SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sc300 1jz Upgrade path questions. Forum Noobie

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-12, 06:33 PM
SoarerKid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Sc300 1jz Upgrade path questions. Forum Noobie

Hello fellow lexus folk! I'm a newbie to the forums and the Sc300 platform but not to the engine building/tuning game. A little of my background history.

I have a 9 second 2nd gen awd eagle talon tsi awd as my race car. Car made 723awhp @ 37psi on an old T04Z on my hyundai 2.4L block. Built and tuned myself

My mr2 made 319 whp with a stock 3rd gen swap 3sgte I swapped myself (this was my daily driver)
and I also have had a few 240sx swapping/using the Sr20det installs and an FC rx7 with a 13Brew swap from a cosmo front clip.

Anyways I recently sold my Mr2 because I have owned it for the last 6 years and wanted to start a different project and a new Daily Driver. I recently picked up a 92 Sc300 stock w58 5spd for a great price about a month ago. The body is in perfect condition and is mechanically sound. The only problem is that is has a 4x4 looking stance, airbag light is on and the paint( champagne color) is starting to shed the clear coat in some place)

Ok, onto the upgrade path questions. So far I've been exploring the forums for the past month reading tons of useful info. But I've run into a few problems which I have questions for.
I've decided to go the 1jz route as I am a fan of going with the engine that the car came with stock in japan. Plus I ran into a friend that sold me a very low mileage 1jz (25,000 kilometers) he had personally found in japan and shipped to the states.

Engine mods:
Stock (practically brand new 1jz) shortblock
Ported and Polished Head from Saum Engineering (local race shop)
BC titanium springs and retainers
BC 272 cams
arp head studs
arp main studs
arp rod bolts
brand new crank /rod bearings
hks head gasket
Titan Cam Gears
Greddy timing belt
Fluidampr crank pulley
All brand new OEM water pump, oil pump and all engine sensors
Brand new lower Rear sump oil pan w/ welded -10 oil return
DM t4 mani
DM intake gasket

So far the engine is 90% complete. I still need a fuel rail either stock or aftermarket, injectors, afpr, MAP sensor. and some other small things. Also that turbo is a turbonetics T72, it was thrown in by my friend since he won't be using it anymore. I don't have that turbo anymore, I helped out a friend and traded him that turbo for a gt3071r T4 plus he gave me cash on top. Anyways it seems like a small turbo for a 2.5L but whatever I'll try it out.

Now this is going to be my Daily driver and I didn't want anything more than 500hp MAX!!!! hell 400-450hp sounds perfect to me for this build.

This is where I am running into problems. Now I hear of tons of guys running on the cheaper side of things doing fine with 550 injectors and an SAFC. Should I waste 1200+ on an AEM for just 400-500 hp? Is there a better way to spend my money for a goal that is not excessive? I have an 1jz Auto harness with an Auto ECU its got the 4 plugs. What is the easiest plug and play way to get this swap up and running. Also is there a way to get around extending the 1jz harness? Are there companies that make an extended 1jz motor harness? If its one thing I absolutely hate doing is rewiring an old harness.

2ndly I was going to rock out the W58 because its not broken yet and shifts great. I see R154 deals go up like every other week for 1500-2500$ seems kinda pricey but you do get alot of stuff with those deals. I want to use my money more towards suspension and wheels, and finishing the swap and throwing another chunk towards a dice roll working r154 seems kinda dumb to me when I can use that w58 that I already have. Thoughts?
Old 09-13-12, 07:04 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you really built and tuned a 7xxwhp awd dsm car then you'd easily be able to figure out all the questions you just asked.
Old 09-13-12, 07:10 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

okay I'll play nice. safc works. you want a great running car, go the aem v2. Nut up and just extend the damn harness at the body plugs and use driftmotions aem v2 which has a jumper harness to go to the honda box plugs which will probably get you in the ball park. Go ahead and get the aem map sensor, and sell your cams for some stock ones or 264s if youre looking for 500whp.

Oh, and drive easily with the w58 when youre making power in that range. People say they can handle their fair share of abuse, but hard driving over 400tq is probably not gonna last long.
Old 09-13-12, 07:26 PM
SoarerKid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vrank
okay I'll play nice. safc works. you want a great running car, go the aem v2. Nut up and just extend the damn harness at the body plugs and use driftmotions aem v2 which has a jumper harness to go to the honda box plugs which will probably get you in the ball park. Go ahead and get the aem map sensor, and sell your cams for some stock ones or 264s if youre looking for 500whp.

Oh, and drive easily with the w58 when youre making power in that range. People say they can handle their fair share of abuse, but hard driving over 400tq is probably not gonna last long.
I appreciate your advice, And yes, I did figure I would get a comment such as the one you first replied with, I can assure you I do own and have built my dsm. I can have two entire forums vouch for who I am and what my car did. Anyways I will say that I do not have any experience with the Sc300 and so fourth but I do under stand that with enough money I could just buy what I know works and be fine but I'm running out of the money I put aside for this project and I'm trying to see what would be the best place to focus the money on...