SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Custom Instrument Cluster in OEM housing

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-12, 01:05 PM
KennethP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Custom Instrument Cluster in OEM housing

I see so many threads about bad gauge clusters on older Lexus vehicles. I'd like to start a discussion on the kind of fabbing swapping in aftermaket speedo, tach, fuel and water temp gauges in the factory cluster would take. I'd like to still retain all the factory warning lights but just wire in and mount gauges. I havent seen where it has been done on a Lexus before and I wonder if anyone else has had a similar idea.
Old 08-20-12, 01:10 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

There has been similar ideas. Some have completely removed the factory unit and hand built a new cluster. Some have chose to run seperate gauges for other items. It all depends on what the person likes and can get away with. If you decide to tackle any of the wiring, post your findings with pictures and steps.
Old 08-20-12, 01:19 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

if i keep my car this is exactly what i had planned to do with my cluster... atleast i think we are on the same page..

i was going to open my cluster. cut out abs plastic to the shape of the inside and cut holes for each gauge in it. tach, mph, fuel, boost, etc. then put it back together and clip it back into its factory location.
Old 08-20-12, 01:46 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Try the search button https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-in-sc300.html
Old 08-20-12, 03:29 PM
KennethP
Driver School Candidate

Yes chm, we're on the same page. I was thinking the Autometer 4889 and related gauges. Thanks for the searched link O.L.T. but, the goals in that s2000 gauge thread don't really apply here. I do like the idea about the newer IS guages one of the posters mentioned but it doesn't seem like that got off the ground.

Possible replacement gauge.
Old 08-20-12, 03:47 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Kenneth, wish you all the best with your project...definitely keeps us posted. Enjoy your stay, and welcome to the CL family!

Steve
Old 08-20-12, 05:43 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by KennethP
Yes chm, we're on the same page. I was thinking the Autometer 4889 and related gauges. Thanks for the searched link O.L.T. but, the goals in that s2000 gauge thread don't really apply here. I do like the idea about the newer IS guages one of the posters mentioned but it doesn't seem like that got off the ground.
That's one of 46 results, I'm obviously not going to list them all, but it's an example. There are some threads with stack gauges that got replies.
Old 08-20-12, 08:39 PM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always wanted to use a GS style cluster with our cars. Just wont work though (pretty sure) and those fussy clusters are a little too expensive to play around with.
Old 08-20-12, 09:24 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KennethP

Possible replacement gauge.
SWEET! I like that idea! I hope you can figure it out. I was thinking that there must be a way to eliminate the cluster all together and have something custom. Something like a lot of the old hot rods. They would just get rid of the whole cluster and start from scratch. These look nice:

http://www.ampcustomshop.com/gallery/9831/11394

Auto Meter makes a nice product!
Old 08-20-12, 10:13 PM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC400DAVE
SWEET! I like that idea! I hope you can figure it out. I was thinking that there must be a way to eliminate the cluster all together and have something custom. Something like a lot of the old hot rods. They would just get rid of the whole cluster and start from scratch. These look nice:

http://www.ampcustomshop.com/gallery/9831/11394

Auto Meter makes a nice product!
Those are sweet gauges, i believe those are the ones in Caroll Shelby's super snake. Good looking pieces in person
Old 08-21-12, 06:44 AM
4thHorsemn
Pole Position

Well depends on how deep your pockets are. You could get a standalone and a racepak cluster, not very necessary if your keeping the car around stock trim. But it's definitely going to display any read out you need
Old 08-21-12, 10:07 AM
Jacj3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On the newer ISx50 gauges I've looked into those and it would be the typical wiring pain in the *** after fighting with the paddle shifter install I was doing I just stopped.

Now I have thought about this gauge thing a lot actually which is why I plan on going digital on my setup the gauges are nice but ugh they are hmmm... Known for ricey stuff, I'll just post a pic.

They are made by Drift...
Speedo 3 3/8"

Tach 3 3/8"

I think if taken apart a removing the Drift logo from them they would work good. They have more http://www.shopdrift.com/Products/El...iumSeries.aspx
Old 08-21-12, 02:49 PM
KennethP
Driver School Candidate

SC400Dave those hotrod gauges are sweet. I also like the ISx50 style gauges posted by JacJ3. Brerrabbit one cheap OEM cluster to play with could be the 1st gen IS300. I see those for a $100 bucks or less all the time. I like the stack gauges O.L.T. but they are way out of the price range. My key thing was hoping to use the stock housing and still keep the warning lights for all the systems. Maybe make a plate that fits the aftermaket gauges that has icons and leds for the warning lights. I'll have to make some measurements and look over the wiring diagram in the FSM.

Just found this thread. It' exactly what I'd like to do.

http://teamzx2.com/threads/19949-Bui...-gauge-cluster

Interesting note: The Ford ZX2 won't maintain a charged battery without one of the circuits from the OEM gauge cluster. I wonder if the the SC has any caveats like that?

Last edited by KennethP; 08-21-12 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Adding link found after post was made.
Old 08-21-12, 03:20 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

JacJ3 - Those gauges are pretty sick.
I like the Soarer's digital gauges also, but I'd prefer the color to be a cool-blue.
Old 08-21-12, 04:13 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Default Cluster App for smart phones!!!!

I can't believe I just found a gauge cluster app for a smart phone. Know just figure out how to tastefully doc an IPad where the cluster is and create an app for that and, voila! Instant cluster! LOL......

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...29tLnNwZWVkIl0.

Quick Reply: Custom Instrument Cluster in OEM housing