SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What would it take to get a spindle grille on the sc400?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-16, 06:22 PM
Chattanoah
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@UZZ-TT (where'd my quote box go!)

Lol, didn't mean to come off with any sort of negative attitude. I kept seeing the red spindle grille SC and when I saw this thread thought I'd add it, I didn't even notice it was one of your photoshopped images! No sass intended and btw those photoshopped SC's are incredibly well done.
Old 11-12-16, 06:36 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chattanoah
@UZZ-TT (where'd my quote box go!)
Lol, didn't mean to come off with any sort of negative attitude. I kept seeing the red spindle grille SC and when I saw this thread thought I'd add it, I didn't even notice it was one of your photoshopped images! No sass intended and btw those photoshopped SC's are incredibly well done.
Oh it's all good- No, I didn't do the red SC. I Photochopped the black and blue versions in various ways based on a photo of that one.

Last edited by GZZ-TT; 11-26-16 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-24-16, 07:08 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Had some fun/Photoshop practice modding Victor's SC with his new spindle grille.
Would love to see the whole car painted w/gloss paint some day.

Photochopped modded version below includes wheel upsizing, shadow delete, stickers delete, wing delete, front fender widening, lip adding, etc.
A simple visualization- no extra salt needed. Also messed with levels and blended some of the paint and rivets here and there:

Last edited by GZZ-TT; 11-24-16 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-26-16, 11:50 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm a fan of the spindle grill...But not on the SC. Nice work on the photoshopping Zach, but it does not work on the SC. The SC is to rounded and curved for it. It needs to be more squared off for it to look like it belongs...My opinion though...

Ryan
Old 11-26-16, 03:06 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400TT
I'm a fan of the spindle grill...But not on the SC. Nice work on the photoshopping Zach, but it does not work on the SC. The SC is to rounded and curved for it. It needs to be more squared off for it to look like it belongs...My opinion though...

Ryan
Aye, Ryan.

A lot of hard lines for a car that was effectively designed using a balloon filled with plaster. The way I see it:

I appreciate the dedication and creativity, it just isn't rubbing me the right way.

Last edited by ThomasGS4; 11-26-16 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-26-16, 03:11 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400TT
That's the funny thing about style, it's completely subjective. While I see your point, I totally disagree. I don't care for the spindle grill much at all on modern Lexii, as it takes on the all-elbows overly angular look of a 2000's Cadillac. But, on the flowing curves of the SC, the spindle grill offers some nice contrast up front. I'd go as far as to say, it looks better on the SC than any other car I've seen it on.
Old 11-26-16, 04:05 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I would like to see a side profile shot. From the front, it doesn't look bad (better than I initially imagined).
Old 11-26-16, 09:10 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

I agree completely, Ryan and Thomas. At the very least (Ideally) the front and rear fenders and side skirts all need to be completely re-worked and re-designed to provide a more angular and chunky style that truly integrates the two different aesthetics... Anything less than that just ends up looking kind of cheap and incomplete, and isn't really fooling anyone.
Old 11-27-16, 03:48 PM
Slaker13
Driver

Originally Posted by UZZ-TT
Had some fun/Photoshop practice modding Victor's SC with his new spindle grille.
Would love to see the whole car painted w/gloss paint some day.

Photochopped modded version below includes wheel upsizing, shadow delete, stickers delete, wing delete, front fender widening, lip adding, etc.
A simple visualization- no extra salt needed. Also messed with levels and blended some of the paint and rivets here and there:
I see this car almost everyday coming home from work parked at a barbershop, I remember seeing it without the bumper and would always do a double take lol , there's usually a couple other sweet rides in there too, always wondered how the owner gets up and down that driveway everyday lol
Old 03-03-17, 08:04 PM
Tret
Pole Position

Here are a few updates from the original, "teacher edits" that UZZ-TT had made. The ones following are built on similar construction as mine since I released some progress shots on Instagram and Facebook (no need for WORLD FIRST historical documentation of hot air). Yes, the DRLs still light up and are not going anywhere. Leon Hardiritt wheels were colored gun metal, finally got my D-Max fenders painted. Mikkel-Style widebody rear coming as well.

Side view as someone requested.

With some SC friends in Hayward, California.

Night in San Francisco. Met some SC friends at a distant car meet.

Rear shot, because...
Old 03-03-17, 08:12 PM
Tret
Pole Position

As for headlights, I'm not content with just O.G. status clear lens or black out housing lights. Here is what I am working on. The first biggest step to getting these powered on is nearing a completion. I will be getting with O.G. status for clear lens, though. Love the dude and I've got nothing but massive respect for his work.

Triple Beams:
The following users liked this post:
ThomasGS4 (03-03-17)
Old 03-03-17, 11:01 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

That's looking pretty slick. The black grille is a step in the right direction. Maybe try photoshopping in some black trim elsewhere on the car to balance it out, like the side skirts or spoiler?
Old 03-04-17, 09:57 AM
Tret
Pole Position

Originally Posted by t2d2
That's looking pretty slick. The black grille is a step in the right direction. Maybe try photoshopping in some black trim elsewhere on the car to balance it out, like the side skirts or spoiler?
I have some more ideas fleshed out on photoshop. I just choose not to release them yet. I think you'll enjoy the overall finish if a figure out some of the intricate ideas I have in store.
Old 04-05-17, 08:59 PM
ki4low23
Driver School Candidate

Tret,

can you help me out trying to get that same build but for my sc430 can you please help