SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Paint Job Costs DIY and PRO (moved from plasti-dipping thread)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-13, 11:14 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Paint Job Costs DIY and PRO (moved from plasti-dipping thread)

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
this is not a proper way to paint your car, plasti dip wont last , its something a teenager would do.

You can paint your own car with a proper finish for $200 or $300 if your on a budget.
sway what ?
Old 02-05-13, 11:25 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

lol ive done it , and will be doing it again the next month or so.

the cost for my last paintjob was on a 2001 honda civic SI, I did a complete re-spray and a clear.

$70.00 for a litre of color matched base(didnt even use the whole can)
$50.00 for clear(1 quart)
$25.00 reducer
$15.00 clear coat hardener
and maybe another $50 for miscelanious items , masking tape, sandpaper, etc...

Ill be doing my SC when the weather warms up and im quite sure my cost will be under $200.00, and these are not inferior products and materials , they are the same things most shops will use on your car. The only difference with the SC is I might pay to have it sanded and buffed afterwards, which will be an extra couple hundred.

I get my materials from a local body shop thats been in the business for a very long time, any of you guys can do the same.

As you can see I already did most of my body work, quarter panel was rusted out completely, i already layed a coat of base over it, front fender was dented badly, little dents and various things on the doors and hood etc...
Attached Thumbnails Paint Job Costs DIY and PRO (moved from plasti-dipping thread)-car-body-work-002.jpg   Paint Job Costs DIY and PRO (moved from plasti-dipping thread)-car-body-work-001.jpg  

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 02-05-13 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-05-13, 11:30 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

this is not a proper way to paint your car, plasti dip wont last , its something a teenager would do.

You can paint your own car with a proper finish for $200 or $300 if your on a budget.
I am driving back up to Toronto when it is paint time!
Old 02-05-13, 11:33 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

lol ive done it , and will be doing it again the next month or so.

the cost for my last paintjob was on a 2001 honda civic SI, I did a complete re-spray and a clear.

$70.00 for a litre of color matched base(didnt even use the whole can)
$50.00 for clear(1 quart)
$25.00 reducer
$15.00 clear coat hardener
and maybe another $50 for miscelanious items , masking tape, sandpaper, etc...

Ill be doing my SC when the weather warms up and im quite sure my cost will be under $200.00, and these are not inferior products and materials , they are the same things most shops will use on your car.

I get my materials from a local body shop thats been in the business for a very long time.
LOL i know alot of people in the paint buisness and i can tell you no real body shop will use 1 quart to paint a car or 1 quart to clear a car. How do you even do that? WTF? it takes about a gallon of each to paint a car.
YOu need minimum of
1 gallon of primer
1 gallon of base
1 gallon of clear
1 gallon of reducer
1 qrt of primer hardner
1qrt of clear hardner
tape, paper, sand paper and lots of it. If you not doing body work you dont need any bondo.
If i would ever to buy a car i much rather buy a rusted out bucket then a car painted with $200 materials
Old 02-05-13, 12:04 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MDSC
LOL i know alot of people in the paint buisness and i can tell you no real body shop will use 1 quart to paint a car or 1 quart to clear a car. How do you even do that? WTF? it takes about a gallon of each to paint a car.
YOu need minimum of
1 gallon of primer
1 gallon of base
1 gallon of clear
1 gallon of reducer
1 qrt of primer hardner
1qrt of clear hardner
tape, paper, sand paper and lots of it. If you not doing body work you dont need any bondo.
If i would ever to buy a car i much rather buy a rusted out bucket then a car painted with $200 materials
with all due respect man they are conning you, unless you are a painter yourself you cannot say you need a gallon of base and a gallon of primer and a gallon of clear,after you thin those your going to have over 5 litres of each and that is WAYYYYY too much, your finish would be like a 1/2 inch thick by the time your done spraying 10 LITRES of material on it. Oh and dont forgot then another 4 litres of primer too . 14 litres all together LOL

The real pro's dont use more material they use much much less because they are much more efficient, few thin coats of base, few nice coats of clear and its done , off to the next one.

Check out the thickness of the finish on a new Lexus, its paper thin they probably use less materials then even i am using since its all done electronically by machines and robots.

I operate a furniture refinishing business , and I can tell you people in my business do the EXACT same thing that body shops do, they lie about material costs,, charge astronomical amounts of money, lie about how long it really takes etc...its a complete joke, body shops are criminals and never to be trusted.

but for the sake of argument lets say your right and you need 1 gallon each of base and clear, thats still not much money.

1 gallon of base here is less then $200, Id say even $150 ish, clear coat around the same $200 or less, then your thinner and hardener and sandpaper etc.... your still only looking at about $500 to $600.

I feel so bad for the poor guy here in Canada that recently made a thread, he paid $11 000 dollars for a little body work and paint job, its sickening, but in the end its his fault completely.

