SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Hot stock headunit after sitting for hours?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-12, 04:49 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hot stock headunit after sitting for hours?

So I was taking apart my interior to start getting things ready for my 6spd swap and to redo the transmission tunnel and when I pulled the stock stereo out I noticed that it felt pretty warm like it was still on? The car was idling for some time earlier that day but it was off for a couple hours which definitely would of been enough time to cool. It seems odd to me that it would still feel like that after that much time.

It makes me think that this could possibly be what causing some parasitic battery drain? Anyone else had a similar experience?
Old 05-22-12, 07:02 AM
GamblerZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have an aftermarket headunit installed? Aftermarket amp? What about anti-theft?
Old 05-22-12, 09:00 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stock everything, I don't use the key alarm because it doesn't work anymore, and no aftermarket amp. The stock cd changer has been removed.
Old 05-22-12, 10:03 AM
GamblerZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thinking that you mentioned you have battery drain, you need to put an ohm meter on the car and battery to isolate how much draw you are experiencing. (see "checking for battery drain" below)

Normal current draw for most cars is usually 20-50mA (milliamps). The "Radio1" fuse is hot all the time and supplies voltage to the radio and amp only. You should consider isolating the the draw by unplugging your amp first. I would bet that is where your problem most likely is. If that is indeed the case, the remedy would be to replace your amp.

As far as checking for battery drain overall...

A down and dirty method for me is to disconnect the positive cable on your battery and hook up a small light bulb (preferably something that doesn't require 110v to light) between the positive terminal on your battery and your positive battery cable. If the bulb lights, then you have a significant draw somewhere.

After you've determined that you have a drain somewhere, you should connect the positive cable to battery and dig your digital multimeter out of the bottom of your toolbox.

- get a digital multimeter that reads milli-amps and has a min/max function
- hook up black lead to COM terminal and red lead to the Amp terminal
- disconnect the negative battery cable
- hook it up in series, red lead to disconnected cable, and black lead battery negative terminal
- set meter to mA
- press min/max function
- sit and wait 24 hours
- parasitic draw should not exceed 100mA