SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New to forum- Questions on what to look for in a SC when buying

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-12, 09:01 AM
SpadedOne
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum- Questions on what to look for in a SC when buying

Hi everyone! This is my first post on the forum! I've been lurking around for a week or so now read up on the SC400's. Just found a 95 that I really like. It's 2 1/2 hrs away from me though. So, before I go check it out, can you guys give me some advice on what to look for? Specifics please. I usually do all the work on my cars myself, so I know quite a bit about the basic mechanics. Just want some ideas of things I can point out that may need replacement soon, so I can talk him down in price. It's a 95 with 188,000 miles. Seller is a small dealer that only gets Toyota's. He's asking $3500. He got it at auction and doesn't know much about it's history. All he has maintenance records for is timing belt and plugs at 172,000. He also just replaced the ball joints, so I know it will need an alignment. He also said that the radio turns on, but just makes a buzzing sound with no music (I'm assuming just a bad ground or bad amp???). It's pretty clean inside and out. I'm thinking about $300 (for a nice aftermarket one) off for the radio and another $100ish for an alignment. I'm going to offer him $3000 if it runs, drives, and rides nice. If anyone has any advice for me on what else to look for, please let me know and is this priced right? Thanks guys! Looking forward to getting to know some of you as I will be on here quite a bit with my DIY questions and so forth once I get my SC400.

Last edited by SpadedOne; 03-29-12 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-29-12, 10:41 AM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do your Research...look for other common problems that will cost more then the current price tag of the Sc. The buzzing noise from speakers could also mean blown speakers. The links below should give you some ideas what to look for.
http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...a-used-sc.html
Old 03-29-12, 11:49 AM
goaliebill
Rookie

Look for corrosion damage in the rear subframe, an expensive repair, although Iowa probably doesn't have vehicle corrosion issues like in the Rust Belt.
Check the right rear wheelwell in the trunk, under the amplifier, for water. The drainage tubes get plugged and / or vibrate loose. If the amp has incurred water damage, replacement is the only solution, and original Nakamichi amps are hard to find.
Old 03-29-12, 12:29 PM
SpadedOne
Rookie

Originally Posted by Teal Sc400
Do your Research...look for other common problems that will cost more then the current price tag of the Sc. The buzzing noise from speakers could also mean blown speakers. The links below should give you some ideas what to look for.
http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...a-used-sc.html
That first link was exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a lot Teal!!!!!! Thanks for the other info goalie!
Old 03-29-12, 12:32 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Being from Nebraska, make sure you look for rust..if Iowa salts their roads like Nebraska does, you'll be in for a treat. Check the lower control arms, they aren't cheap, and the rust will literally fuse the adjustment bolt to the inner sleeve of the bushing like mine did..check the valve covers and look for visible oil..just keep your eye open these cars are getting up there in age.
Old 03-29-12, 02:55 PM
aristo123
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check that the antenna works, trunk stays open, drive it at slow speeds and check that it doesn't shift weird and that it doesnt bog.
Old 03-29-12, 03:20 PM
SpadedOne
Rookie

Great info guys! The car is actually in Minnesota, and not sure how much they salt the roads up there. Iowa, they don't salt much, usually just sand. I have a 92 Subaru SVX now, so I know that the car will have it's aged spots showing. Just called the seller/dealer, and he still has the car, fingers crossed that he still has her Saturday when I can make the trip up there. Was going to buy one an hour away and the guy sold it the day before I could go get it, and another one I looked at 5 hrs away was for sale for 2 days and he was on his way to drop it off to the new buyer when I called him on a Thursday. I made arrangements to drive to get it that weekend. So 2 got bought out from under me pretty much. They both had less miles too, but one was a 92 and the other a 94.