SC300 Sunroof wont close

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-13, 03:23 PM
Emil
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300 Sunroof wont close

Hi guys

Been a few years since I have been on this forum since owning my GS300, well got a SC300 into the family now running a 1JZ

Now recently got a bit of a problem, the cars new to me still and went to open the sunroof and it opened fine but now it wont close.. so im stuck and I need the car asap as its a daily driver.

I looked at the owners manual and it says that you can remove this one screw to be able to manually open and close the sunroof and after doing that nothing happened at all.. its just as hard to close as normal.

Anyone able to give any advice on how to fix this? I dont really mind never using the sunroof again so I would just like to close it for now and think about fixing it another day.

Thanks guys
Old 04-07-13, 03:42 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Check THIS thread.
I saw domelight fuse and accessory fuse mentioned in that thread. I just searched "sunroof won't close". You can try "sunroof stuck open" also.

(just in case, when you are in the Sc300/400 forum, don't use the white search box in the center, use the one on the right that says "search this forum" so you don't get Gs, Ls, Is answers)

Did you check all your fuses?

Good Luck, I'll do my dry weather dance for you!

Last edited by Studiogeek; 04-07-13 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-07-13, 04:03 PM
Emil
Pole Position

Thank you very much for the advice and link!

Thing is I dont get why it worked for him to remove the screw and was able to move it manually and mine it wont move at all!

But yeah I will look into the fuses tomorrow, I was looking in the fuse manuals but none said sunroof but I guess I was looking at the wrong thing.
Old 04-07-13, 04:07 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Emil

Thing is I dont get why it worked for him to remove the screw and was able to move it manually and mine it wont move at all!

But yeah I will look into the fuses tomorrow, I was looking in the fuse manuals but none said sunroof but I guess I was looking at the wrong thing.
Check the thread again, i think I remember that being addressed. He said something about Lexus putting loctite or similar on the bolt so it doesn't shake loose. He mentioned vice grips I believe but re-read it.
Old 04-07-13, 04:08 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Emil

Ali SC3 mentioned the domelight fuse and accessory fuse in the thread. (and Ali SC3 is quite knowledgable) ;-) EDIT: He also said it may have no effect on the sunroof.

He used a big flathead screwdriver with Vise-Grips to get it open.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 04-07-13 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-07-13, 04:18 PM
Emil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Check the thread again, i think I remember that being addressed. He said something about Lexus putting loctite or similar on the bolt so it doesn't shake loose. He mentioned vice grips I believe but re-read it.
Yeah the loctite was use to keep the screw nice and secure in its place and I have managed to remove the screw so thats not the problem for me. Because thats complete free. It should really be able to be moved manually now but its impossible (without breaking anything)

Im just looking up where that fuse is located. Funny enough my cigarette lighter doesn't work so im thinking it might have had its day
Old 04-07-13, 04:30 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

The CIG fuse is in the 2nd row of blade fuses from the top and 2nd in from the right, blue 15amp.

(Picture compliments of Durrby)
Attached Thumbnails SC300 Sunroof wont close-img_0109.jpg  
Old 04-07-13, 04:39 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Also, the "special tool" they refer to is inserted to crank it closed. That may be the issue but i don't know if it is only certain years. I also have a 95 with no tool-kit.

EDIT! Looks like a hex key will get it closed for you! That is what is on the "special tool" we don't have.
Old 04-07-13, 04:51 PM
Emil
Pole Position

Thank you very much for the picture, always helps!

Its 1 am here in the UK so I got to get to it all tomorrow morning now, but I'm going to go through a the fuses and that makes a lot of sense if there is a crank... because looking at where the screw is taken out of it also has a flat blade effect so im going to sit about playing with that and hopefully get somewhere!
Old 04-11-13, 08:51 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

How did you do?
Old 04-12-13, 09:12 AM
Emil
Pole Position

Ahh well heres the fun parts, we manage to get it closed, me and my brother working together, he pulled the sunroof while I turned with a big screw driver, and we have managed to get it close but as you all may know as the sunroof closes it tilts up a little at the back, so working on that now

its so incredibly hard, doing all this we have to break it down over the couple of days as it kept killing out arms/wrists off, applied wd40 etc to help but didnt make too much of a difference.
Old 04-12-13, 10:08 AM
Emil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
How did you do?
I was just wondering, is it the same motor that is used for tilt?