SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

96-97 (obd2 non-vvti ge) sc300, obd1 non-vvti gte head, ecu?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-13, 07:27 AM
SC3JZGTE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96-97 (obd2 non-vvti ge) sc300, obd1 non-vvti gte head, ecu?

I'm obviously new here, but not to cars or forums. First off, I've searched.

At this moment I am basically scrambling to find a great starting platform sc300 that is in good enough condition to at least be a daily driver, but the cleaner the better, and factory manual is a huge plus. I've found quite a few cars, but only 3 manuals. I'm knowledgeable of obd1 gte so my question lies in an obd2 swap.

I found a 1997 5 speed sc300 for a great price. Is it possible to use a usdm gte non-vvti head on a factory non-vvti obd2 car and pass emissions? Are there any differences in the heads as far as obd1 vs obd2? If you are able to use the head, that brings up a second issue; the ecu. I'm assuming you would have to use a 97-98 factory 6 speed supra ecu. From what I understand, you can't pass emissions on stand alone? If that's the case, if you're using a vvti ecu on a non-vvti car and engine, is a cel immanent?

I like the 97 body style better as most do, but it can obviously be swapped to older models. So if this is going to be a pita then I can just pick up a 93 5 speed sc300 I found for a few hundred less and start from there, but have to worry about paint/body work on top of going gte. Just for clarification, I DO NOT WANT TO GO NA-T regardless of how much better the sfim is on the ge.

Last edited by SC3JZGTE; 02-08-13 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Incorrect information.
Old 02-07-13, 03:30 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The usdm gte motor never came with vvti only the jdm motors come with vvti. The 2jzge motor are the only ones that came with vvti and it started in 98. I have a 97 sc300 and started to install a 97 usdm Tt Ecu in the car. We will see if the check engine light goes away.
Old 02-07-13, 05:36 PM
SC3JZGTE
Driver School Candidate

Ah wtf.... I could have sworn 96 came with vvti AND automatic only for emissions. Oh well... Are there any limiting factors when going obd2 as far as emissions and upgrades? Am i correct about not being able to get an emissions test with a standalone? I can get by with no cats and things like that, basically cel's are the only thing that would cause me to fail.

Also, since all usdm gte heads are non-vvti, is there any difference between obd1 and obd2 heads?

Last edited by SC3JZGTE; 02-07-13 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-07-13, 06:37 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC3JZGTE
Ah wtf.... I could have sworn 96 came with vvti AND automatic only for emissions. Oh well... Are there any limiting factors when going obd2 as far as emissions and upgrades? Am i correct about not being able to get an emissions test with a standalone? I can get by with no cats and things like that, basically cel's are the only thing that would cause me to fail.

Also, since all usdm gte heads are non-vvti, is there any difference between obd1 and obd2 heads?
Lets do a quick break down for Sc300.

92-95 sc300 obd 1 2jzge.
For emission usually these years are sniff from the tailpack so a standalone wouldn't really matter in my opinion. Usually having a cat should do the trick and making sure you aren't idling too rich. I am not totally sure depending on the state but I know in Texas the obd 1 cars are sniffed.

96-97 sc300 obd 2 2jzge
98+ sc300 obd 2 2jzge vvti

OBD 2 cars are not sniffed but instead a link is plugged into the obd 2 port. Its called a CAN bus where the machine can communicate with the ECU to see if everything is operating correctly to gain the optimial emission the car was designed for from the factory. This is why when you have a check engine light on it won't pass emission. Now when you put a standalone in the Emission machine can not communicate with the standalone ecu like that so it will not pass emission inspection.

I hope this help you.

From what i have been told the usdm gte heads are all the same whether its obd 1 or 2. The difference is if its JDM or USDM head and VVTI or Non VVTI. The jdm head doesn't have the EGR port.
Old 02-07-13, 09:09 PM
SC3JZGTE
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I know how emissions work, but wasn't sure if there are standalone's (aem v2, haltech, motec, etc.) that were able to pass emissions tests either from a full tune, or maybe by "tricking" the test... I've never had a standalone unit to date but would obviously need one to do what I'm trying to do with an sc. I currently have a subaru forester xt and an Sti which both share the exact same engine, one is tuned with a Cobb accessport and the other with a tactrix cable and romraider which is opensource. Both pass emissions fine even though I've upgraded both with bigger turbos, catless exhaust and the Sti with injectors and other mods.
Old 02-07-13, 09:15 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

I really don't understand why we can't have something like a cobb accessport or something. It would make life so much easier. Instead we gotta jump through hoops to get emission passing.
Old 02-07-13, 11:19 PM
SC3JZGTE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jwin
I really don't understand why we can't have something like a cobb accessport or something. It would make life so much easier. Instead we gotta jump through hoops to get emission passing.
How much does the factory turbo ecu control? Is there a factory electronic boost controller on supras? If not that could be one of the main reasons...
Honestly I regret every second of ownership of my Sti. I could have had an mkiv by now, but I'm getting rid of it and getting a poor mans supra instead. There are things I like about it and I'm sure I'll miss it from time to time, but having to look at it knowing I could be seeing a supra instead, I'm sure most people would understand my discontent.

My plans going into an sc300 are to set myself up for a supra so everything I spend on it isn't in vain. I hope to build it to my liking, find a supra roller later on and swap everything over and be done with it.
Old 02-08-13, 02:49 AM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

On a GTE i believe there is a VSV that controls when the 2 turbo kicks in so i am guessing it will probably control the boost as well. I think it has to do with how extensive the code is to crack on the toyota ecu and its probably easier just to make a standalone then to try to crack the programing on it. Just my thoughts on why it isn't as easy as a Honda or something.
Old 02-08-13, 03:45 AM
SC3JZGTE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jwin
On a GTE i believe there is a VSV that controls when the 2 turbo kicks in so i am guessing it will probably control the boost as well. I think it has to do with how extensive the code is to crack on the toyota ecu and its probably easier just to make a standalone then to try to crack the programing on it. Just my thoughts on why it isn't as easy as a Honda or something.
Supposedly the gtr ecu was advertised as uncrackable from the factory, but mines cracked it, not 100% sure but I think it has an accessport available as well. Who knows....