SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

i put RX8 seats in SC300

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-14, 09:14 PM
ninjaCEO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is cool to see since I have both cars, cool mod!
Old 02-19-15, 09:39 PM
addisonblc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gonna bump this in an attempt to pull some info from boosting and red ....
I've got a set of these in the garage but I don't want to blindly cut into it. I'm wondering if anyone with knowledge on this swap can pm me. If not, I'll be hacking at it alone and will post up my own findings.
Old 02-24-15, 04:44 PM
RedMansSC3
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldnt find any pics through my phone. Ill pull em out tomorrow since I have a free day and take some pics of my combination. Forewarning, my welding skills are not the best, so i used grade 8 bolts and welding to combine these rails just for added safety.
Old 02-24-15, 04:53 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I think they look really nice.
Old 03-01-15, 01:52 AM
BlackIRON
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have you been able to power the passenger seat, or is there just no way? Im highly considering this they look very nice.
Old 03-01-15, 08:40 PM
addisonblc
Pole Position

It's possible. You'd have to get a powered passenger seat from a rx8. Red walked through the splicing so I'm sure it wouldn't be too different if any, from that.
Old 03-04-15, 07:08 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting ...
It doesn't looks as bad as Sparco-style seats; which as I've said before, just don't match the shape of the car.
That's why I think Supra seats are optimal. However, Supra seats don't include the shoulder support.
In this case, they aren't overboard though; as in they don't seem to contrast with the lines of the car overall.
If they come in tan, I might even consider them, in order to have the best of both worlds.

Could you post two more pics please?
1. From the windshield looking in, and ...
2. From the driver door point-of-view

I.e.

Old 03-05-15, 04:41 AM
bibz1uz
Driver School Candidate

got inspired by this and just went out and bought a set picked them up last night! going to install this weekend hopefully. did u have any pictures of how u put the two halfs of the drivers seat together?
Old 04-10-15, 12:19 PM
addisonblc
Pole Position

Bumming for info haha still toying with this in my limited spare time.
Old 09-27-15, 08:25 PM
addisonblc
Pole Position

Bump! Hey guys! So finally got off my butt and swapped the seats. I did it a ghetto way but it works and they bolted in just fine. I cut the rails off the sc seats and shaved all brackets off of the rx8 seats. Then welded them together. It worked flawlessly.
Old 09-29-15, 05:27 PM
covert
Driver School Candidate

great work! now do something about those eye poisonous satellite radio wires!

I used the pioneer radio mod for aux capability with a ground loop isolator from radio shack and a kinivo bluetooth adapter that I mounted to the underside of the ash tray door. pop it up to skip a track!
Old 09-29-15, 08:47 PM
addisonblc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by covert
great work! now do something about those eye poisonous satellite radio wires!

I used the pioneer radio mod for aux capability with a ground loop isolator from radio shack and a kinivo bluetooth adapter that I mounted to the underside of the ash tray door. pop it up to skip a track!
Are you talking about my phone charger? There's no fancy radio wires in there. Just junk on the front seat.
Old 05-25-16, 05:11 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I hadn't sat in a RX8 since they first hit showroom floors and don't recall much of the seating experience all these years later. But, I was wandering the junkyard today and saw one with the driver's seat in good shape. The passenger seat was gone.

There wasn't any visible mold, broken glass, blood stains... So, I gave it a try and was very pleased with the comfort. The SC seats are tough to beat in that respect, but they're built for wide bodies. A medium-slender build will slosh around in them quite a bit. The RX8 has nice firm bolsters and is very supportive, and just the right width for me. I remembered this thread and came home to see what is involved in the swap. Alas, it's the passenger seat that's the easy one. I might have to go back and see how much they want for it, just in case I decide to give it a try down the road.

This is one of the newer ones with the side airbag. Has anyone tried removing those? I assume it's a bolt-in affair once you open up the seatback.
Old 05-26-16, 05:26 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by boosting
The passanger side seat saves weight, but the driver side seems just about the same. So you dont really do this mod to save weight...
With the caveat that maybe not all RX8 seats are created equal (edit: mine has the zippered leather back, which I'm thinking must be '09-12; there is another kind with a plastic back that appears to be '04-08), I've gotta disagree with you here. I went back for the driver's seat and had the challenge of how to get it out of the car, being pinned in too close to another car to open the door more than halfway. I eventually was able to lift it up and over the front door and suicide door, angling it up onto the roof and out. I wouldn't have been able to do that with the SC's ~60 lb passenger seat, let alone the driver's seat which weighs ~20 lb more.

Carrying it up to the office, I was figuring 50 lb for the RX8 driver's seat. I got it home and weighed it as best I could (big object on small scales are tipsy, creating big swings), and it came in at 44 lb 15 oz. That means it's somewhere in the neighborhood of half to two-thirds the weight of the SC seat, with the upper end being very pessimistic. And that's with the airbag, which can save a bit more weight if removed. (edit: The airbag is 2 lb 3 oz, plus another 3 oz for wiring, bringing it down to mid-42 lbs.)

Here's what it looks like in the car bringing it home. The color match is way better than I expected, and the 2-tone of the seat (the black lower garnish is just barely visible in the pic) is a bonus match for the 2-tone of the car!

Rails/mounts (I've never welded) and wiring don't sound like fun to figure out, but it's way too tantalizing to not pursue.

Here are a few threads I found that may help others:

http://www.rx7club.com/2nd-generatio...-seats-992255/ - seat wiring
http://www.rx8club.com/series-i-tech...in-out-225689/ - FSM scans
http://www.rx7club.com/1st-generatio...-802427/page2/ - airbag removal
http://www.rx7club.com/1st-generatio...nto-fb-428256/ - seat disassembly & rail modification

Last edited by t2d2; 05-27-16 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-26-16, 10:06 PM
GTX580
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks for sharing that pic, the tan matches very well. I am going to look out for a set of tan seats now.

Quick Reply: i put RX8 seats in SC300