SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Just curious... Were the SC and Supra built on the same frame?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-03, 12:23 AM
Bentley1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just curious... Were the SC and Supra built on the same frame?

Since I bought my SC, I have noticed that it looks very similar to a Supra. They look to be very close in both size, shape, lines. etc. Were they both built on the same frame? What other similarities do they share?

I've been a long time fan of the Supra. It's cool to drive a vehicle that is very similar, and in some regards BETTER than a Supra.

Check out the pic of the SC I found in the picture gallery, along with a pic of a '93 Supra I found.
Attached Thumbnails Just curious... Were the SC and Supra built on the same frame?-sup-and-sc.gif  
Old 01-04-03, 12:38 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Basically the same frame. From what i remember, the SC is built on an elongated Supra frame (or the other way around, Supra on a shortened SC frame, same difference) which is why some of the parts are interchangeable. This is especially true of the SC300 which has the same 2JZ-GE engine as the non-turbo Supra minus different pistons and rods. Some have dropped in the 2JZ-GTE from the turbo supra into the SC.
Old 01-04-03, 12:38 AM
Lexgendboi
Driver

I believe the SC300 has the same powertrain as the supra nonturbo. That is how people can turbocharge their SC300 or even complete swap of the turbo 2jz-gte. IMO, the SC300's inner strutures is very much to identical to the supra. SC400 however is a little different due to the V8. I think to have an SC3 turbo is great, it both got the luxury and power. If not, i rather go with the supra turbo.
Old 01-04-03, 01:48 AM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

The supra shares the same suspension parts too.

Kevin
Old 01-04-03, 02:34 AM
Miles B
Hyundai Driver

Do SC300s have leather and tv? Over here we get:

Soarer 2.5GT-T: no leather no tv 1JZGTE
Soarer 3.0GT: no leather no tv 2JZGE
Soarer 4.0GT: no leather no tv 1UZFE
Soarer 4.0GTL: leather, tv optional 1UZFE
Old 01-04-03, 03:39 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

We got 2 trims, SC300 (2JZ-GE) and SC400 (1UZ-FE). Leather was optional on 300, standard on 400. TV not an option on either one. Towards the end, I think both models had same list of equipment, only difference being the engine. The 300 was offered with manual until 97.
Old 01-05-03, 03:31 AM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Default umm....

Leather was optional on 2.5GTL...

GT Limited/Luxury with the 2.5L Twin Turbo 1JZ-GTE.
Old 05-09-17, 10:39 PM
Glenn8888
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is300

What about the IS300? Is it on the same or similar chassis to the Supra?
Old 05-09-17, 10:42 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

This thread is 14 years old lol
Old 05-09-17, 10:45 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Can't say they didn't search though lol
Old 05-09-17, 11:33 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn8888
What about the IS300? Is it on the same or similar chassis to the Supra?
No, the IS300 (Altezza in Japan) was a totally new frame design first released in 1998 (Japan). It was designed primarily around the lighter weight 2.0L 3S-GE high revving four cylinder engine but was designed for the 2JZ-GE for export markets. The other engine it was designed for is the 2.0L 1G-FE inline-six non-turbo. The chassis used key Lexus GS (Toyota Aristo) suspension components:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobuaki_Katayama

In the Japanese market it was more or less acknowledged that the Altezza was intended as a semi-practical sporty car intended for modification, what with the availability of a high revving four cylinder mated to a 6-speed manual. In the U.S. it was marketed as a compact luxury sport sedan even though we did get a 2JZ-GE and a manual and optional LSD... which for Lexus was huge.

Nonetheless, the first generation 2001-2005 (USA) IS300 is an overbuilt car much in the same way the MKIV/Soarer/SC is... but it's not the same chassis, no. Most of the performance Toyotas from that time were still over-engineered.

If you're wondering if chassis components are shared between the IS 1st gen and our cars? No, totally different chassis. Only the GS of the same era shares a few components. The engine and general transmission layout/mounting however... yes, all that is shared with the exception of the engine computers and harness wiring being different.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-09-17 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-13-17, 05:41 AM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxor
This thread is 14 years old lol
not anymore!!! Smh lol
Old 05-13-17, 05:47 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I've owned both (SC and Supra) SC was around 550rwhp and Supra is around 800rwhp max. While they are very similar the Supra just feels more dialed in and a driver's car compared to SC. But for fairness my Supra started out as a 5spd NA Hardtop SE basically the base model, cloth non powered seats. It obviously weighs less than SC. I have traction controlled dialed in through the Infinity ECU with R888's all around so the car is very solid even with most of the original bushings which I plan to replace next winter. I loved and miss the SC but the Supra is a totally different driving experience IMO even at 550rwhp like the SC had.
Old 05-14-17, 02:55 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

You're right.... the SC drives like a luxury car (if it's a well maintained and not a beat to sht example).

Supra drives MUCH more rough. More vibration, more noise, way more rattles. Less interior room by far.

Since neither car is great on an actual track anyway and more of a straight line kind of vehicle, especially at those power levels, I'll take an SC all day. But maybe I am partial to a luxury ride as I prefer cars like a GS, LS, LX over stuff like Supra/EVO/Elipse etc.

Basically, to me the Supra felt like what the SC would be if you stripped it and angled the dash towards the driver. Take away some of the sound insulation, use cheaper materials and take away the comfortable seats. Which makes complete sense since the Supra was marketed as a sports car and the Lexus marketed as a luxury GT. It comes down to your preference at the end.

My SC is already extremely loud some times. Loud motor, loud exhaust, loud fuel pumps, etc. I can't imagine having it be even louder, that's why I insulated the entire cabin as much as I knew how. Definitely not a road trip car or a daily driver at this point.

Last edited by 97-SC300; 05-14-17 at 03:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
myLEXsc400 (05-15-17)
Old 05-16-17, 11:05 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
You're right.... the SC drives like a luxury car (if it's a well maintained and not a beat to sht example).

Supra drives MUCH more rough. More vibration, more noise, way more rattles. Less interior room by far.

Since neither car is great on an actual track anyway and more of a straight line kind of vehicle, especially at those power levels, I'll take an SC all day. But maybe I am partial to a luxury ride as I prefer cars like a GS, LS, LX over stuff like Supra/EVO/Elipse etc.

Basically, to me the Supra felt like what the SC would be if you stripped it and angled the dash towards the driver. Take away some of the sound insulation, use cheaper materials and take away the comfortable seats. Which makes complete sense since the Supra was marketed as a sports car and the Lexus marketed as a luxury GT. It comes down to your preference at the end.

My SC is already extremely loud some times. Loud motor, loud exhaust, loud fuel pumps, etc. I can't imagine having it be even louder, that's why I insulated the entire cabin as much as I knew how. Definitely not a road trip car or a daily driver at this point.
Couldn't have said it better...

Quick Reply: Just curious... Were the SC and Supra built on the same frame?