SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

help dash went out driving to work

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-13, 09:30 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default help dash went out driving to work

Last night i just replaced my dash bulbs with leds and looked great. Drove to work this morning and the dash blacked no needles working only things working was the time and turn signals other than that the dash isn't working. At the time it blacked out i noticed a burning smell too.

Any ideas where to start i looked at fuses but there seems to be no dash fuse. Im at work and would rather not drive home not knowing my speed lol
Old 02-17-13, 12:35 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

There are no direct fuses. You cooked the motherboard by installing something wrong.
Old 02-17-13, 08:16 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
There are no direct fuses. You cooked the motherboard by installing something wrong.
yea i pulled the dash out in the parking lot and there is a nasty burn on one of the ribbons on the center plug

these are the leds i bought, http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-X-3-LED-b...sories&vxp=mtr

im just trying to figure out how this simple plug and play bulbs could go wrong
Old 02-17-13, 08:27 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Burn on the center plug indicates a short circuit near the shifter lights area. The reason why it didn't do it while you were sitting still is because you didn't have it in drive. Guess how I know your car is an auto. Nobody else is going to know this but me. When you put it in drive you turned the "D" light on and the short circuit happened. After you take your cluster apart and see the short right where I say it is without ever seeing it you'll know why they trust me to do it.

Where you in GA? Bring it up to Chattanooga and we'll make it work.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-17-13 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-17-13, 08:39 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

This is the bulb you shorted, the D is to the right in blue.

Old 02-17-13, 09:48 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Burn on the center plug indicates a short circuit near the shifter lights area. The reason why it didn't do it while you were sitting still is because you didn't have it in drive. Guess how I know your car is an auto. Nobody else is going to know this but me. When you put it in drive you turned the "D" light on and the short circuit happened. After you take your cluster apart and see the short right where I say it is without ever seeing it you'll know why they trust me to do it.

Where you in GA? Bring it up to Chattanooga and we'll make it work.
im in north ga, a tad for drive to chattanooga, i have two extra bulbs and another dash i could take apart, should i even attempt to do this again? without that bulb just so i can see what speed im in lol
Old 02-17-13, 10:50 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

You are not going to have any lights until you repair the motherboard. That ribbon wraps completely through the cluster and is double layered. New tracers will have to be made. It will be worth your while to come to Chatty given the amount of work involved to take it apart and make new tracers because ALL the bulbs and every single piece has to come off the cluster to removed the ribbon because it all connects TO the ribbon. I can get from here to 285 @ Windy Hill, Dobbins in 48 minutes so it isn't very far.

As far as doing it again, it seems like what you are doing is not working out. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I could make it work using a different type of setup, but I'd have to actually do it.
Old 02-18-13, 06:34 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

This is why I let OLT do the major stuff. I have installed back light bulbs on 3 clusters and never had a problem. I also used leds from superbrightleds.

At least we know what the problem is and it can be fixed.
Old 02-19-13, 06:11 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

picture of the ribbon that burnt

I have a 92 sc400 dash laying around in the garage that I plugged into my car, nothing lit up either or worked. I've searched and plenty of people had success swapping other sc clusters into their car with the exception of the tacho working.

I also swapped my 95 mother board into the 92 dash with the good ribbons and nothing worked either when I plugged it in. I don't know if the 92 dash was ever working, i pulled it out of a car at pull apart. Gonna try to get my friend's cluster and plug it into my car and see if it at least lights up.

now im getting really scared because I'm not sure if the issue is with just the dash anymore