New to the boards and looking for SC400

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-12, 08:55 AM
SRTSC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the boards and looking for SC400

Hello,
I am new to boards and wanted to say hello to all those in the Chicagoland area. I do not have a Lexus just yet but am actively looking for a clean, well maintained pre 1997 SC400 if you know of any. This car will be used as my daily driver to and from work mostly. I have a 2010 Detonator Yellow Dodge Challenger SRT-8 6 speed that I use as my weekend/fun car. This sounds like a great board, and I look forward to learning as much as I can about these fine cars prior to purchase.
Old 06-24-12, 02:45 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

saw a few on graigslist this am searching around for cars. a few looked worth looking into around the ~5k price range.
Old 06-24-12, 02:57 PM
SRTSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by passnu2
saw a few on graigslist this am searching around for cars. a few looked worth looking into around the ~5k price range.
Let me know which ones. Thanks to Dominick, I saved myself frombig trouble. I was very close to buying that blue 1993 SC400 out of Hoffman Estates for 4K with the incorrect odometer. Checked some things he suggested to check, and all was well until I tried to accelerate in reverse over 10mph. Trans was slipping bad in reverse. I walked away. Thanks to this board, I knew what to look for. Thusfar, I have looked at two and passed on two. That one in Alsip for 3,500, the guy was evasive about records and never got back to me with the VIN. That one for $5,500 in Bolingbrook looks decent in the pics he sent, checks out in Carfax, but no maintenance records really with that one either. The front seats are really cracked up in the pics too... Plus, when your grammar is so bad, it is hard to read to your ad, that is a red flag for me.
Old 06-24-12, 03:01 PM
SRTSC
Rookie

Right now, I am looking to spend in the 5K range. This can up or down depending on the car. By summer's end, I'll be looking in the 6-7K range hopefully if I don't find something before then.
Old 06-24-12, 03:03 PM
SRTSC
Rookie

This is about the best looking SC400 on there for the price right now. 5,500 with the original rims.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/3054639935.html

Not a fan of the color though. Looks more mocha than gold? Update: sold as of today, so scrath that one.

Last edited by SRTSC; 06-24-12 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-24-12, 05:35 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I would agree with you on that color but seems there are a lot of them out there.

Yes Dominic will be a great help when you go look at any of these call him and I know he will help offer advice. I can help with a carfax if one hasn't been pulled already. 5k is a great ball park for these cars if they are in clean condition. If not I would target 3k. Some of the common issues (seats/door panels/ect) can easily be cleaned up. I would worry more about the body, engine, trans, ect.

93 SC400
I would go buy this car

both of these are worth buying for what they want. The red disclosed some small rust spots so thats an easy fix and we have a few people we can suggest for the work. They seem to be more up front about the car and I would assume the drive seat is worn and the reason for the seat cover but again for that price you cant go wrong with this car. You could show up to both and find out their posts are complete BS but no way around that.

Im searching for a new car myself and my son and some of these cars listed and the ads are just hilarious. Some have no clue what they are talking about and some make stuff up that doesn't exist in that car.

hope these help
Old 06-24-12, 08:42 PM
SRTSC
Rookie

First one, I was about to buy today until I found out the trans slips in reverse as described above. The red one looks great in pics, not so great in person. Gold ball size rust bubble almost coming through passenger fender, passenger suspension is leaking from somewhere (boot was all tore up under there and oil on it), dent under driver's side front fender (like from a lift or something) cracked paint all over rear bumper. Interior had door panel cracks, driver's seat was all ripped up, and leather was super dried out. Definitely not garage kept. It was just okay. I've looked at both already. Blue was much better cosmetically if not for that trans slipping under acceleration in reverse, it'd be in my garage.
Old 06-24-12, 08:58 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Yea I was just talking to Dom and he mentioned you had found one until that came up. Ill keep an eye out for you and I have a few friends that wholesale cars if they see one they will call me. Not a common car to see on the wholesale side now being older but a dealer may take one on trade and not want to keep it on their lot. Ill call my buddy tomorrow and ask him to keep an eye out for one. If you see one at either McGrath Lexus location my friend owns both of them so I can help put you in front of the owners to make sure your taken care of.
Old 06-25-12, 06:30 AM
SRTSC
Rookie

Thank you let me know. I am looking at a black/tan 92 SC400 today with 154K on it that checks out on the Carfax. Looks like owner one had it from 92-04, owner 2 from 04-11, owner 3 from11-12. The first owner babied it since it only had 59K on it in 04. It looks nice in the pics. Has some 19 inch wheels on it that almost look like 2000ish Jag XKR wheels. Leather seats have cracking, but everything else looked good. We'll see it in person today. It is only 15 min from me and is at least worth the look. He is asking 5,500 but accepting offers.
Old 06-25-12, 06:42 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I will, the quick ownership of the 3rd person would have me digging/looking a little closer with it being an older car. Your welcome to PM me and we can also exchange numbers if Dom is not available I used to buy cars wholesale so also know things to look out for. I should be talking to my buddy later today or tomorrow. I had him wholesale my car and they have to come flatbed it out of my house.

Minus that Beige/Gold color do you have a color in mind? How about interior?? seems most want black but with the right color I like the beige interior. Harder to keep clean yes but it will keep cooler in the summer months and seems to flow with the wood trim better IMO.
Old 06-25-12, 07:26 AM
SRTSC
Rookie

I am really open to any color combo at this point as condition is more important. I really want a SC400 over the SC300. I prefer the styling of the pre 97 before they got the grille. I prefer gray or black interior, but the tan is not bad with the right exterior color and actually can make the car look classier if in good shape. Exterior colors I really like are white, the grays that were offered, the blues that were offered (especially navy), black, silver, dark red. I am not a huge fan of green or gold. The less miles, the better. Maintenance records are a huge plus, but if it can pass an inspection, it is not a requirement. I can spend around 5K right now. Maybe 6K in a pinch. I should be able to find an extra nice older SC400 in that price bracket. It just may take time. BTW, I don't expect to buy this one I am looking at today unless it is nicer than I expect it will be. $5,500 for 154K with not really any maintenance records and cracked up seats seems a little high, unless I am wrong. I figure the more of them I look at, the better. This way I'll know when I finally find a good one.
Old 06-26-12, 08:31 AM
SRTSC
Rookie

Also, I may consider a SC300, though I have never driven one yet. Looking at the specs, they are not much slower than the SC400 and appear to be much more user friendly when it comes to mods. I am not planning on modding the car I get, but is the SC300 any better in terms of maintenance requirements/reliability vs a SC400, or are they the same?
Old 06-26-12, 10:53 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Ok I should be seeing or talking to him tomorrow.
Old 06-27-12, 07:48 AM
SRTSC
Rookie

Thanks everyone for keeping your eyes open. I am going to look at 1998 LSC Mark VIII tomm just for comparison's sake. I like the looks of the SC400s better though, but it is super close to home and was old man owned, so we'll see.
Old 06-27-12, 01:14 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Got pushed back with end of month to tomorrow so I will keep you posted. Curious to see what you thing about the 1998 LSC Mark VIII. I would stick with the SC for long term reliability and much easier to get parts aftermarket or OEM should you need to fix something.

Quick Reply: New to the boards and looking for SC400