SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Best products for Full headlight restoration (sanding, clear coat etc.).

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-13, 01:53 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Best products for Full headlight restoration (sanding, clear coat etc.).

Greetings,
I am replacing the ebay headlights that came on my car.

I purchased stock headlights and they came today, but need restoration.

After reading ALL of the DIY guides, I have decided to fully refinish inside and out (including projectors) I am confused as to what products would work best.

I went to Home Depot expecting to easily find everything but ran into some issues.

I have the headlights
I purchased a sander/buffer.
I found the black silicon.
I found the Helmsman Spar Urethane (clear gloss) and Mineral spirits.

However......

I asked HomeDepot for the best plastic polish and they had no clue about any at all.
I asked for 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 round sand paper for the sander and they had no clue.
(where does one get the fine sandpaper cut round for a 6" sander)
What pad do I buy for the buffer portion of the job?
I read about a sanding lubricant made for plastic, HD had no clue either.
Plast-X or 3M rubbing compound? What is better?

Am I forgetting something that would help?
Attached Thumbnails Best products for Full headlight restoration (sanding, clear coat etc.).-hl1.jpg  
Old 02-04-13, 02:02 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

almost none of this matters; a few tips ive picked up in refinishing a bunch of friends headlights etc;

NEEEEEEEEEEEEVER work with the back side of the lens (just throwing that other there since youve said inside and out);

unless you have some MAJOR damage, start with 800; end at 2000, or 2500 if youre obsessive; plasticx works great as a finisher.

be sure that your sand paper is 3m, and do everything possible to end up with some sort of clear coat or protective coating. If you have to , sherman williams or a local paint store may put clear coat in a aerosol can.
Old 02-04-13, 02:04 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

OH and to answer your question, any autobody paint store will have everything you need, shapes/sizes/etc for sand paper.

edit as well: my process is usually 800 -1000-1200 - aluminum polish -- plastic polish.

end result

Name:  2012-01-16200522.jpg
Views: 1775
Size:  116.0 KB
Old 02-04-13, 02:10 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

It's not rocket science.

You DO NOT need a buffer to sand the outside of the lenses. In fact, if you use a DA to sand them and you have no experience, you will likely cause more damage. It's super easy to create pigtails and other buffer marks by not knowing when to change out the sanding discs, how to operate the machine (ie. sanding at an angle). Long story short, just do it by hand. I did mine by hand in an hour both lenses.

Next, you do not need any plastic polish, or any polish at all for that matter if you are sanding and coating them. The Mineral Spirits with the Urethane will not hold up as well as automotive clearcoat. It is better than nothing, but it's not going to be permanent from my experience. It's also very soft and will get etched easily in the summer when you get bug splatter on the coating which will ruin the whole thing and require re-application.

The best and easiest way of doing this is going to be something like 320>400>600>800>1000. After you have done that, wash the lens with dish soap, rinse thoroughly, and do a few prep solvent or IPA alcohol wipedowns. Bring it to a bodyshop and ask them to clearcoat the lens. I am not a painter and don't know the technical terms for some of the products they use, but when I gave my lights to my dad, he said his painter first put some sort of clearcoat base (adhesion promoter) before the actual clearcoat. The clearcoat will fill in your sand marks and stick to the lens better. If you are dead set on using the Spar method, than use the same sanding process and prep. Lay it on very thin....it's not clear in color it's yellowish so if you put it on too thick the lenses will not look crystal clear.
Old 02-04-13, 02:55 PM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

I went 400-1000- and than watched a movie mindlessly wet sanding at 2000 grit and finished with plastix.. a little overkill but I'm super **** about the little things
Old 02-04-13, 04:00 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The only thing I have done to my headlights that I thought it needed was wetsand at 1500 then 1000. I used a cutting compound with a wool pad, then used a high dollar polish with a foam polishing pad, then waxed. After this they started to leak after about a year on the car. I took them apart and buffed the inside of them using the Motherspower ball and resealed with 100% black silicone and allowed to dry with zip ties. No more leaky, leaky, plus I bought new vent tubes for the bottom. Good luck with your method.
Old 02-04-13, 04:11 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

Since we're on the topic of resealing headlights; does anyone have input on what sort of adhesive to hold them together in high temp weather?

100% silicone doesnt hold up strong to 110+ degree temps in arizona...figured id ask about that as well
Old 02-04-13, 04:27 PM
SHIBUI1
Rookie

I used a 3M kit from AutoZone. Works great!
Old 02-04-13, 07:12 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up I'm up to 1000 sandpaper so far, so good!

Originally Posted by greens14
NEEEEEEEEEEEEVER work with the back side of the lens (just throwing that other there since youve said inside and out);
be sure that your sand paper is 3m, and do everything possible to end up with some sort of clear coat or protective coating. If you have to , sherman williams or a local paint store may put clear coat in a aerosol can.
Thanks! I'll stay off of the inside period until I know more. I'll see how the outside turns out.

