SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Refinishing my Supra TT wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-13, 06:38 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Refinishing my Supra TT wheels

So i just had my 1997 SC300 repainted, and until I get my car converted to NA-T, I won't have the funds to buy the Work Meisters or SSR Professor SP1s I really want. So for the time being I will be refinishing/powdercoating the TT wheels. So I need advice from the SC community as to what color to go with. I want to do this sometime next week.

My car is Classic Green Pearl, and the wheels are currently pretty scratched up Duplicolor Graphite in color

What color wheels look good on the TT style that would match to the one year only green?
Refinishing my Supra TT wheels-mycars.jpg
Old 04-03-13, 06:59 PM
mikevandam
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in my opinion, OEM color is best
Old 04-03-13, 07:10 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

+1 on the OEM color. It's an OEM style wheel to us and different colors from the original ones just won't flow well with the SC IMO. Either silver or polished if you can find a set.

off-topic, but what center caps are you using for yours?
Old 04-03-13, 07:52 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

polished looks great, but its a lot of work and upkeep is a pain. The wheels were silver before and they looked to bland. I'm looking to spice it up a little while still making the car look classy. Maybe hypersilver?

The centercaps are from the OEM 1996 SC400 wheels.
Old 04-03-13, 08:45 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

GOLD!

Old 04-03-13, 08:51 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

hahahahaha. Gold and green go together, but I'm not sure the Supra wheels can pull it off
Old 04-03-13, 09:34 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Usually I would also say silver or polished..... but that dark titanium color on there now looks amazing. I'd just powdercoat them that same color. Looks clean and original, not like everyone else.
Old 04-03-13, 09:34 PM
Lokz
Driver

wondering if you have a picture of the sc next to yours, wondering what kind of wheels it has. I think silver/ chrome would look better than gold on your car.
- Lokz
Old 04-03-13, 09:41 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got some TT wheels that are also in not the best shape. They the grey ones and I wanted to get them refinished to polished/chrome. Unfortunately it seems the local places charge $200 per wheel to get them chromed, might as well sell these and get new wheels for that price
Old 04-03-13, 09:57 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
polished looks great, but its a lot of work and upkeep is a pain. The wheels were silver before and they looked to bland. I'm looking to spice it up a little while still making the car look classy. Maybe hypersilver?

The centercaps are from the OEM 1996 SC400 wheels.
I thought of doing Hypersilver TT rims. Do it! Hypersilver looks badass. TT wheels are boss.
Old 04-04-13, 08:39 AM
93Gotjuice
Pole Position

Id say gunmetal or a plasma color
Old 04-04-13, 08:41 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I used the Duplicolor silver. My G35 Rays turned out rather better than I anticipated. I also used four coats of clear to provide some sort of protection. They still look like the day I painted them, but I am **** like that. I think they would look good in silver like mine. But yet again, like 97 SC300 stated, they would also good in powder coated in black. Use a photoshop program and see what best suits your needs.
Old 04-04-13, 08:48 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
I just got some TT wheels that are also in not the best shape. They the grey ones and I wanted to get them refinished to polished/chrome. Unfortunately it seems the local places charge $200 per wheel to get them chromed, might as well sell these and get new wheels for that price
200 a wheel isn't that bad of a price for getting wheels chromed. I think I was quoted about the same when I was going to refinish my supra tt wheels.
Old 04-04-13, 09:10 AM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

thank you for all the input, guys!

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Usually I would also say silver or polished..... but that dark titanium color on there now looks amazing. I'd just powdercoat them that same color. Looks clean and original, not like everyone else.
I do like the gunmetal on this car, so that color is definitely in the running. thank you. Should I go a shade lighter, or should i keep it this dark?

Originally Posted by Lokz
wondering if you have a picture of the sc next to yours, wondering what kind of wheels it has. I think silver/ chrome would look better than gold on your car.
- Lokz
That SC next to my green 97 5spd is my 96 sc400 . I'v had that car since '08. It has XXR 521's
Refinishing my Supra TT wheels-521s.jpg

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Yeah thats too much to spend on redoing those wheels. Im looking to get all 4 powdercoated for around $250 total

Originally Posted by Clean400
I thought of doing Hypersilver TT rims. Do it! Hypersilver looks badass. TT wheels are boss.
This color is definitely in the running as well. I'm just curious how the finish would come out

Originally Posted by 93Gotjuice
Id say gunmetal or a plasma color
what is plasma color?

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
I used the Duplicolor silver. My G35 Rays turned out rather better than I anticipated. I also used four coats of clear to provide some sort of protection. They still look like the day I painted them, but I am **** like that. I think they would look good in silver like mine. But yet again, like 97 SC300 stated, they would also good in powder coated in black. Use a photoshop program and see what best suits your needs.
Yeah I used Duplicolor a few years ago on these wheels when they were on my 400, but the didn't hold up too well. Im considering the silver paint because it would be way cheaper.
Old 04-04-13, 09:17 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
200 a wheel isn't that bad of a price for getting wheels chromed. I think I was quoted about the same when I was going to refinish my supra tt wheels.
chroming process is no joke, the prep has to be on point or the chrome will not stick to the bare aluminum. wheels first have to be chemical stripped then sand blasted then nickel plated then chrome plated. Its not some stuff you just spray on wheels. Youre correct 200 per wheel for all that work isnt that bad, if the place is using quality chrome product.

Quick Reply: Refinishing my Supra TT wheels