SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Not your typical SEM question....

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-12, 08:49 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Not your typical SEM question....

I have completely redone my interior with SEM black landau for the plastics, dashboard, carpet, and misc pieces. I used the leather type SEM GMC black for all the leather surfaces. I usually use a mild soap, like joy detergent or something equivalent to clean everything when needed. My car usually stays super clean anyway for those who has seen it in person.

My question is now since I have painted the seats with it and it has sealed for over a year now, SHOULD I use a conditioner or leather cleaner to held hold up the leather? I didnt know if the conditioner would break down the paint somehow or actually help it for the long haul.

I really cant find any clear and precise answer, so I was wanting to know if anyone has used a great leather conditioner over the painted seats, and if so, has it help preserve the seats at all, or should I just continue to clean them with a mild soap?

I will contact SEM and see what they say, but I wanted to ask here first. Comments welcome.

Secondly, i will be doing another members car on here in the month or two, and waited to get a clear answer before starting, so I could advise him.

Thanks!!!
Old 12-27-12, 11:56 AM
suprahero
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD

I will contact SEM and see what they say, but I wanted to ask here first. Comments welcome.
I would definitely call SEM and do as they suggest. Others on here will probably have a suggestion, but I would think that SEM would have put in lots of research on this before coming out with the product.

I also vouch for the cleanliness of this car's interior. It's soooooo freaking sweeeet!!!!!
Old 12-27-12, 12:10 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Well thanks man. I am awaiting a response from SEM now. I cant believe I am the only one that has thought of this idea. Lol.

I try to maintain the whole car at all times. More people seem to be more interested in the engine bay and not even give the interior a second look. I think the whole car should look clean not one side or the other.

Again thanks for the compliments. .I appreciate it.
Old 12-27-12, 01:51 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

This is the email I sent to SEM.

Dear or madam,

I am writing in regards to this particular product. I have recently, in the past year, properly prepped, sanded, and painted all of my leather surfaces in my car. This is to include seats, front and rear, and console. This is in my 1992 Lexus SC400. Since then, I am wondering if anything needs to be done on the surfaces to properly condition the seats. I am wanting to get the maxium protection against UV rays, and wear marks on my leather. I am wondering if I can or need to apply any leather conditioner, of any brand in particular, to help preserve the leather surface. Secondly, if wear marks arise or creases present themselves, do I need to just respray again on that area? I just didnt know if the paint will weaken or become less flexible in the use of any leather condtioner.

Thanks for your time

I am still awaiting their response. It might be a few days, due to the holiday and scheduling.
Old 12-27-12, 08:18 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the past I have had friends try this which btw they properly prepped the leather and when they used conditioner it made it start coming off so I would stay away from doing this if I were you.
Old 12-28-12, 11:35 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Does your friends actually have a link or pictures of thr before and after?

Still no word on the email I sent SEM.
Old 12-28-12, 01:02 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

ive never used sem but I would definitely bet that the conditioners would loosen and weaken the finish.

I would also bet that SEM will not recomend using any other product other then their own on your seats.

If your going to do your friends seats you might want to look into Leatherique, apparently they are the leaders on leather dye ,everyone has recomended them to me, im going to order some for my tan seats sometime in the near future.

Old 12-28-12, 01:20 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Does your friends actually have a link or pictures of thr before and after?

Still no word on the email I sent SEM.
No they got on this SEM kick and both decided to re dye their leather seats and it was a measureable failure because as soon as they both conditioned their leather the peeling happend within hours of each other but this was on an Infiniti not a lexus not that it really matters, I told them both not to do it but you see how that turned out
Old 12-29-12, 12:06 AM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

I got my interior SEM dyed several years ago now and I was told from my interior guy (mind you he has over 30 years experience in the automotive interior field) to only apply baby soap to a clean white towel used to clean windows (in other words any kind of micro fiber towel or something that will not leave hairs once used).

You basically just dampen the towel in baby soap and then go over the pieces you wish to clean. It is good enough to pick up minor dirt and oils left throughout sitting on the leather on a day to day basis but not harsh enough to take off the finished product using SEM dye.

I'm a bit OCD so I usually do this to my car about once a month since I drive it everyday and it really does not pick up too much dirt (no one hardly gets in my SC but me) but I know its at least taking off the oils I naturally leave behind on a day to day basis. Like I said its been several years and my interior still looks the same as is did when it was first dyed.

Let me know if you have any further questions are want pics of my interior. If you check my signature you will find all kinds of interior photos scattered throughout.
Old 12-29-12, 06:02 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Glad to see this is not a dead thread. Thank you both for the great info. I am still waiting an answer from SEM.
Old 12-29-12, 07:26 AM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Wow, if you can't condition leather that has been sprayed with SEM I'm going to hold off using it on another car. I just wanted to touch up a few worn spots on some seats but I'll live with the blemishes rather than the fear of a rogue spray of conditioner making it all peel off months or years down the road.
Old 12-29-12, 07:26 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great info guys...so hope isn't lost? Awesome thread Mark...I was wondering the same thing? Curious to see what SEM responds with? Either way, this may be in my near future...and if I'm left to using warm soapy water only-I'm fine with this. Worth a clean interior IMO. thx guys!

steve
Old 12-29-12, 09:14 PM
suprahero
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little off topic, but I checked out the web page for leatherique and they have some really good before and after pictures of interiors done with their product. I've seen Mark's interior using the SEM and it looks great. I'm wondering if the black makes it look that good or if it's the product itself. My seats are a light beige or tan so I think it will show flaws a lot easier. I'm thinking of using the leatherique sometime this spring. Maybe SEM will come back with an answer I like and I'll try their product out.
Old 12-30-12, 07:43 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I am thinking they, meaning SEM, would not recommend anything but the mild cleaning like soap and water on any of their surfaces.

I am also raising the question of your friends car that it actually started to peel. Did they properly prep, scuffing the area, use the adhesive promoter and allow sufficient drying time? These are good questions that would make the SEM stick better than allowing the product to break down and look like crap.
Old 12-30-12, 03:11 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

I am thinking they, meaning SEM, would not recommend anything but the mild cleaning like soap and water on any of their surfaces.

I am also raising the question of your friends car that it actually started to peel. Did they properly prep, scuffing the area, use the adhesive promoter and allow sufficient drying time? These are good questions that would make the SEM stick better than allowing the product to break down and look like crap.
Yes and the problem with SEM is that it can't or won't bond to leather as can not penatrate the surface sop it just sits on top where as real leather dye soaks in to the leather it self.

Quick Reply: Not your typical SEM question....