Originally Posted by greens14
OH and to answer your question, any autobody paint store will have everything you need, shapes/sizes/etc for sand paper.
edit as well: my process is usually 800 -1000-1200 - aluminum polish -- plastic polish.
end result

Thanks for the auto body tip. I found it all at Autozone.

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
It's not rocket science.

You DO NOT need a buffer to sand the outside of the lenses. In fact, if you use a DA to sand them and you have no experience, you will likely cause more damage. It's super easy to create pigtails and other buffer marks by not knowing when to change out the sanding discs, how to operate the machine (ie. sanding at an angle). Long story short, just do it by hand. I did mine by hand in an hour both lenses.

Next, you do not need any plastic polish, or any polish at all for that matter if you are sanding and coating them. The Mineral Spirits with the Urethane will not hold up as well as automotive clearcoat. It is better than nothing, but it's not going to be permanent from my experience. It's also very soft and will get etched easily in the summer when you get bug splatter on the coating which will ruin the whole thing and require re-application.

The best and easiest way of doing this is going to be something like 320>400>600>800>1000. After you have done that, wash the lens with dish soap, rinse thoroughly, and do a few prep solvent or IPA alcohol wipedowns. Bring it to a bodyshop and ask them to clearcoat the lens. I am not a painter and don't know the technical terms for some of the products they use, but when I gave my lights to my dad, he said his painter first put some sort of clearcoat base (adhesion promoter) before the actual clearcoat. The clearcoat will fill in your sand marks and stick to the lens better. If you are dead set on using the Spar method, than use the same sanding process and prep. Lay it on very thin....it's not clear in color it's yellowish so if you put it on too thick the lenses will not look crystal clear.
THANK YOU!
I am in the middle of doing them right now. I DID NOT sand with the sander. I am doing them by hand. (Great Save)

Originally Posted by rcchris7
I went 400-1000- and than watched a movie mindlessly wet sanding at 2000 grit and finished with plastix.. a little overkill but I'm super **** about the little things
I like that mindless 2000 thing. I am going to do the same.

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
The only thing I have done to my headlights that I thought it needed was wetsand at 1500 then 1000. I used a cutting compound with a wool pad, then used a high dollar polish with a foam polishing pad, then waxed. After this they started to leak after about a year on the car. I took them apart and buffed the inside of them using the Motherspower ball and resealed with 100% black silicone and allowed to dry with zip ties. No more leaky, leaky, plus I bought new vent tubes for the bottom. Good luck with your method.
I went on and started at 600 and Im currently at 1000. I chickened out on the baking for now as I had loads of nube questions that my paranoia wouldn't let me proceed without asking. I'll sort that out then go on and bake them as I dying to polish those beat up projectors.
I don't see any vent tubes, perhaps I need them as well. I'll look again.
Thank You.

Originally Posted by SHIBUI1
I used a 3M kit from AutoZone. Works great!
I'm just starting the DIY lifestyle and I felt I'd better go in a little harder.
(It (3M) sure was calling me lightly from the shelf.)
Old 02-04-13, 11:33 PM
chicoson
Driver School Candidate

i wet sanded and polished mine. they look like new. if you keep wax on them and keep them clean you wont need to have a shop clear coat them however its not a bad idea.

if you want to prevent moisture in the lense just pop in a silica packet from any shoe store shoe box lol. i had one that would get moisture in the lense but i poped in some silica packets and no more foggy moisture.
Old 02-04-13, 11:39 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

I went slightly obsessive on the 2000 grit, over an hour.

Too late to use the noisy buffer so I hand rubbed some plastx in by hand for a quick preview.

I think they look good already!

Thanks For The Help!

Power Buff tomorrow morning.

Attached Thumbnails Best products for Full headlight restoration (sanding, clear coat etc.).-2000-handx.jpg   Best products for Full headlight restoration (sanding, clear coat etc.).-zoomx.jpg  

Last edited by Studiogeek; 02-05-13 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-05-13, 07:49 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Exclamation Done!

............Done!
Attached Thumbnails Best products for Full headlight restoration (sanding, clear coat etc.).-4done1.jpg   Best products for Full headlight restoration (sanding, clear coat etc.).-7down-1.jpg  
Old 02-05-13, 08:53 AM
93Gotjuice
Pole Position

Dam they look better than new
Old 02-05-13, 09:04 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 93Gotjuice
Dam they look better than new

Much appreciated my good man!
Old 02-05-13, 12:11 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow great job, they look a whole lot better, congrats

Quick Reply: Best products for Full headlight restoration (sanding, clear coat etc.).