SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

92 SC400 134Kmi....$6000 dealer repair estimate!?!? Help! (Miami)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-12, 07:41 AM
Nine2SC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 SC400 134Kmi....$6000 dealer repair estimate!?!? Help! (Miami)

I have a very clean, all original 1992 SC400 with 135K miles. It had the following problems so I took it to the dealership for an estimate: Warning lights: Carousel light (just needs a sensor), Airbag light (pulled a fuse one day, light came on, put fuse back, light stayed on), TRAC light on; BRAKE light on. Door Handle Driver door doesn't open from outside ( the little yellow plastic clip is broken, $2 part). Transmission : Last week the Overdrive light started flashing on and off accompanied by poor acceleration and late shifts, this only happened once so far (research on clublexus indicates possible solenoid problem, my local mechanic thought it might be something electrical related) So my trusty local mechanic doesn't do transmission work and he suggested I just take it to the dealer (Lexus North Miami). I just got the dealer's estimate: Carousel Sensor $250, Airbag ECU $1100, TOTAL TRANSMISSION REBUILD 3,500, Door Actuator unit $700. So according to them the car is basically totaled. But I'm a little suspicious.... the plastic clip needed to fix the door is a $2 part, i told this to them and they said "we can't order that part by itself, it comes with the entire actuator unit for $700" I told them that's not true because I've purchased that part alone from Lexus before...5 minutes later they come back and say "oops I misunderstood the technician, actually the metal rod that goes into the clip is missing and that only comes with the entire actuator unit". Funny enough, I have replaced this part before and personally had the door panel off 2 days before, and I know that rod was not missing when I looked at it. I told them this and they said "we are reputable dealer and we would not take a rod out or misinform you in anyway." . Obviously there's no way I'm paying 6K to fix a 3.5K car. What do you guys think about the dealer estimate? BS? I'm thinking my best option now is to sell the car as is. This car is one of the cleanest, all-original (white paint) 92 SC400's left on the road...any idea what it's worth in this condition? Thanks!

Last edited by Nine2SC400; 07-19-12 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-19-12, 07:49 AM
moosejaw2
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep the car
you can find a tranny for that car anywhere on craigslist
enlist the help of a freind or someone automotive savvy.

Plenty of lexus mechanics on Clist too
If you want a personal recommendation, go to Edgar of Mazdapros. Look em up on google. He works on my car all the time, also does IS300s. He knows the platform well and he worked at petit racing rebuilding tranny's for their race cars/customer cars. Yes he is a rotay shop but he knows the 2JZ toyota motors well.
On Plunket Street east of 441 in Hollywood.
Old 07-19-12, 07:54 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your first mistake was going to Lex of NM. Second let me know if u want me to give you my Techs number he is a 10+ year master Lexus tech and works from home. He will give you an honest run down on what is needed to fix ur issues
Old 07-19-12, 08:02 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

With a little bit of work, that could become a 5k car.
Old 07-19-12, 08:04 AM
moosejaw2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
Your first mistake was going to Lex of NM. Second let me know if u want me to give you my Techs number he is a 10+ year master Lexus tech and works from home. He will give you an honest run down on what is needed to fix ur issues
Agree^^^^
Only go to Lexus of NM to check out the soccer moms rolling up in their RX350's
Thats the largest dealer in the USA, they have huge overhead.
I bet you they quoted you so high bc they didnt want to mess with your car
No offense but it is 20 +years old.
Old 07-19-12, 08:13 AM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 111 Likes on 52 Posts

Don't think they're trying to rip you off. if you go to a reputable repair facility "pulling" a fuse is not a repair... I dont even consider that a bandaid.. thats more of a im trying to hide an issue I have. If the light came on its on for a reason.. there is a problem in the system. Certain shop rates will be higher as well because of the building, the staff and the experince you recieve. My .02..
Old 07-19-12, 08:58 AM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

the carousel light is the coolant level sensor, there may be a write-up on how to jump the wires to get the light to go away... however, thats just a way to get the light off and doesnt really fix the issue.

