SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Steering not self centering after turn.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-13, 05:58 PM
Aether
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering not self centering after turn.

Just finished installing a new set of rims with the following specs:

Front: 18*8.5+30 (235/40/18)
Rear: 18*9.5+38 (265/35/18)

Had a wheel alignment done and the car is having trouble self centering after pulling out of a turn, I find myself having to assist the steering back to centre.

Haven't encountered any severe tramlining issues as of yet, but that may be down to road conditions being not bad down here. I know that the wheel alignment specs which were done after the rims were fitted were a little aggressive, wondering if I should get it all put back to factory alignment specs?

Done a little bit of research and have been reading up online and found that caster can be a major player in terms of the symptoms I am experiencing, is anyone else able to shed some knowledge before I go and get another wheel alignment done. One of the guys I spoke to said that with such a low offset there is not enough caster adjustment to compensate...is this true?

Have asked for a copy of the alignment specs and will post up here as soon as I receive them...

Thanks,
Old 03-19-13, 05:59 PM
Supruxes
Driver

Tie rods possibly? Steering rack bushings?

I had this same problem on my '94 Sentra SE-R, turns out my steering rack bushings are pretty much gone and the rack itself was moving side to side.

The added weight of the rims along with decent tires probably caused those components to work harder and show their flaws.
Old 03-19-13, 06:27 PM
Aether
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice, but have elminated all of the above with the below...

Have a set of new vlamos steering rack bushes, new front lower and upper control arms, new wheel bearings,
new tie-rods, set of TEIN Superstreet Coilovers, and Vlamos LCA Bushes as well...everything on the front end is basically brand new, and the problem only became evident after fitting the new rims and having the wheel alignment done
Old 03-19-13, 07:13 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm, it definitely sounds like an issue with the steering rack, even though you did get new bushings, I'd suggest you go underneath and still visually inspect the bushings, see if there is any play, and make sure everything looks perfect underneath. Check to make sure the bushings were installed properly.

Otherwise I don't know what to tell you but hopefully someone more competent than me can step in and give you better advice.
Old 03-19-13, 07:31 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I also think it is safe to say it is the steering rack. There is a diy on how to clean the filter and reassemble. I would start with a good flush and clean that filter. If problem persists then replace the rack imo. If you have replaced all the other just do a visual inspection and double check everything.
Old 03-19-13, 09:07 PM
Aether
Driver School Candidate

Will check the steering rack tonight and reply The weird thing is that I had the new rims put on only a week ago, and there was no noticeable steering issue before hand on the drive down to have the wheels changed over. It's only once they were changed and I drove home that I instantly noticed the issue...

Also had word back from the alignment guys as well, and they supposedly lost/do not have the results of the alignment stored on their computer...thus I have no specs of what was done