SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What do you think this SC400 is worth? (kinda long, lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-12, 04:53 PM
Matt300ZXT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think this SC400 is worth? (kinda long, lots of pics)

Been a while since I posted here but had a guy offer me a car for my 300ZX Twin Turbo and thought I'd see what you guys think this car is worth since I've been out of the SC community a while. I'll just copy and paste his ad:

Sooooo... the SC wasnt exactly what I wanted. Its a gorgeous car, but after driving the MS3 for so long, I miss it and I want something a little smaller with 4 doors that is quick and fun to drive. (I really just wish the MS3 was RWD.. lol) I bought this at the beginning of the year, and have been fixing minor things as I go.. (i.e. PS leak, leaky sunroof, heater hose leak, headlight re-seal) Not really 100% set on getting rid of it, I just drove two other cars recently, and Im set on a change.

Completely stock engine wise, recent timing belt/wp/plugs/wires/caps/rotors, Greddy Trust Catback in mint condition, all kept totally polished. Tom's Advox Coilovers, just ordered Whiteline Sway bars Ill be putting on here soon, and it has Enkei Raijin wheels on brand new Hankook Ventus tyres. Added a Megan CF roofline spoiler, and tinted it 10%, 30% on the windshield. Also have a sound system with 10" sub Ill add in the next week or so (the factory head unit is on the way out).

Honestly... car is mint. It is really in great shape, which is why I bought it. No dents, good paint job a few years ago, and it looks freeeeeeesh after my detailer cleaned it up. Interior is great, tear in the normal spot on the driver seat, minor crack on an AC vent, but has the 2000+ climate control, Soarer steering wheel, updated lights for the guages that all work (common SC issue). Updated to the 2000+ aero and taillights. Also has Soarer front and rear badges. Has a clean Carfax and comes with Lexus Certification.

As I said, really not in a rush to sell, not even sure if I will. Its just a great condition car that should go to someone who cares about having a clean car to cruise around in and less about a track-oriented car than I do. It would be a waste to try and make a clean car like this a track vehicle.

Ill put up more pics if there is interest. I have $6600 invested, would like that back out. I am possibly interested on trades for a very clean S13, or Kouki.... however Im really wanting a Mcoupe or an RX8 to LS1, so Im being kind of picky as far as trades go. Never hurts to ask!!

He's going to send me some more pics tomorrow. He lives in Florida and I'm in Chattanooga, he runs a Carquest in Tallahassee. He's going to Kentucky Wednesday and will be passing back by Sunday and says he can stop by since it's not too far out of the way and that way it's no big deal if either of us want to pass on the deal.

Since he posted the ad, he says he's installed BC BR type coilovers on it, ordered a new radio/amp, and replaced all belts/hoses, thermostat and battery. He also mentioned he put in a locking differential but could put a stock open back in it if I preferred it. He hasn't had it long and the p/o had replaced the timing belt parts so that's practically new.

Let me know what you guys would say the car is worth according to the pics and the information.
Old 09-02-12, 05:04 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Kind of like what I went through. What year is that SC? I traded my 93 SC400 in MINT condition for current TTZ, back then it had some running issues but I really wanted Z again badly. SC400 are great cars like you probably know but it can get kind of boring. I had N/A Z32 before SC and even though it wasn't fast it was alot of fun and I missed that fun when I had the SC. So on craigslist, by some random luck I found my Z. He said he really wanted something with a back seat for his newborn but I think he was trying to get out of Z scene after he found out he needs to put alot of money onto it to run right and he's not a diy kinda guy.

Long story short, do you really want to get rid of your Z32? I woun't... But then again it's your money, your decision. I think it'll be more fair if it's an SC300 with potential for turbo conversion. I think that SC's worth around $5000 tops. Good luck
Old 09-02-12, 05:21 PM
Matt300ZXT
Pole Position

It's an idea I've been tossing around for a bit, selling/trading it for something else. It's making a good bit more power than the SC400 of course, but getting close to stock turbo limits. And as you know, having to buy 2 of everything gets old after a while lol

BTW it's a 95 Lexus.
Old 09-02-12, 05:34 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

You still will be buying two of some stuff on the V8 also. The distrubuter caps, rotor buttons, mufflers, cats, 02 sensors, and so on. I have always wanted a 300TT when they first come out in 1990, especially the red one with charcoal grey interior with Bose stereo. They really did their homework in the department of the redesigned Z. After knowing more about cars now than I did back then, I would hate to change even the plugs on the Z, just no freaking room. They are nice, but compared to the SC, it will be close. I like them both, but if you want something different, the SC might impress you, maybe not in power, but in overall relaibility and comfort with the sound of a V8. Choice is yours on the trade.
Old 09-03-12, 04:41 AM
Matt300ZXT
Pole Position

I'm more than familiar with the 400s...had one for 3 years lol. Was just curious what the used lexus sc market value is on it to work up a trade deal if i decide to get it.
Old 10-01-13, 12:22 AM
TTschmitta
Driver

Could go 1j/2j route and have plenty of go fast options to rekindle the love lol but I'm sure you know this already
Old 10-01-13, 03:53 AM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

i agree no more than 5,000 for that car. as far as trade, i would test drive the car first to make sure their are no surprises and to see if you like it compared to your current car.
Old 10-01-13, 05:47 AM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just paid $7500 for mine. It's my third. 65k and needed almost nothing. I certainly thought it was worth it BUT if you're waiting to find that niche buyer just for the sake of making a few hundred dollars more, I wouldn't bother. SC owners or seekers are particular about color and condition and mods
As for boring, find another V8 Japaenese in production or even one in the design phase from any of the big names. You won't. Tough to make the 1uz g faster. But the motr is bullet-proof and that means alot to me and others as well.
Then there's the sound.....
But wouldn't hold out for more than anything more than $5500.