for the airbag light try this http://mkiv.com/techarticles/airbag_light/airbag.htm
your diagnostic plug will be in a different location but i know it works for the sc's as ive done it to mine in the past

pull your door panel off and take a look at the actuator, the metal rod has been known to break on the actuator itself, especially if the plastic clip breaks the rod can get bound up in the window when it rolls up/down. If its the clip you can find the part number easily enough. if its the actuator itself go look in the sc300/400 classifieds section here on the board. I actually have a driver side and pass side actuators for sale.

for the transmission pull the codes and see what the computer is telling you is wrong
heres the service manual procedure for checking codes https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...om-manual.html
the transmission codes are read through the O/D light flashing
Old 07-19-12, 09:14 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

These are all little issues that SC's have, and if you replace all the parts instead of just resetting or fixing them, then yeah you will be paying more than your car is worth a few times over.

airbag light most likely needs to be reset, take me 5 minutes. once tripped it does not reset with the battery.
does not mean anything is wrong at all though with the airbag

door actuator if its more than the yellow clip its the broken rod (which does happen if you roll the window down after it the clip brakes) and i have replaced 2 of those actuators got used parts from the vendors on this forum its a great bargain. put a new plastic clip on as it goes in $2 more bucks.

trac and brake light probably needs a new solenoid as others have said, just pull the code, shouldn't cost much.

I have revived like 2 SC's from the dead after people sold them with the same problems you have described.
If you really like the car put the time in and fix, if not you may want to consider selling it, but you aren't going to get a whole lot in its current state.
Old 07-19-12, 09:29 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you know for a fact then i would pull the door panel off, bring the technician to it and show them. After they realize how stupid they are get in your car and LEAVE!. They are trying to get you bro.

Thats like when i brought my 93 in to the dealership, it had a completely stock engine but had suspension mods and rims. I had a tps problem at the time (didnt know until later) They told me i needed to give them 3k to return the car back to stock so they could diagnose my engine problem. So in basic my suspension was messing up my engine according to them LOL.

As far as your tranny start simple with the solenoids, i purchased them online for around 100 bucks give or take some and installed them in my buddies driveway in an hour or so. Car shifts great now

Order the clip offline and install it yourself.

Reset your airbag ecu and see if it comes back
Old 07-19-12, 12:11 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

im amazed these dealers havent been prosecuted or put out of business.

dont go back man all your issues are quite minor, used trannies with warantees ca be had for less then $400.

I dealt with them once and left without paying after hearing my 'diagnosis'
Old 07-19-12, 12:13 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

here are some links for resetting your airbag light. I call it the ground wire dance.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ght-reset.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...bag-light.html

Last edited by Ali SC3; 07-19-12 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-19-12, 01:19 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

you can have my auto transmission for free if you take it out of the car since im swapping in a m/t my cars in warner robins georgia. just food for thought.
Old 07-19-12, 01:32 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh god you can find a DIY for everything you have going on, and they're not even that hard to fix. The TRAC light is definitely tranny solenoids, easy fix, and you get to do a very important maintenance with it. Just do a research and DIY everything, you won't regret it.
Old 07-19-12, 01:32 PM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have just a solenoid problem dont waste your time putting in a whole "new" used trans.... just buy the solenoids for 140 or w/e. I.E if your trans isnt slipping your probably good. Put new solenoids and do a complete drain and fill + filter then go from there
Old 07-19-12, 01:41 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

one time i had a trac light come on for the sub tps sensor needed adjustment, so be sure to pull the code.
it will save you alot of time and money, but you have come to the right place, there is a diy for all of these.

The door lock actuator is one of my least favorites though, the first time around you will be convinced the old one can't be pulled out or the new one squeezed in, but with enough elbow grease it sort of snakes right in with alot of pushing and pulling. its really not hard though, just take your time. good luck.

Quick Reply: 92 SC400 134Kmi....$6000 dealer repair estimate!?!? Help! (Miami)