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 02-05-13 at 12:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RMookNasty (01-11-24)
Old 02-05-13, 12:13 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
I am driving back up to Toronto when it is paint time!
lol man, what im going to do is make a thread when i paint my car next month or so, and im going to show everyone the reality of how cheap it can be done for , to put an end to this ridiculous thinking that you need $5000 to get a good paint job, and after that if people want to be suckers and go get ripped off anyways its their business not mine.
Old 02-05-13, 12:35 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with ***** it can be done by a DIY'er that knows what hes is doing for far much less then you would pay a shop to do it and the quality will be pretty much the same if preped and done right. Shops do rip off people not only that they will keep the materials/paint you payed for thats left over to paint other cars. Unless they open the cans in front of you most likely its coming off the shelf.
Old 02-05-13, 12:43 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

i'm not a painter for a day job but i've done alot of painting myself, all over jobs etc. 1 qrt is how much materials you need to spray a bike not a car. You need about 3 qrts of each but you never want to run out of material, primer is also usually a sealer when mixed with reducer so after a few coats of primer you sand it if you brake trough and depending on how bad you might have to reprime that spot/ spots. Then you seal then you lay base. trust me i know what i'm talking about, painting a car is not painting furnuture.Decent body shop materials on a metallic all over usually run about 600-700 and thats just liquids and no masking paper, tape or sand paper. I just bought paint for our GS and it set me back around 1100 for liquid materials alone and thats my cost. Although i'm using BASF products which are some of the best, the clear gallon and hardner alone were almost $600. You get what you pay for.
Old 02-05-13, 12:47 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joey-E
I agree with ***** it can be done by a DIY'er that knows what hes is doing for far much less then you would pay a shop to do it and the quality will be pretty much the same if preped and done right. Shops do rip off people not only that they will keep the materials/paint you payed for thats left over to paint other cars. Unless they open the cans in front of you most likely its coming off the shelf.
you never painted a car properly then so you have no clue what you talking about. Hundreds of hours to prep and paint a car correctly. body shop needs to pay, helpers, painters, body men, managers, front counter people, rent, lights, insurance and paint supplies. Quality overall job should be around 5-7k depending on materials used. It takes 2-3 weeks to do the job right working 5-6 days a week 8 hours a day. I have over 1000 hours in body,paint labor in my car and 2k in materials.
Old 02-05-13, 12:50 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

lol @ 1 qt. what are you doing 1 coat?

of course you could do it for that price if you buy the cheapest material possible and go with thin coats.
Old 02-05-13, 12:59 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

i'm not a painter for a day job but i've done alot of painting myself, all over jobs etc. 1 qrt is how much materials you need to spray a bike not a car. You need about 3 qrts of each but you never want to run out of material, primer is also usually a sealer when mixed with reducer so after a few coats of primer you sand it if you brake trough and depending on how bad you might have to reprime that spot/ spots. Then you seal then you lay base. trust me i know what i'm talking about, painting a car is not painting furnuture.Decent body shop materials on a metallic all over usually run about 600-700 and thats just liquids and no masking paper, tape or sand paper. I just bought paint for our GS and it set me back around 1100 for liquid materials alone and thats my cost. Although i'm using BASF products which are some of the best, the clear gallon and hardner alone were almost $600. You get what you pay for.
yes I would agree with that, and I am also using the bare minimum amount in order to save cash, also when im spraying the same color over a car (respray) I dont feel the need to lay any sealer or primer, I only use primer over my body work or places I sanded down to bare metal.

I also agree its good to buy extra materials if you can, extra base forsure and extra clear just so you have it on hand if you need touch ups in the future or if you make any mistakes but I dont think its absolutely necessary thats all.

I dont know what kind of base im getting, but i do know it is the same stuff the body shop uses itself so it must be good enough although probably not the best brand on the market.

But again I think if your only re spraying a car the same original color you dont need much material as compared to doing a color change or some kind of custom high end job.
Old 02-05-13, 01:05 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
lol @ 1 qt. what are you doing 1 coat?

of course you could do it for that price if you buy the cheapest material possible and go with thin coats.
why would you want to lay thicker coats then neccesary? And im not even going with the cheapest, im going with respected names like sherwin williams and other mid grade brands. Do you think your local body shop is using the super high grade materials ?? No they are using the cheapest stuff possible, stuff they buy by the barrel in bulk, wake up man.

Anyways im done, im giving you guys insight into the reality of it and if you want to ignore it go ahead, doesnt bother me.
Old 02-05-13, 01:07 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

you never painted a car properly then so you have no clue what you talking about. Hundreds of hours to prep and paint a car correctly. body shop needs to pay, helpers, painters, body men, managers, front counter people, rent, lights, insurance and paint supplies. Quality overall job should be around 5-7k depending on materials used. It takes 2-3 weeks to do the job right working 5-6 days a week 8 hours a day. I have over 1000 hours in body,paint labor in my car and 2k in materials.
I have and i know exactly what im talking about. Stop trying to justify your thousand dollar paint jobs to DIYers that can do the same paint jobs for 1/3 of what your willing to pay just so you can say a professional did it.
Old 02-05-13, 01:09 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

why would you want to lay thicker coats then neccesary? And im not even going with the cheapest, im going with respected names like sherwin williams and other mid grade brands. Do you think your local body shop is using the super high grade materials ?? No they are using the cheapest stuff possible, stuff they buy by the barrel in bulk, wake up man.

Anyways im done, im giving you guys insight into the reality of it and if you want to ignore it go ahead, doesnt bother me.
trust me, i know what my shop uses material wise.

in order to clear a car you should use around 1 gallon. are you doing 1 coat of clear? are you not cutting and buffing?
Old 02-05-13, 01:15 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Same here.

Quick Reply: Paint Job Costs DIY and PRO (moved from plasti-dipping thread)