SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Do paint Protection Films Work For Bumper Paint Damage From City Parking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-13, 04:44 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Do paint Protection Films Work For Bumper Paint Damage From City Parking.

Hi,
I park on the street in NYC at least half the week. My bumper was perfect in december when I got it but is noticeably chipped and scuffed now.
Do paint protection films work well for this or will they just get screwed up like the bumper eventually. If it gets destroyed and you have to remove it, does it peel some paint off too?
How much should it cost for an Sc bumper? Are they pre cut?

Thanks
Old 05-08-13, 08:54 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Hi,
I park on the street in NYC at least half the week. My bumper was perfect in december when I got it but is noticeably chipped and scuffed now.
Do paint protection films work well for this or will they just get screwed up like the bumper eventually. If it gets destroyed and you have to remove it, does it peel some paint off too?
How much should it cost for an Sc bumper? Are they pre cut?

Thanks
I don't think a film will do anything to save your bumper from our drivers. Maybe some push bars but that's about it.
Old 05-08-13, 09:03 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

I've had customers with the same question as yours.... The PPF is not designed for those kinds of damages, only rock chips and minor road debris. But, it may still be beneficial depending on how it was hit, how hard, etc.

As long as the paint of your car is either factory painted or has been painted by a very reputable shop (great workmanship) the PPF should not peel up the paint unless a damage that was sustained cracked the paint underneath.

I have never heard back from any customers who got PPF to protect their car from drivers who got their licenses out of a cereal box so I really can't tell you an accurate outcome. But I have had returning customers who had been in minor accidents. Mostly, if the film is damaged and there is no sign the film tore, the paint is fine.

Had a customer who tracks his GT3 RS, wrapped his whole car, another car scrubbed him on the driver rear quarter, paint was fine.
Old 05-08-13, 09:06 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 187
I don't think a film will do anything to save your bumper from our drivers. Maybe some push bars but that's about it.
There is a guy on my block with a nice little S2000. it has holes for tow hooks and he leaves them in poking out of his bumper. It works, no one goes near it for fear of destroying their car.. His bumper is still perfect.
Push Bars would be great too!
Old 05-08-13, 09:13 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by TheAzn
I've had customers with the same question as yours.... The PPF is not designed for those kinds of damages, only rock chips and minor road debris. But, it may still be beneficial depending on how it was hit, how hard, etc.

As long as the paint of your car is either factory painted or has been painted by a very reputable shop (great workmanship) the PPF should not peel up the paint unless a damage that was sustained cracked the paint underneath.

I have never heard back from any customers who got PPF to protect their car from drivers who got their licenses out of a cereal box so I really can't tell you an accurate outcome. But I have had returning customers who had been in minor accidents. Mostly, if the film is damaged and there is no sign the film tore, the paint is fine.

Had a customer who tracks his GT3 RS, wrapped his whole car, another car scrubbed him on the driver rear quarter, paint was fine.
TheAzn,
Thank you for your reply. Just to clarify, what i am concerned with more here in NY is scraping of my bumper when people are bad at parallel parking. The spaces in manhattan are so sought after, people jam their cars into spaces that are too small and scrape your bumper getting in and getting out. After a year on the street every bumper here looks scraped or chipped up pretty badly. I was hoping the film could protect the bumper from the scraping.

SG
Old 05-08-13, 10:02 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

If you can find a shop that can do the PPF, ask them if they can install the usual PPF on your front and back bumpers which should be 3mils thick, and then a second layer of 12mils thick film on high risk areas like corners, centers and any section that sticks out the most.

It will protect the paint from minor bumps and scrapes as long as it wasn't a hard hit. From parking, it should do good but you'll never know if someone parallel parks at 40mph lol

I went to NYC last year and a year before. I saw many cars with black rubber things that hangs over the back bumper lol I forgot what it is called, roadguard or something. Look ridiculous but saves you from idiots.
Old 05-08-13, 10:21 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TheAzn
If you can find a shop that can do the PPF, ask them if they can install the usual PPF on your front and back bumpers which should be 3mils thick, and then a second layer of 12mils thick film on high risk areas like corners, centers and any section that sticks out the most.

It will protect the paint from minor bumps and scrapes as long as it wasn't a hard hit. From parking, it should do good but you'll never know if someone parallel parks at 40mph lol

I went to NYC last year and a year before. I saw many cars with black rubber things that hangs over the back bumper lol I forgot what it is called, roadguard or something. Look ridiculous but saves you from idiots.
Yes, I hate those bumper covers, but i'm exploring all alternatives thoroughly. If this works well, i'll do it as necessary. I have another chance as I just got a 97+ front and rear that needs paint.
Old 05-19-15, 08:33 PM
twitte
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Damage to Clear Bra

I had some damage to my clear bra while driving on the San Diego Freeway (in my Porsche). I hit something metallic that flew up from a car in front of me. Long story short, my clear bra installer removed the damaged section and found out the paint underneath was not damaged. He put a new clear bra on the car and off I went.

Here is a link to the photos I took where my clear bra was removed and replaced on the Porsche:
https://plus.google.com/photos/11416...71464027370241
Old 05-20-15, 07:25 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twitte
I had some damage to my clear bra while driving on the San Diego Freeway (in my Porsche). I hit something metallic that flew up from a car in front of me. Long story short, my clear bra installer removed the damaged section and found out the paint underneath was not damaged. He put a new clear bra on the car and off I went.

Here is a link to the photos I took where my clear bra was removed and replaced on the Porsche:
https://plus.google.com/photos/11416...71464027370241
That is really good to know. I purchased Laminex bumper films and a rubber hanging guard for parking protection but before I got them installed I broke down and got indoor garage spaces for both cars. This costs $1000 per month here in Manhattan (I made a deal for $800). It hurts, but I sleep so much better. It won't last long, we are moving soon.