SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Clear tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-13, 03:28 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you want all clears, all you have to do is get a set of 97s and a set of 95s... pretty illegal but it looks ****ING AWESOME

oh you meant the red/clear. yea those are gross.
Old 01-22-13, 04:11 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by durtysc300
Is it just me or is the SC turning into the next 240?
Its our duty for the sake of our beloved SC's/Soarer's not to let that happen.
Old 01-22-13, 04:25 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

OH great....
Old 01-23-13, 05:35 AM
chapabig
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CityKnight
I'll pretend I didn't read that ... Please don't.
It makes all of us look bad, by facilitating the thought that SC's are just another little rice-burner-Honda Civic thing, that silly kids drive. "We" are not tacky.

Not to be mean either, but I'll tell ya what those clear lights are really for, and what they do.

1. What they're for:
They're for production companies, to profit off of people who either won't take the time, or just don't have the funds, to properly, and tastefully, modify their cars. Parts like that, get sold to people who are desperate to say their car's "hooked up", kinda like buying crappy wheels, so you can say that "you have rims". Further, this sort of consumer, usually has the idea that mods like this one, are "just a start" before their big Engine Swap, in the future ... Pipe Dreams; never gonna happen. People who do big things, like swap engines, and go turbo, usually "have a plan" ...

2. What they do:
They make you appear as though you're not only cheap, and shop at Pep-Boys, but also have poor taste. Stock may not be everything you want, but the Lexus designers at Calty Design & Research, have more skills at establishing beauty, than these bargain-basement parts distributors. Those clear lights will never make your car more attractive than the factory did. Other cars, eh, I've seen some, but VERY FEW, which clear lights didn't look bad on; but it's not worth it ... The IS-300 is who started it, and the IS-300 is who wins it every time. However, the '97 tails are actually clear, if you look closely; they're just not "chrome" on the inside.

I agree 100%, if you have '95 tails, this is a SWEET look, if you want to show that you're modified, while at the same time appearing tasteful; and it actually does look better than stock, AND you'll appreciate your car a lot more, for the time and effort you've put into it; it's good to feel proud ...
Or again, just get '97 tails.

Thats my .02

Whats wrong with shopping t PEP BOYS?

they got some good sales

oh, back on topic, use the 95-97 tail lights sir, and do the mod mentioned here, Im planning to do the same but im not going to pt the reflectors back on just because I'm evil
Old 01-23-13, 08:26 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've edited some pics of the ebay tails to how i think they should look... might change a few minds about them. all you have to do is paint them and they have potential to look good/different. making the reverse smaller/red changes the whole look, a slight tint/smoke and you got some nice taillights.

^
NOT MY CAR....

Last edited by iridebmx; 01-23-13 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-23-13, 02:14 PM
DriftChris
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After getting to see the headlights and tail lights up close and examine them a few weeks ago I can honestly say they are not of such a terrible quality they need to get ragged on. I actually might buy a set and LED mod them just for fun. Personally I like the tails and they remind me of some of the D1 S15 Silvias that run them. I think personally all the Lexus elite and purist mentality guys should have a more open mind. Sure some people have pretty odd tastes (You do too dont lie lol) but seriously think about when was the last time you saw this on the streets either in Civic or 240 form?

Is this really so bad?

You never see that kind of trash on the road. There are plenty of cool and nice Civics out there yall are so quick to turn your back on The Fast and the Furious but you forget that the aftermarket only exists because of that movie so its a good idea to respect it you might not like it now but there was a time that movie was sick as hell and it got a lot of people into cars and created the obsession we all know and love. Myself included... I couldnt tell a Supra from a Pinto when I first got into cars lol

Sure the 240 is really saturated in the car market because of the popularity of drifting but to knock grassroots 240s or SCs just because you think all SCs need stock looking mods and need to be completely tasteful. Every car has its purpose. Maybe the guy wants to build a baller grassroots car and doesnt want to pay 300$+ for some tails hes just going to break anyway.

I say if you like em go for them. Play around with them and do your best to stay true to yourself and what you like not what a group considers "Cool."

Id rock a set on a VIP'd car and easily be able to make it look cool. Its all about details and execution my man ;] Good luck with your purchase if you get them.
Old 01-23-13, 04:58 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

3 Things ...

1. Nothings wrong with Pep-Boys if you just want Brake Pads, or some Oil.
Everything's wrong with Pep-Boys if you want 3A-Racing Seats, and other Tacky Mods.

2. Silvia Tails are completely different in design. Sure those SC tails have the same chrome/red, but they're not the same shape, and they don't look the same on a different car (SC). Theres more too it.

3. No ... Tasteful mods don't matter. Not at all. Cars like these are perfectly acceptable. Sure.

Further, I didn't say that a car needs to look stock, either; I was implying that mods should appear "proper".
This RX-7 doesn't looks stock at all, but it also doesn't look like one of those ridiculous things up top either.
It's done properly; it isn't cheap, and tasteless, with a bunch of ill-fitting, and useless crap, that doesn't enhance anything, neither aesthetically, nor effectively.
Unless they're satisfied with garbage, and have low-standards, then ... Thats on the owner.

