SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Speaker caught on fire

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-13, 08:17 AM
grhopper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker caught on fire

While driving to work this morning, the speaker on my passenger door caught on fire. I was able to pull over and blow it out before it could spread. Any idea what could have caused this? 95 SC300 220k miles, everything stock. I plan on taking the door apart to take a loot at things this weekend. What should I be looking for? What size speaker do I need to get to replace it.
Old 01-02-13, 08:20 AM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

sounds like that wire got pretty hot. mightve grounded out then sparked causing an electrical fire...just go to the junkyard and get a stock speaker unless you want to replace your whole system
Old 01-02-13, 09:31 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

could have been water in the door and a wire shorted out

or swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from venus
Old 01-02-13, 09:49 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kohinoor
could have been water in the door and a wire shorted out

or swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from venus
What he said ^^^^^^^^.. On a serious note it is sixe 4 inch if you go back OEM. This would be a good time to redo the whole stereo system in my book. I say it got to hot, talking about the voicecoil it self, or faulty wiring from a ground. Can you explain anything else more precise about the incident?
Old 01-02-13, 10:07 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting, never heard this happening before? Please let us know what you find out. I'm in Louisiana as well, and there's a wrecked SC that I found. I could check and see if the door speaker is available if you like? As 1JZPWRD said, might be a good time to overhaul your current speaker set up. Depending on your budget? LMK, and good luck with getting your problem resolved.

steve
Old 01-02-13, 10:36 AM
grhopper
Driver School Candidate

Can you explain anything else more precise about the incident?
Nothing unusual really. Probably about 20 minutes into my drive and all of a sudden I started seeing smoke from what seemed to be where the door meets the side of the glove box. Then a started to see a glow inside the speaker grill. I turned off the radio, pulled on the side of the interstate ran around to open the door and was able to blow out the flame like a candle. Haven't turned the radio back on yet.

Interesting, never heard this happening before? Please let us know what you find out. I'm in Louisiana as well, and there's a wrecked SC that I found. I could check and see if the door speaker is available if you like? As 1JZPWRD said, might be a good time to overhaul your current speaker set up. Depending on your budget? LMK, and good luck with getting your problem resolved.
Please do check on the speaker for me. I'm not in the position to redo the full system. I'm not sure how much longer I plan on keeping the car, and don't want to put a bunch of money into it.
Old 01-02-13, 10:40 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^Okay no problem man, I will be heading out to check on a trans/oil pan for another member and I'll see about the door speaker for you. PM me ur number and I'll let you know what I find.

steve
Old 01-02-13, 01:30 PM
turbo16lbs
Rookie

Originally Posted by grhopper
While driving to work this morning, the speaker on my passenger door caught on fire. I was able to pull over and blow it out before it could spread. Any idea what could have caused this? 95 SC300 220k miles, everything stock. I plan on taking the door apart to take a loot at things this weekend. What should I be looking for? What size speaker do I need to get to replace it.
Wow that sucks! I can't imagine the expression of the car following you. Ugh.
Old 01-02-13, 01:43 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

were you listening to Skrillex? did he dr dr dr drop the bass? the only time i have seen a speaker catch fire is when we use to plug them into the wall socket when i worked at circuit city.
Old 01-12-13, 12:19 PM
grhopper
Driver School Candidate

Finally got a chance to take the door apart to look at the speaker. I didn't see any problem with the wiring, just the speaker itself. I unplugged the 2 sets of wires connected to the speaker box and turned on the radio. The rear speakers sound fine, but nothing is coming out of the front left speaker. Is this because the front right speaker is not connected, or do I need to take the left door apart and look for another problem? On a side note, it's a shame how good I am at taking the door panels off.

Old 01-12-13, 01:03 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That doesn't look like a stock speaker to me, is the outer edge of the speaker a soft foam and breaks apart when touching with your fingers? If yes maybe that caused the fire making contact with the non-insulting wiring leading to the center of the cone. Just a observation from the picture provided.

Last edited by Teal Sc400; 01-12-13 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-12-13, 01:26 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here I thought I bumped the audio...gl w/ the fix
Old 01-12-13, 02:13 PM
92blacktt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow thats awesome!
Old 01-12-13, 05:10 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Teal Sc400
That doesn't look like a stock speaker to me, is the outer edge of the speaker a soft foam and breaks apart when touching with your fingers? If yes maybe that caused the fire making contact with the non-insulting wiring leading to the center of the cone. Just a observation from the picture provided.
How does that not look stock to you. It even has the Pioneer sticker at the bottom and the Made in Japan...
Old 01-12-13, 05:14 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

wow, thats pretty crazy.

Quick Reply: Speaker caught on fire