SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Best bang for your buck

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-01, 07:12 PM
sc400nos

Smile

Well I just wanted to let everyone know that I just ran a 13.727 @105mph in a quarter mile tonight. I am almost without a doubt that a 100 shot nitrous kit is the best bang for your buck. That is almost a two second increase from stock. My only other mods are a cone air filter and two high flow mufflers. I ran without nitrous and only ran a 15.2 which is 2.5 tenths better than what I ran totally stock. I don't think a 13.7 second quarter mile in a 115 thousand mile lexus in to shabby. I have provided a link below to my time slip in case anyone is interested and if anyone has any questions about my nitrous kit feel free to ask. I highly recomend it. It has been very worth while.

Time Slip
Old 03-17-01, 07:59 PM
SC400onDubz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Killer!!

What is up!

I am in Bowling Green also.
I got to see your SC! IS Beech bend already open??

That sounds great!!

Cya,
Scott
846-2034
wscottwilliams@home.com
Old 03-18-01, 05:57 PM
mindflux
Pole Position

Default sounds ok

Like you say NOS is a great mod. I just hope you are running non-platinum sparkplugs and an MSD or similar ignition settup. Also make sure you never hit the factory rev limiter while running nitrous.

I just edited this post...I went to your timeslip link and from there I managed to see the install let me tell you it is very well done. I have a question why do you have a boost gauge?

Also where did you get the fuel pressure gauge isolator (is it for EFI) and how much?

just a correction:
13.727 is only 1.5 faster than 15.2 according to my math not 2.5 sec. But still is ok...

100Hp shot sounds ok but its a lot for the stock fuel system in this engine just be careful. Is your pressure constant? is it about 60psi at spraying???

so many questions to ask...

I highly recomend you to see this:

http://www.nitrousinfo.com/neon.html

This is hillarious!

Mind

Last edited by mindflux; 03-18-01 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-18-01, 07:09 PM
sc400nos

Default nos

I don't have a msd or similar ignition, but I am looking at getting one. I was told that the msd 6al ignition was a good choice. Can you tell me if it really is? I have a rpm activated switch and its cuts the n2o off at 6000 rpm to prevent it from shooting during the shift and to not hit the rev limiter. I am also looking at getting a inline fuel pump. Do you recommand a specific one? My preasure stays right at 72 psi the whole way except when the n20 first kicks on and it spikes and then settles at 72 psi. About the boost gauge, I have several reasons for it but they are all pretty weak. The first one is that it was a really easy gauge to hook up and it was also cheap. It would also fill in the extra hole in my gauge pod. I should really get a more practical gauge, but it might get me to get a turbo. I would need the gauge then.

Thanks for all of your help.

Tice
Old 03-19-01, 08:23 AM
SC400onDubz
Driver

Default MInd read closely

He said tenths, not seconds. He was talking about cutting 2.5 tenths over stock when he added the mufflers and conical airfilter.

Here is another case that proved what great results N20 can have for less than 1000 bucks. He also did it safely by using a revlimiter for that sometimes slow sloppy(but ohh so smooth) shift and it only comes on at 2700 rpms. That is pretty safe. A progressive controller would help him out even more.

If he gets a TC and some slicks he should be able to run a 13 flat.

Scott

Old 03-19-01, 10:15 AM
mindflux
Pole Position

Default my mistake

Yeap reread the post.

You are right sc400ondubz...my mistake.

Hey I highly recomend the msd6a ignition even with the stock coils it should be an improvement...I'm doing a similar install but found that I need dual MSDs since the car has dual coils and distributors. I am researching on an RX-7 ignition settup since these cars run two separate ignitions systems...I want to get one box to control the two banks.

About the rev limiter problem yeap I was concerned about that but glad it is taken care for.

Rememeber to use normal sparkplugs and read them ever so often.

Have you had any input on the www.zex.com system?...seems like a cheap alternative the only problem is that it is only designed for low hp levels. up too 75hp shot. Also it is not very flexible but it does without all the wiring and lines...very slick in my opinion for a stealth install

Hey never told me if the fuel isolator was for EFI and how much you got it for? I might get a Cyberdyne gauge instead with the sender which comes out cheaper and it works great. Most folks here use it.

Another thing, so you are getting enough fuel pressure according to the stock reading and juiced readings. If you ever want to step higher somebody mentioned as a suggestion a Supra Fuel pump can't remember who did but sounds like a great idea...aftermarket fuel pumps for EFI nowdays are not very well made and heard a lot of bad stories...except for the bosch units(which are actually stockers).

Also I suggest you change the TC or do this just for the hell of it maybe it will work...try to change the tire ratio on the back of your car at the track by getting a shorter (not taller) tire (and of course softer compound if still not going slicks)instead of speeding on gears or the TC...just to see what happens...you'll be amazed.

Todd Matsubara ran a 12 something with a NOS settup...he posted it in the forum somewhere with a nice install, where you can see his two MSDs and the multiport settup he did. But he knows his stuff and he did a lot more to keep it reliable.

Keep it up...and keep posting love to see stuff like this.

Mind
Old 03-19-01, 10:21 AM
mindflux
Pole Position

Default suggestion

also get a rich/lean indicator gauge or an EGT gauge...again recomend cyberdyne...will help you tune by not going on the lean side...at least turbo folks do this...

Mind
Old 03-21-01, 11:49 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great times Mind. Was this a wet or dry shot??
Old 03-22-01, 03:30 PM
mindflux
Pole Position

Default sorry clint

Clint its Sc400Nos Tice's times...yeap great times indeed. I hope he keeps it up.

Glad your back