Last edited by SEIDO; 01-23-13 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-23-13, 11:21 PM
Jos
Driver

What he said ^ 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000%

There is no way on earth you can compare doing something the right way (going through the time, the effort and the money to do it right the first time) to doing it like those fan boy's up there...

I like 240' but the SC is not a 240, it's an SC. Let's keep it that way.
Old 01-23-13, 11:36 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jos
..... the SC is not a 240, it's an SC. Let's keep it that way.
Word
Old 01-24-13, 02:46 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

people are way to high and mighty about these cars... opinions are strong in this thread.
Old 01-24-13, 09:57 AM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It *is* my black car in the pics above. I don't mind the lights because I'm not vain enough to think that I must spend $3-400+ on decade-old used tail lights to to be accepted by random strangers. Oh noes, I'm not cool! Dozens of other cars come with the clear/red combo just like that from the factory - even other Lexus models. It looks even better now that the gaudy faded gold emblems have been sprayed metallic silver (leftover touchup paint from an LS430).

These are ricey clear tails:

If we had a GS or LS series, we could buy quality LED tails that look fantastic for next to nothing in cost. The SC was just ignored by the manufacturers.

My car's factory tails were cracked/broken when I bought the car. I prefer this look over the stock orangey-yellow blinkers that scream "welcome to 1990". Unlike many with such strong opinions, I did buy a brand new car in 1992 -- albeit not a Lexus -- but I'm no high school kid with his first car.

Are the lights good quality? Meh - construction is ok but I would go over the seal with clear silicone before installing because I've got moisture in one of them. I have no complaints on fit & finish.
Old 01-24-13, 11:07 AM
DriftChris
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by iridebmx
people are way to high and mighty about these cars... opinions are strong in this thread.
Agreed...

I think you missed my point with those pics... You will never see anyone in any car group roll those types of cars anymore. Its soooo rare to see rice burners from the FnF now and days so grouping cars that use euro lights into that catagory is just ignorant. I digress and I want to get back on task because the OP asked if anyone knew anything about those lights fitment wise or quality.

Fitment wise they fit very well and quality of course they will not be OEM but like my man said it couldnt hurt to use some better sealant. The sets I saw were actually well sealed and had no condensation both the headlights and the taillights.

They wont make your car look gay and cheap, theyre just tail lights.

Plus there was a reason I picked that Silvia instead of a works built car. If that Silvia was an SC people on these forums would have dogged that guy out for running the tails, Not having super proper fitment for the aero and not having paint matched bumpers. Its a grassroots car that someone probably drives every day and he has fun with the car. Hes not trying to look pretty in a parking lot or try to be better than anyone else because of what kind of car he drives.

Last edited by DriftChris; 01-24-13 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-24-13, 11:12 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iridebmx
i've edited some pics of the ebay tails to how i think they should look... might change a few minds about them. all you have to do is paint them and they have potential to look good/different. making the reverse smaller/red changes the whole look, a slight tint/smoke and you got some nice taillights.

^
NOT MY CAR....
nothing wrong with these tailights!!
Old 01-24-13, 12:08 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

OEM>Aftermarket

Period.
Old 01-24-13, 08:25 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CityKnight
I'll pretend I didn't read that ... Please don't.
It makes all of us look bad, by facilitating the thought that SC's are just another little rice-burner-Honda Civic thing, that silly kids drive. "We" are not tacky.

Not to be mean either, but I'll tell ya what those clear lights are really for, and what they do.

1. What they're for:
They're for production companies, to profit off of people who either won't take the time, or just don't have the funds, to properly, and tastefully, modify their cars. Parts like that, get sold to people who are desperate to say their car's "hooked up", kinda like buying crappy wheels, so you can say that "you have rims". Further, this sort of consumer, usually has the idea that mods like this one, are "just a start" before their big Engine Swap, in the future ... Pipe Dreams; never gonna happen. People who do big things, like swap engines, and go turbo, usually "have a plan" ...

2. What they do:
They make you appear as though you're not only cheap, and shop at Pep-Boys, but also have poor taste. Stock may not be everything you want, but the Lexus designers at Calty Design & Research, have more skills at establishing beauty, than these bargain-basement parts distributors. Those clear lights will never make your car more attractive than the factory did. Other cars, eh, I've seen some, but VERY FEW, which clear lights didn't look bad on; but it's not worth it ... The IS-300 is who started it, and the IS-300 is who wins it every time. However, the '97 tails are actually clear, if you look closely; they're just not "chrome" on the inside.

I agree 100%, if you have '95 tails, this is a SWEET look, if you want to show that you're modified, while at the same time appearing tasteful; and it actually does look better than stock, AND you'll appreciate your car a lot more, for the time and effort you've put into it; it's good to feel proud ...
Or again, just get '97 tails.

Thats my .02
They are tacky eh...shall I link your f badge thread

But in seriousness if k2 is the same company that sells the smoked projector headlights then the quality and fit should be fine from my experience. I say if you like them buy them and if you're gonna listen to anyone they better be buying the tail lights for you

Quick Reply: Clear tail lights