SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Lost power seats, power locks, trunk/gas cap

Old 12-10-12, 10:29 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lost power seats, power locks, trunk/gas cap

Hey everyone. I was messing with the power seat wiring yesterday, and let a power and ground from the seat plug touch, and now my power seats, locks, and trunk/gas cap. I checked the fuses, and they're all good, and I get a clicking sound from the box under the steering wheel when I hit the lock/unlock switch.

Any ideas what my issue could be if it's not a fuse? I'm ruling out frayed/broken wires, since everything worked fine until I started messing with the power seat plug.
Old 12-10-12, 10:52 PM
jmarque7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm the same boat man. I posted after this one lol I was messing with the transmitter box for the master key and wires touched I want to know what needs to b replaced...hope it's not ECU. I just changed that :/

Good luck with yours. Its going to be a computer component I think. Not sure tho...
Old 12-11-12, 08:04 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Did you reset the ECU?
Old 12-11-12, 12:17 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Ya I unhooked the negative battery terminal for a few minutes, then hooked it back up. Nothing.
Old 12-11-12, 12:39 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Considering your 4k + posts, I thought so...

What I would look for next is wires either under the seat or under the hood that cross each other causing a short, identifying what those wires are for.
This is the only thread I could locate with your exact issue. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...al-issues.html

Last edited by SC400slide; 12-11-12 at 12:40 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 12-11-12, 02:02 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Considering your 4k + posts, I thought so...

What I would look for next is wires either under the seat or under the hood that cross each other causing a short, identifying what those wires are for.
This is the only thread I could locate with your exact issue. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...al-issues.html
The two wires from the seat plug are just power and ground. It's the thick blue wire with the white stripe (power), and the white wire with black stripe (ground).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...r-problem.html

This guy had my exact problem, and it ended up just being a fuse for him. Already checked all the kick panel fuses, and all were good. Strange that in this diagram, the lower right fuses are N/A, since that's where the guy in the other thread said the fuse was...

Old 12-11-12, 02:12 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Something I would just check quickly is go through every single fuse and look to see if any are popped. Sometimes fuses that aren't even important, like the cigarette lighter fuse, breaks and so there is not a complete circuit.
Old 12-11-12, 02:53 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Ya I went through all of them yesterday, but I'll probably go back again and try replacing each one, just in case. A couple years ago, I had a brake light fuse that cracked, so at first glance, it didn't look popped, but when I looked closer, after two more days of trying to pinpoint the problem, I realized that it had a tiny crack in the filament.

Hopefully it's just a fuse issue this time too. I get a clicking noise from the box directly under the steering wheel with the two orange plugs when I hit the lock/unlock buttons. Anyone know what that box is, or if I can bypass it if it got fried or something?
Old 12-11-12, 02:58 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously, I just posted the same thread on the performance sub-forumn. I put in a set of cloth Honda Accord seats I bought for $100.00 and sold the old SC seats that needed recovering for$150.00. I offered to cut the old plugs from under the seats to help him do his rewire, with a pair of steel side cutters of course. If I would have only thought to disconnect a battery post first. I found a dome light fuse blown under the hood but it didnt help. I have the same box above the steering column clicking. I tried to unplug it to get it identified but couldnt get the plugs out, super tight. I never thought about unhooking the battery to reset that ECU. If it works Ill be one happy guy.
Old 12-12-12, 02:05 AM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OneJay
Ya I went through all of them yesterday, but I'll probably go back again and try replacing each one, just in case. A couple years ago, I had a brake light fuse that cracked, so at first glance, it didn't look popped, but when I looked closer, after two more days of trying to pinpoint the problem, I realized that it had a tiny crack in the filament.
Good times
Old 12-12-12, 11:35 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Bump, any more ideas people? I'm going to go and individually check each and every fuse tonight. Is there any way I can run power directly to the seat so I can at least get it in the car? Would I be able to do the same thing for the door locks and truck/gas cap?
Old 12-12-12, 04:08 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Tried resetting the ECUs today, left the batt. cable off for half an hour. Turned the key on and waited 20 seconds and no change. Then I remembered the guy on here saying his problem was the far left 30a. fuse on the bottom row kick panel. I know last time I looked directly at it and it looked like new through the clear plastic. I went ahead and unplugged it and it was blown. I went to our small town gas station and he had a tall fuse like it but it was twice the size. Will need to get to the parts house to get a couple.
Old 12-12-12, 04:15 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by over40driv
Tried resetting the ECUs today, left the batt. cable off for half an hour. Turned the key on and waited 20 seconds and no change. Then I remembered the guy on here saying his problem was the far left 30a. fuse on the bottom row kick panel. I know last time I looked directly at it and it looked like new through the clear plastic. I went ahead and unplugged it and it was blown. I went to our small town gas station and he had a tall fuse like it but it was twice the size. Will need to get to the parts house to get a couple.
I just re-read that post, and are you talking about the square fuse below the rows of standard fuses? I was going to take a look at that one tonight.
Old 12-12-12, 04:53 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

#18 on the above fuse chart.
Old 12-12-12, 10:16 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by over40driv
#18 on the above fuse chart.
That was it. I didn't see it because it was right behind where the carpet ended, but turns out that was the one. Replaced it, and everything works again. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lost power seats, power locks, trunk/gas cap