SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Pulled over by the police in the SC?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-12, 08:27 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Pulled over by the police in the SC?

It was on a nice semi warm day this past month. Me and the wifey just got through eating at Cracker Barrel. She left earlier that morning visiting some yard sales. I met her there in the SC. We finished eating and we left together. We pulled out of the parking lot and she turn right first. Well another car came up and got behind her before I could pull out. She then turned left onto the highway and I never saw the car again. I finally made it up to the stop sign to turn right and I had a moment to go. I slowly started to pull out, and then all of a sudden a car decided to switch lanes and come into my lane that I was already committed too. I had two options, stop in the middle of the road, or get the hell on it. I chose option 2. I got into boost and went into second, in boost for a second, then out of it. Never spun the tires, speeded, or anything. Just had to step on it before I got hit. Drove down the road, minding my own business, then a state trooper got behind me. Followed me over a mile. Then he hit the lights. I pulled over and the first thing out of his mouth was, "Do I have a muffler on this?". I said yes sir, unless it fell off.. I am thinking highly unlikely. He said, where you headed, and I told him home. He asked for license, registration, and proof of insurance. He said you know loud this car is, I told him not really, cause the windows stay up normally. He asked me if I got on it, i explained to him that the situation, I had no choice or possibly cause an accident. He told the muffler is too loud and when I got on it, him and his partner heard it sitting in the parking lot. I never saw either of them.. He ended up giving me a ticket for loud muffler, mandatory court appearance, he checked my window tint, and warned me about reckless driving, and the window tint. My window tint is 20% and state law is 35%. The last thing he said, is when a car is this loud, most people want be paying attention to the road, but focusing on where the loud noise is coming from. In the end, I told thanks for not being a ***** and just giving me a warning. I will be fighting this action on my court appearance and seeing exactly how and what determines the excessive loud muffler without a device to check it with.

I wanted to share my story and see if anyone else has been pulled over for something so crazy.
Old 11-13-12, 08:43 AM
Catracho30
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really crazy. actually pretty common. ive gotten a ticket for what they call "modified exhaust" here in fl. which is just some BS. also gotten one for my tints, then again i do have 3% tints all around lmao
Old 11-13-12, 08:47 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

What are the actual true laws in the state of Florida on exhaust? Did they measure it somehow or just gave you a ticket?
Old 11-13-12, 08:48 AM
Jos
Driver

Mine was a couple of weeks ago, after work I decided to get a haircut. Well on the way back I was sitting at a stop light in town when a State Patrol went past me... I didn't think anything until he turned around.

After pulling me over he was the rudest, most arrogant, racist, impolite, disrespectful person I have met in a long time. I'm always polite and tell the truth, any other officer who's pulled me over has always ended up walking away smiling. This guy would have ticketed his own mother.

After about 30 mins of sitting talking to him he told me I had an 87$ ticket for no license plate on the front, after I'd explained I don't have a bracket so my license plate won't stay, it has to not swing as per state law... Oh well I'll fight this later I thought.

Then he proceeded to tell me I had a 127.50$ ticket for my window tint...Now this is something I was not aware of was illegal. Seeing as the cop that pulled me over before never said a word ... talk about continuity in the law...not. I was doing absolutely nothing at that point...just ridiculous.
Old 11-13-12, 08:50 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stock exhaust with a QTP Electric cut out is your future solution
Old 11-13-12, 08:54 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Originally Posted by Jos
Mine was a couple of weeks ago, after work I decided to get a haircut. Well on the way back I was sitting at a stop light in town when a State Patrol went past me... I didn't think anything until he turned around.

After pulling me over he was the rudest, most arrogant, racist, impolite, disrespectful person I have met in a long time. I'm always polite and tell the truth, any other officer who's pulled me over has always ended up walking away smiling. This guy would have ticketed his own mother.

After about 30 mins of sitting talking to him he told me I had an 87$ ticket for no license plate on the front, after I'd explained I don't have a bracket so my license plate won't stay, it has to not swing as per state law... Oh well I'll fight this later I thought.

Then he proceeded to tell me I had a 127.50$ ticket for my window tint...Now this is something I was not aware of was illegal. Seeing as the cop that pulled me over before never said a word ... talk about continuity in the law...not. I was doing absolutely nothing at that point...just ridiculous.
Does this cop also work part time in Alabama? I think we had the same cop. LOL I think the tickets giving are what we are driving, if we have all the paperwork, and how much we kiss their butts with mam's and sir's in every sentence. Have you been to court yet about the tickets? I was wondering on your approach on how you went about it and the outcome.
Old 11-13-12, 09:09 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine was pretty weird... I got pulled over for driving too slow. It wasn't even my fault, 'cause the SUV in front of me was driving really slow, and didn't want to overtake 'cause of the cop behind me, afraid that he might think I'm speeding. Who would've thought she'd pull me over for the exact opposite.... Anyways, it's in a small town here in San Diego, which everyone from here knows how tight asses the cops are there. When we got to the left turn stop light, the cop switched lanes to my right side, so I had to slow down some more, 'cause I really wanted to overtake the SUV in front of me, but that's when I realized the cop slowing down to get behind me again, then she hit the lights. I pulled over, told her the situation soon as she asked me "if this car can go any faster". Then she comes up with a BS violation, saying that she's also pulling me over 'cause I had a rosary hanging on my rear view mirror. And just my luck, I left my driver's license at home that night, but still got off with a warning.

