SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Steering column issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-12, 01:10 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Steering column issues

Sup fellas. I have another awesome thread about my demon possessed vehicle. I've had a loose, vibrating steering wheel for a while now and I've finally decided to do something about it.

I've replaced many suspension components over the years which hasn't helped. At 60mph, the steering wheels shakes. Then at 65-70, it's really bad. So basically, I never drive this vehicle over 70mph, which has helped me avoid the possibility for a speeding ticket lol. I've read every thread countless times and I decided to bring it to a mechanic down the road. He gives me a call and says the steering column is the culprit. So after work my coworker drops me off at the shop (the SC is my daily). The mechanic tells me to sit in the car without the key in the ignition. He lifts the hood, grabs the column with his hand, and shakes it. My steering wheel inside the car rattles just like it does at 60+mph.

Just like all mechanic shops in my area who want to make money off of parts, he says that I should probably replace the whole column. I believe he is correct and maybe, just maybe this will fix it.

I've looked at Carson...and man, this is an expensive part. I'd be looking at $360+ for the upper and lower shaft (Part 3 & 4 below).

Are there any parts that might be more inclined to failure? There are so many pieces on, or near the steering column and I don't know where to begin.

I mean, look at this labyrinth of parts....

Does anyone else have a bad steering column and replaced it? Did you find something simple or was the solution to replace the entire thing?

Last edited by Tabaka; 11-09-12 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-09-12, 01:22 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

im not a mechanic but i doubt u need to replace the entire thing, theres probably a bushing or bearing or rubber piece that is known to wear out, hopefully someone can chime in with some real knowledge though.
Old 11-09-12, 03:59 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

I have the entire thing, but I don't think after shipping I'll be able to help you much on getting it cheap. The unit weighs what a small car does.
Attached Thumbnails Steering column issues-parts-009.jpg  

Last edited by O. L. T.; 11-09-12 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-11-12, 11:47 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Holy cow that thing looks huge and heavy. Any idea if any specific part inside that piece can be rebuilt? My mechanic believes it's more of a "knuckle" issue on the steering shaft universal joint.

Normally I would make a video for you guys to see but I need two people...one person to shake the steering column from under the hood while I record the steering wheel shake from the inside cabin.

Last edited by Tabaka; 11-11-12 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-11-12, 12:54 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

The good news if you find a complete piece is that it's MUCH easier to swap the entire unit as a whole (4 bolts and the whole things falls out) than to disassemble it. I think I had this one out of the parts car in less than 20 mins. Everything unplugs right there behind the ignition and then 4 main bolts hold the thing in place. The shaft simply has that little clamp on it to align the splines.
Old 11-12-12, 07:45 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Sent you a replied PM OLT.

Curious about the installation tips you might have since this will be a DIY project. Is there a bushing on the steering column? I'm having a tough time understanding why it actually shakes.
Old 05-24-18, 07:24 AM
Richardjii
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I have the entire thing, but I don't think after shipping I'll be able to help you much on getting it cheap. The unit weighs what a small car does.

my Lexus steering wheel locked and won’t unlock Lexus said I need to replace steering column assembly the multiplex and actuator. I found used parts all from the same vehicle and connected will this work or do they need to be brand new.
Old 06-27-18, 01:11 PM
Richardjii
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Richardjii

my Lexus steering wheel locked and won’t unlock Lexus said I need to replace steering column assembly the multiplex and actuator. I found used parts all from the same vehicle and connected will this work or do they need to be brand new.
can anyone help me please
Old 10-18-21, 12:57 PM
martE
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hello,

Has anyone had a problem like this on their SC? I already replaced the u joint shaft which I thought was the problem but after switching to another one, the noise and movement is still at there. Would this be the shaft bearing? 1992 SC. I’m stumped