SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Popping Sound when Opening Doors

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-12, 01:02 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Popping Sound when Opening Doors

Hey, was just wondering if this is something I need to worry about or not, or if there is an easy way to fix this.

Whenever I open my driver side door there is a popping sound as it's opening or closing and I'm not quite sure what it means. If it's something I can or should replace I'd like to know how or what it may be, especially if it's indicative of a problem that I may face down the road.
Old 05-10-12, 01:20 PM
BlaineyB
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it hard to open? cause i had the same problem, mine was popping and hard to open and close. if you have the same situation that i had then just spray WD-40 on the hinges and move the door back and fourth.
Old 05-10-12, 02:30 PM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlaineyB
is it hard to open? cause i had the same problem, mine was popping and hard to open and close. if you have the same situation that i had then just spray WD-40 on the hinges and move the door back and fourth.
wd-40 is actually more of a de greaser, if trying to lubricate things there are much better ways to approach it. Liquid wrench makes a great variety of lubricants all sold at local parts stores. like white lithium grease, though im not sure which one would be reccomended for hinges.

Also OP whats making the popping is if you look at the door youll see somewhat of a "collar" bolted from the car to the door, this collar is not actually a load bearing part and is whats causing the popping noise. if you just removed the bolt from the car side of the collar it will move freely and voila! no more popping noise.

there are some posts floating around about it, i always thought i was missing a bolt or something when i first got my car but then did some reading to find out its to stop the popping feel.
Old 05-10-12, 02:36 PM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there was one time my door was popping and it was because it was clipping the fender before it opened. This was the cause of a failing door hinge, open the door slowly from the outside and make sure it's not hitting the fender.. =)

If it's not that, try to lubricate it and I guess listen to what the guy up top said?
Old 05-10-12, 03:49 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FuMoFFuTT
I know there was one time my door was popping and it was because it was clipping the fender before it opened. This was the cause of a failing door hinge, open the door slowly from the outside and make sure it's not hitting the fender.. =)

If it's not that, try to lubricate it and I guess listen to what the guy up top said?
It's not that, I checked to see if the door was hitting the fender, door isn't hard to open either, I'm going to try what that other guy said about the collar bolt an see if that fixes it.
Old 05-11-12, 09:07 AM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

This has been covered a few times. Check these for starters:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...7-seconds.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-pictures.html

The second option isn't cheap.
Old 05-11-12, 10:59 AM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FuMoFFuTT

Yeah me too, my fender was pushed back after an accident and that's why it happened. After I got my fenders rolled it stopped making contact though haha
Old 05-11-12, 04:53 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Photon440
This has been covered a few times. Check these for starters:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...7-seconds.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-pictures.html

The second option isn't cheap.
Cool, thanks for the thread links, the pictures sure will make this a lot easier.