SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Tail light short issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-13, 02:45 PM
SCYAL8R
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail light short issue

So after noticing my running lights in the back aren't working and the fuse is blown, I replace the tail light fuse on the kicker panel, and when I run my headlights, the tail running lights will run. And they will run for an indeterminate period of time just fine. However at some point the fuse blows and the tail lights for running lights are gone again.

I've checked the harness and it appears to be properly setup. I believe the next step is to trace all the wiring everywhere to make sure that there is nothing shorted on the wire. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Anyone have any insight as to where I might start or where the most likely source of the problem is?

Thanks.
Old 03-20-13, 03:02 PM
SCYAL8R
Rookie

So, the first time I hit the brakes after turning the car on, I get the yellow tail light symbol on my dash, but the tails remain functional. Also, my brake lights never fail to operate, but the running lights will fail. I have my baby running now and I'm going to see if I can cause the issue to happen.
Old 03-20-13, 03:33 PM
SCYAL8R
Rookie

So she runs for about 20 minutes no problems. Hitting the brake, turn signals, etc. Not able to cause the problem.

Really a weird situation. I can't cause it, but it definitely has happened twice now.
Old 03-20-13, 05:20 PM
Toyboxx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this happen to me occasionally as well. I have absolutely no idea what causes it. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread, hopefully someone can point us in the right direction.
Old 03-20-13, 06:58 PM
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had something similar happen to my tail lights. they would blow the fuse for no real reason. I found that the harness that runs under the drives side trunk floor. where the jack is. I took the harness apart at the connecter and found that water had gotten into it and destroyed the pins. easy fix was to get some pins out of another old harness and swap them then. relocate the harness to a higher spot. hope this helps you out.
Old 03-20-13, 08:22 PM
SCYAL8R
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1980
I had something similar happen to my tail lights. they would blow the fuse for no real reason. I found that the harness that runs under the drives side trunk floor. where the jack is. I took the harness apart at the connecter and found that water had gotten into it and destroyed the pins. easy fix was to get some pins out of another old harness and swap them then. relocate the harness to a higher spot. hope this helps you out.
I'll check that out. It seems to be really random. It occurs but at no particular time.

thanks a lot!
Old 03-21-13, 07:55 PM
95scoarer
Driver School Candidate

i am having this same problem and took my trunk carpet out and found the wires and the clips were wet and all nasty!!!! its impossible to find a sc in a junk yard here anybody know where i might be able to pick one up?
Old 03-22-13, 03:43 AM
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look in the for sale forums. There is a member named aliga
He has afew sc that he is parting out.
As for the water coming in could be from the drain tubes.
I think they come from the sunroof. Or it could be the vent in the floor.
There should be some rubber flaps to keep water out. If not seal that hole some how
And make sure ur drains go threw the trunk floor and those are sealed to.

Last edited by 1980; 03-22-13 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Misspelled name.
Old 03-22-13, 07:46 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a similar problem a long time ago. I would pull the tails and inspect and clean the actual bulb sockets. Mine had a little rust and they cleaned right up with a green scouring pads. Aluminum foil also works well with rust. While I was in there I noticed there were wrong bulb numbers in the sockets. In other words, they had 1156 in the 1157 sockets. Also check the turn/fog lights in the front for the same symptoms. Since then, no more problems. Let us know what happens. Lastly, check all the grounds.
Old 03-24-13, 05:09 PM
SCYAL8R
Rookie

I've been unable to experience the short again. At first it seemed to happen like every couple days at most. I don't drive my SC every day, but the last week or so I've been driving it every day and it hasn't shorted. We're getting snow tonight, so I'll check whether it shorts out after it all melts. Unless I take it out to do some doughnuts in the snow.

Thanks very much for the help BTW, I'm going to check all that stuff. I run Halogen bulbs in my tails, but the right style (1156's).

And I had no problem for years on my other SC with the halogens.

I did remove my sequential signal units, but I spliced everything back together.
Old 03-24-13, 07:52 PM
95scoarer
Driver School Candidate

also you might want to check the break switch. someone told me today to check it. so i think im going to replace it tomorrow.
Old 03-24-13, 07:55 PM
SCYAL8R
Rookie

Originally Posted by 95scoarer
also you might want to check the break switch. someone told me today to check it. so i think im going to replace it tomorrow.
That's the little dealy behind the pedal right? I think we looked at that before. Can that develop a short in it?
Old 03-25-13, 09:08 AM
Dms3603
Rookie

I have a similar problem and i am determined to find a solution. My bulb connectors in my tail lights are extremely bad as far as rust goes, so i cleaned them witht eletric parts cleaner and sand paper. I am going to replace the entire wire harness to the rear in couple of weeks and hopefully that will cure the problem. Btw my tail light not working light has comes on and stays on either until my car gets cool or whenever my car feels like turning it off. Also this could be related somehow but i have an auto to w58 conversion and its been this way for quite a few months now. The problem is my brake light comes on every now and then. Could this be related since it could be referring to my brake light may be going out?( Faulty electrical signal)
Old 03-29-13, 08:19 PM
95scoarer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SCYAL8R
That's the little dealy behind the pedal right? I think we looked at that before. Can that develop a short in it?
some times they just go out also im in search of a lamp failure indicator its a yellow box connected to the harness in the trunk they also go bad and are very expensive.
Old 04-01-13, 01:04 PM
Dms3603
Rookie

i have said lamp failure indicator if you want it just inbox me^

Quick Reply: Tail light short issue