SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Okay... I guess it's my turn...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-12, 05:41 PM
Specaiist
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay... I guess it's my turn...

Well the time has finally come... I'm going to jump into the endless money pit. (a.k.a "a complete motor build")...

I'm not going to bore you guys/gals with a long list of "dreams"... However, I would like as much fact based, info as possible. I will be building this motor in stages. I will like to have a solid 700hp daily driver. So I won't, or maybe I should say, I don't really want to cut any corners.. Don't get me wrong, I am aware that things can get pricey super fast. But, I also don't want to do some thing more than once.. So I plan on doing it right the first time around... (with the help of this wonderful community of course).... So with that said, lets get down to business..

[B]Stage 1:[/B] Build a super efficient, powerful and reliable head.
To do this we're starting out with a BRAND NEW 2jzge cylinder head. The head is bare.
Here's what I need:

Cam's
Valves
cam gears

Please give me your thoughts on the parts listed above. Please be as informative as possible.. I would like to have as much info prior to making a decision/purchase.

I've checked on the BC cam's, but I'm confused with the different models.

Here are a few pics of the head that we will be building:

Old 02-13-12, 05:44 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Holy crap nice SC.
Old 02-13-12, 05:46 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice wheels and gl on your build
Old 02-13-12, 06:16 PM
Mr.1.5
Lead Lap

Nice car and you will love BC.
Old 02-13-12, 06:27 PM
broda805
Lead Lap

there is a thread on supra forums on cams and which ones do what in terms of where the power lies, spool, etc you should check it out i think its a sticky on the mk4 section.
Old 02-13-12, 06:52 PM
Specaiist
Driver

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Holy crap nice SC.
Thanks..
Originally Posted by 2BENVD
Nice wheels and gl on your build
I'm definitely going to need "luck" ... Thanks
Originally Posted by Mr.1.5
Nice car and you will love BC.
I'm considering BC or HKS... Just waiting for some more opinions..

Originally Posted by broda805
there is a thread on supra forums on cams and which ones do what in terms of where the power lies, spool, etc you should check it out i think its a sticky on the mk4 section.
Thanks for the info... I checked it out and it is very informative.. My only problem is that I don't even know where to start as far as "stages" are concerned..
Old 02-13-12, 07:01 PM
2jpowa
Driver

Looking good out of curiousity how much did you pay for that head?
Old 02-13-12, 09:48 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would you downgrade to a Non VVT-i head?
Old 02-13-12, 09:49 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

lookin good man!
Old 02-13-12, 10:36 PM
ZGagnon
Lead Lap

subscribed to this bad boy
Old 02-14-12, 01:03 AM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damm that's a pretty car. I don't think i've ever seen an SC that color. But i'd like to know more about why you chose to ditch the VVT-i.
Old 02-14-12, 02:32 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

bc cams 272 fererra oversize valves and some aem or titan cam gears. WAIT why did you get a GE head? why didnt you just go gte? um i would have bought a GTE and done a full rebuild cams valves all that good stuff. thats just me tho.. no clue why you are keeping the GE..
Old 02-14-12, 05:10 AM
Specaiist
Driver

Originally Posted by levie
lookin good man!
Thanks...
Originally Posted by pieisgude
Damm that's a pretty car. I don't think i've ever seen an SC that color. But i'd like to know more about why you chose to ditch the VVT-i.
Thanks..
Originally Posted by Cleanshots
bc cams 272 fererra oversize valves and some aem or titan cam gears. WAIT why did you get a GE head? why didnt you just go gte? um i would have bought a GTE and done a full rebuild cams valves all that good stuff. thats just me tho.. no clue why you are keeping the GE..
That seems like it would be a decent setup... What are the pro's and cons of the 272 cams?

As for the GE head. I got this head for a deal that I couldn't pass up. But prior to purchasing it, I did some homework and realized that all the heads (ge gte vvti) are "fundamentally" the same. Some people even say that the GE head flows better than the GTE. (I will be sending this head out to be port and polished anyway)... As for the VVTI, I believe that this GE head can be converted to VVT-I... Can someone confirm that?
Old 02-14-12, 05:42 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GE non VVT-i heads go for < $100, a hot tank, deck and port used head would be cheaper than whatever you paid. Regardless that head won't work with your current computer - requiring an standalone - so you'll have to complete the build 100% before you can drive the car. Given the 700hp figure a rebuild of your VVT-i GE block is needed because of the weaker rods - you might as well just bought a complete GE engine. To be completely honest I just don't know what you are thinking... Cleanshots is correct, buying a GTE engine is the most logical choice.

Stage 1 2JZ-GTE swap 300-400hp
Stage 2 manual conversion
Stage 3 single turbo conversion
Stage 4 cams, fuel and standalone

nice. easy and simple.

Last edited by account2x; 02-14-12 at 05:48 AM.
Old 02-14-12, 05:56 AM
Specaiist
Driver

Originally Posted by account2x
GE non VVT-i heads go for < $100, a hot tank, deck and port used head would be cheaper than whatever you paid. Regardless that head won't work with your current computer - requiring an standalone - so you'll have to complete the build 100% before you can drive the car. Given the 700hp figure a rebuild of your VVT-i GE block is needed because of the weaker rods - you might as well just bought a complete GE engine. To be completely honest I just don't know what you are thinking... Cleanshots is correct, buying a GTE engine is the most logical choice.

Stage 1 2JZ-GTE swap 300-400hp
Stage 2 manual conversion
Stage 3 single turbo conversion
Stage 4 cams, fuel and standalone

nice. easy and simple.
Maybe I wasn't clear in my op... My goal is to build a motor from the ground up. I will have to purchase a block and build that as well. As for the ecu, I will have to get a stand alone anyways.. My car will be stock until the build is complete, then I will just do a swap... Although the way you listed those stages seems soooooo much easier... Can you confirm that I can convert my GE head to VVTi

Quick Reply: Okay... I guess it's my turn...