I also got pulled over for tint once, good thing was that the tint was peeling off about halfway through the window, and soon as the cop saw it, he said to just completely remove it since it looks ugly anyways. Got off with a warning on that too.
Old 11-13-12, 09:14 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Well I was also in the same situation like you. I got off on a warning on 2 supposedly violations and one stupid ticket for a excessive loud muffler. I am now looking for the state laws here in Bama for how they measure it or is it left up to the cop and their discretion.
Old 11-13-12, 09:19 AM
Jos
Driver

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Does this cop also work part time in Alabama? I think we had the same cop. LOL I think the tickets giving are what we are driving, if we have all the paperwork, and how much we kiss their butts with mam's and sir's in every sentence. Have you been to court yet about the tickets? I was wondering on your approach on how you went about it and the outcome.
I talked to one of my friends at the local precint. I always help her out at work and talk to her alot. She told me that if I went to court I'd end up paying more because of the fact that my "excuse" was that I was unaware of the situation. I paid my tickets, mounted my plate and have a note for my window tint Hopefully, I'll get no more friggin tickets.
Originally Posted by KingPhilip
Mine was pretty weird... I got pulled over for driving too slow. It wasn't even my fault, 'cause the SUV in front of me was driving really slow, and didn't want to overtake 'cause of the cop behind me, afraid that he might think I'm speeding. Who would've thought she'd pull me over for the exact opposite.... Anyways, it's in a small town here in San Diego, which everyone from here knows how tight asses the cops are there. When we got to the left turn stop light, the cop switched lanes to my right side, so I had to slow down some more, 'cause I really wanted to overtake the SUV in front of me, but that's when I realized the cop slowing down to get behind me again, then she hit the lights. I pulled over, told her the situation soon as she asked me "if this car can go any faster". Then she comes up with a BS violation, saying that she's also pulling me over 'cause I had a rosary hanging on my rear view mirror. And just my luck, I left my driver's license at home that night, but still got off with a warning.

I also got pulled over for tint once, good thing was that the tint was peeling off about halfway through the window, and soon as the cop saw it, he said to just completely remove it since it looks ugly anyways. Got off with a warning on that too.
Seriously? Was this on a highway? That makes no sense... Oh well, at least you got warnings haha! for cop attention when driving an SC.
Old 11-13-12, 09:23 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jos
Seriously? Was this on a highway? That makes no sense... Oh well, at least you got warnings haha! for cop attention when driving an SC.
Nope, the first happened in the main road of that small town, the second was on my way to my daughter's school to pick her up. And yeah, I'm happy I didn't get a ticket, 'cause everybody I know who got pulled over in that town always get a ticket...

Oh yeah, ever since I got pulled over in that town, I try to avoid it as much as I can, if I really need to drive there, I take backroads... They really have an eye for modified cars there. From what I heard, it's like a training ground for new cops, 'cause the crime rate is low since it's a small town, so it'll be harder for the noobs to reach their quota. Good thing though is that the cops their only last a few months before they get transferred to their permanent location....

Last edited by OG Dada; 11-13-12 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-13-12, 09:26 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

What pisses me off is that they let people ride around on Harleys (which are wayyyyy louder and more obnoxious than any car I've heard)... yet they give people **** for having loud exhaust on their car. I'd rather listen to Ricer Civics drive by all day long than one Harley (no offense... I just hate how they sound)....
Old 11-13-12, 09:29 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

my white stock bodied sc with wheels and a drop, no tint, stock muffler, got me pulled over like twice a week and was even accused of being a drug dealer/gang member, because of the 1uz gas guzzler i even drove the car much slower

but my black 1jz swapped sc, kitted, tinted windows, full exhaust with a decent loud exhaust, much lower, lots of stickers everywhere, and scrapping everywhere, only got me pulled over when i was actually speeding

I don't get cop logic sometimes and both cars follow the same route but the cleaner less law breaking looking white sc got pulled over way more than my black sc

I even drove the white sc much slower
Old 11-13-12, 09:35 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
What pisses me off is that they let people ride around on Harleys (which are wayyyyy louder and more obnoxious than any car I've heard)... yet they give people **** for having loud exhaust on their car. I'd rather listen to Ricer Civics drive by all day long than one Harley (no offense... I just hate how they sound)....
Apparently that's not the case... I met a hardcore Harley rider once, and he told me it really depends on the cop, the town you're in, and how you drive. He said he had gotten pulled over once or twice for his loud exhaust. It's funny how we ended up with that conversation, 'cause I actually commended his Harley for not getting attention from cops from it's loud exhausts.
Old 11-13-12, 09:40 AM
Jos
Driver

KingPhilip - I don't get how they can pull you over for driving too slow at that point. There's not a minimum speed limit is there? If there is, I do believe every cyclist should be pulled over for that exact reason. Agreed, I avoid cop infested areas as much as possible now.

97-Sc300 - Definitely on your side with this one. AAANNNDDDDD it's worse cos we have all those guys with the friggin straight piped trucks making far more noise than us too! Yet, no tickets for them. The law is there for a reason, the reasons just aren't equal for everybody.

chnk - Um, yeah, because that makes sense!
Old 11-13-12, 09:46 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jos
KingPhilip - I don't get how they can pull you over for driving too slow at that point. There's not a minimum speed limit is there? If there is, I do believe every cyclist should be pulled over for that exact reason. Agreed, I avoid cop infested areas as much as possible now.
I was thinking the exact same thing. It doesn't make sense. But more likely that's why she came up with the BS violation of having an obstruction on my rear view mirror, even when the rosary is hanging behind the mirror...

Quick Reply: Pulled over by the police in the SC?