SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Will removing these "Sharky" sides make my car look better for the time being?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-13, 08:42 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Will removing these "Sharky" sides make my car look better for the time being?

Hi,
I have put off improving the looks of my car to do MAJOR tuneup / service.

I would like to know if any of you have seen an Sc with an aggressive bumper (97+ or more aggressive) WITHOUT 97+ sides (with 97- sides).
I am not ready to paint my 95+ bumper and install it YET but i'm DYING to get these Sharky sides off.
Do you think I can remove the sides without making the looks worse (temporarily)?

Seems to me having JUST an overly aggressive bumper WITHOUT the "sharky" sides may look better (until i redo it all the way i want it)

Anyone have a pic of an Sc with aggressive front bumper but stock 97- sides? How does it look?

I worry about the bumper looking WAY out of place without the sides but it ALREADY looks strange so there is not much to loose. My plan is to get 97+ sides or stay 95 stock.

I may try to take them off today. I hope it is not visibly drilled into the stock sides.

I can't stand another day of people thinking I purchased and installed this KIT!

Please be helpful, there is already a thread where everyone tells me how ugly the body kit and ebay lights are.
I can just re-read that if i'm in need of a good flogging.

EDIT: THEY ARE GONE! SEE PAGE 2!
Attached Thumbnails Will removing these "Sharky" sides make my car look better for the time being?-sunside.jpg   Will removing these "Sharky" sides make my car look better for the time being?-frontish.jpg   Will removing these "Sharky" sides make my car look better for the time being?-side.jpg  

Last edited by Studiogeek; 04-24-13 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-27-13, 09:34 AM
Maserati
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

To be honest, it looks like the skirt was added on to the stock skirt? Try and get under it to see how it was installed, it just looks like an add on to me. Even the front bumper ill run it unpainted to sway the people lol.
Old 03-27-13, 10:07 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Maserati
To be honest, it looks like the skirt was added on to the stock skirt? Try and get under it to see how it was installed, it just looks like an add on to me. Even the front bumper ill run it unpainted to sway the people lol.
Sides surely look like add ons.
I am not going to install the 95 bumper until I have a lip for it. I love the pre 97's with a lip only. It looks really round and dated to me without it.
The bumper comes after the timing belt tuneup, drop, sides and rear perhaps. I only want to visit paint shop one time.
Old 03-27-13, 10:46 AM
MXT4life
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Skirts just looked bolted on, should take them off, maybe even run front-bumper less haha
Old 03-27-13, 11:48 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

They look like just add Ons you can probably take them off
Old 03-27-13, 11:52 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, take them off, throw them in the garbage, and delete any photo in existence of them.

And that's my honest and nice reply.
Old 03-27-13, 11:57 AM
lanning
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would keep it all, paint the car orange and hangout with Vin Diesel.

But seriously just take them off.
Old 03-27-13, 12:31 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Ok,
Not looking good under there. There are some trim parts missing. Looks like there is at least one panel under the bottom of the door and maybe two. There is also something missing behind the door (in front of the rear wheel). Anyone know what those parts are called specifically?

Good news, the halo projectors are off the car finally and the stocks are on it!
Old 03-27-13, 01:55 PM
Maserati
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

No stock skirt under there? oh man,are you able to get some pics of the area? you got brand new headlights?,where did you get them because i'm really considering getting new ones instead of cleaning the old ones :/
Old 03-27-13, 01:59 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd almost be more concerned with replacing the taillights

Seriously though, with the amount of people who go to 97 sides from pre 97, you should be able to find some cheap painted sides to replace the parts you are missing.
Old 03-27-13, 02:48 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take them off asap and thow them in the garbage. You probably just have nothing there and they were just thrown on top of your 95 body. It will look alot better with the stock sides especially looking at it from the sides.
Old 03-27-13, 02:52 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

The tailights must go!
Old 03-27-13, 03:02 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Every modification to that car that was done.....needs to be un-done. So yes, removing the sides will be a good start.
Old 03-27-13, 03:36 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Maserati
No stock skirt under there? oh man,are you able to get some pics of the area? you got brand new headlights?,where did you get them because i'm really considering getting new ones instead of cleaning the old ones :/
I totally forgot to take pics, i will drop it and take pics tomorrow.
New headlights are PRICY! check Sewell for new ones. I purchased junkyard lights in rough shape then restored them. My thread on the restoration is HERE. I just had HID lights installed in the stock housing and they look GREAT!
Attached Thumbnails Will removing these "Sharky" sides make my car look better for the time being?-stklts.jpg  
Old 03-27-13, 03:38 PM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you're missing the side rear quarter panel molding (#75658-24010 number for 92-96 left side) the 97+ sideskirt doesn't have this piece. If you're planning to get the 97+ sideskirts anyway i probably wouldn't bother with it though.

Here's a quick picture to show what I'm talking about.

Quick Reply: Will removing these "Sharky" sides make my car look better for the time being?