SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Classic Car Insurance for JZ Swaps ????

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-12, 08:39 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Classic Car Insurance for JZ Swaps ????

As many of you know that I have recently completed my swap. My question is, what is everyone using for their insurance now? I want a company that will cover the entire bolt, motor, turbo, and so on. I have it currenlty with GEICO, and took additional covergae out for the wheels, tires, headunit, and interior. I called them today and they offer a classic car insurance but the car is not considered a classic due to it not being 25 years old.

I want insurance that will cover it all, so who is everyone using, approx. cost and so?
Old 07-23-12, 08:59 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think you are screwed on the special insurance. you pretty much changed the whole car with tranny and motorswap. i don't think there is special "swap" insurance. the best you can do iirc is just get full coverage as it's a regular sc400. and hope to god none hit's you.

what iam going to do is the same ive done with my s13 swap. just have liability and not tell them about the swap. they don't need to know with basic coverage.
Old 07-23-12, 09:04 AM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep receipts!!!! I was in an accident with my old 300 and had receipts for the aftermarket parts on my car. My insurance reimbursed me for those costs. Granted, I had full coverage on her as well.
Old 07-23-12, 09:17 AM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

I have liability on mine.

my logic is the shell is pretty much worthless, its the drivetrain thats worth $$$... and the insurance companys dont really care about what drivetrain it has

If i were to have full coverage i would basically pay what the car is worth in 2-3years just in insurance payments, and as we know it doesnt take much to total these cars now a days. If they totaled it they would take it away and wouldnt give you much back without fighting them. then you would have to buy the car back to get the drivetrain.

this actually happened to me not too long ago. In october 2011 I wrecked my black sc300 with 1j swap. The insurance would have totaled it but i had only liability. So I took the car to my shop, found a running and driving sc400 that just had a respray for 2k and swapped everything over to the new shell when i was ready. I had more money put away from my insurance being lower, and i didnt have to fight with the insurance on how much the car was worth and i didnt have to worry about buying it back. I was able to take my time to find the shell i wanted and be on my way
Old 07-23-12, 09:33 AM
moosejaw2
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Call up Grundy and Haggerty and see what they offer?
I believe Allstate offers a replacement value policy based on your receipts.
Don't know if you daily drive or not but in general Classic Car Insurance wont cover those.
Old 07-23-12, 09:52 AM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

I do know that with our classic cars (1940 Plymouth, 68 GTO, and 70 Chevelle) we had to have them appraised before insurance was added. These all have classic car insurance on them, and have limitations on the mileage that can be added to the cars a year.

My suggestion, and heaven forbid you do get into an accident, just strip the car before insurance takes it. I pulled off soooo much stuff of my old SC when the driver came to tow her away, he didn't even check to see if there was an engine in the car
Old 07-23-12, 10:59 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by moosejaw2
Call up Grundy and Haggerty and see what they offer?
I believe Allstate offers a replacement value policy based on your receipts.
Don't know if you daily drive or not but in general Classic Car Insurance wont cover those.
YFI: Grundy name has changed to Philadelphia indemnity.^^^^^^
They insure my RHD Supra

Originally Posted by TweakTech
I do know that with our classic cars (1940 Plymouth, 68 GTO, and 70 Chevelle) we had to have them appraised before insurance was added. These all have classic car insurance on them, and have limitations on the mileage that can be added to the cars a year.

My suggestion, and heaven forbid you do get into an accident, just strip the car before insurance takes it. I pulled off soooo much stuff of my old SC when the driver came to tow her away, he didn't even check to see if there was an engine in the car
You can have an independent appraisal done with the value stated and try submitting that to the carriers and see if they will quote you based on the appraisal.
As a side note all specialty carriers I've dealt with require a DD for the grocery getter and some have mileage restrictions,minimum age of 25 for all drivers,must be garaged, etc,etc,
Might I suggest you try progressive as I have a few buddies insured (full coverage) with them and they do allow a certain stated value but check for your own satisfaction.
GL
Old 07-23-12, 11:06 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you need agreed value insurance.

lots of insurance companies offer this type of insurance for modified cars.
Old 07-23-12, 11:23 AM
Vortes
Lead Lap

Every state is different, in Arizona you can get classic insurance if your car is 15 years or older, isnt your daily, and is garage kept. The classic insurance gives you emissions exemption. Beware of all the restrictions though with classic cars, you can get mileage restrictions along with the other stuff i mentioned at the start of my post.
Old 07-23-12, 11:24 AM
moosejaw2
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have grundy as well on my FD
Premium is coming up...$330/year
Old 07-23-12, 12:48 PM
Flygfsh
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 1970 Plymouth Cuda, agreed value insurance at $145k if something happens to it. Annual cost is $900. No mileage limitations, just the understanding that it is not driven daily.

I had called them about my 84 Supra, have about $10k into it. They wouldn't cover it because I want to drive regularly. My insurance is with State Farm, $30 / month full coverage. They provided a letter that if something happens, I just need to provide reciepts for all the $$ invested.

Same with the SC400. Blue book is low, but I have reciepts for $$ spent on it. $39 / month full coverage.
Old 07-23-12, 12:50 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blk&blu*j
YFI: Grundy name has changed to Philadelphia indemnity.^^^^^^
They insure my RHD Supra

You can have an independent appraisal done with the value stated and try submitting that to the carriers and see if they will quote you based on the appraisal.
As a side note all specialty carriers I've dealt with require a DD for the grocery getter and some have mileage restrictions,minimum age of 25 for all drivers,must be garaged, etc,etc,
Might I suggest you try progressive as I have a few buddies insured (full coverage) with them and they do allow a certain stated value but check for your own satisfaction.
GL

u are correct sir... i have progressive and they do offer coverage on add ons and mods.

1) it is so expensive its not worth it. imo
2) if by chance ur motor gets stolen, ur factory one is worth more to them then an aftermarket one so why would u want to get less money back? better to leave it like u have a factory motor.
3) one and two were enough for me to tell the guy at progressive, "im kidding man, my car is stock"
Old 07-23-12, 12:53 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

btw i had tht type of coverage for my green cl i have posted pictures of it on this site before... it was worth it to me at the time but it was $6k a year to cover it. nothing ever happened thank god but thts money ill never get back.
Old 07-23-12, 01:00 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cmh
btw i had tht type of coverage for my green cl i have posted pictures of it on this site before... it was worth it to me at the time but it was $6k a year to cover it. nothing ever happened thank god but thts money ill never get back.

I only heard they did it but wow at that price you might as well rent a building and get a nasty *** dog and spend the rest on MODS

My rate with Grundy/Philadelphia indemnity is about $ 850 a yr with no mileage restrictions.
Old 07-23-12, 01:06 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

ill give u 850 a year AND ill protect the car for u

promise i wont drive it

Quick Reply: Classic Car Insurance for JZ Swaps ????