and then piece in the rest. but I would be very willing to paint the interior if it holds up
Old 07-08-13, 09:57 PM
reodan360
Driver School Candidate

I was also wondering the same. Does anyone know if the interior parts throughout the year interchangeable? I have a 99 and I was wondering if some stuff like the heated seats aren't compatible or something.
Old 07-09-13, 01:48 PM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

Buying piece by piece will probably cost you the most.

If u can find a sc with black interior for under a grand then id say its worth it, full black interiors pop up from time to time and go for around a grand depending on condition.

There are many threads on using SEM and dying/painting the interior with good results if done properly, just have to search for it.
Old 07-09-13, 02:18 PM
rickytsui
Rookie

is the same i did both way and still cant get all piece since is very hard to find good one and when you will it will cost u arm and a leg.
Old 07-09-13, 02:18 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Li Ls4

If u can find a sc with black interior for under a grand then id say its worth it, full black interiors pop up from time to time and go for around a grand depending on condition.

There are many threads on using SEM and dying/painting the interior with good results if done properly, just have to search for it.
This
Old 07-09-13, 02:27 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

easiest is to buy an SC with black interior and swap it, it doesn't even have to be broken SC if both interiors are good you just swap. piece by piece has been done but takes alot of hunting for parts.

interior parts are mostly the same through the years, all years had the option of heated seats, so thats not a year thing just an option thing, but the later model SC's like 99 have perforated leather seats and the older ones are not perforated. also 92 had no airbag on the dash, the rest have one on the dash, but the later years have a different shape and wood panel for the airbag. just make sure whichever dash you get you get the airbag part and wood trim to match that years.
Old 07-09-13, 05:28 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reodan360
I was also wondering the same. Does anyone know if the interior parts throughout the year interchangeable? I have a 99 and I was wondering if some stuff like the heated seats aren't compatible or something.
The only thing I know for a fact isn't interchangeable is the dash glove box and passenger air bag.
Old 07-09-13, 05:34 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Paint should never be an option.
Old 07-09-13, 05:53 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Luxor
Paint should never be an option.
agreed, unless you are a good painter and have lots of patients.

Otherwise buy a wreck SC and at least you can part some parts out to get some money back too. This is the route I have done and cost me about $800 in total for 2000 SC after parting it out. Glovebox and passenger airbag is interchangeable certain years, but not all.
Old 07-09-13, 07:56 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ask yourself what the car will be used for. If it's a daily driver, then you'll want to use OEM parts. If your SC is a show car, you'll want to use OEM parts. The only time I suggest SEM or interior paint is when you drive your vehicle occasionally on the weekends. You'll still want to get certain black pieces such as the window switches and anything that has a white line or labeling painted on it. I went with a half black/half tan combo with all OEM parts. It looks quite good IMO, but other will always judge. It's your car, do what you want with the budget you have. Don't go overboard, it's 20 years old and at the end of the day when you get bored of the lead sled ghetto rocket, you won't get that investment money back.
Old 07-09-13, 09:36 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel lucky that both my SCs have stock black interior, especially my white 95 lol.
Old 07-10-13, 09:21 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have the time and have all good tan/gray parts, then follow Jays link in my signature. if you still want to keep the stock lines for the window switches, etc, then just find those parts. This task should not be done lightly, but is very time consuming. I actually saw Jay;s car day before yesterday and it is holding up very well. It has a few places that needs a touch up. The floor plastic pieces, where your feet normally drags, and the driver side door. Nothing major.
Old 07-10-13, 09:24 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

www.car-part.com, gotta pay to play...

See if you know someone with access to auctions, a smashed SC would cost you hundreds of dollars...
Old 07-10-13, 10:04 AM
PseudoK
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Li Ls4

Yea I can see the result, but what I am looking for is how it holds up 6 months+ later.
Old 07-18-13, 03:54 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

So is there anyone here that painted their interior awhile ago and its holding up well?

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
If you have the time and have all good tan/gray parts, then follow Jays link in my signature. if you still want to keep the stock lines for the window switches, etc, then just find those parts. This task should not be done lightly, but is very time consuming. I actually saw Jay;s car day before yesterday and it is holding up very well. It has a few places that needs a touch up. The floor plastic pieces, where your feet normally drags, and the driver side door. Nothing major.
Ouch, only after 6 months? I dont suppose you have pictures of this?

Last edited by PseudoK; 07-18-13 at 06:35 PM.

Quick Reply: The Path To Black Interior