SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How did you become aware of the SC?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-11, 06:33 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm in...my first encounter with the SC. It was 93-I was a freshman in high school...I remember my basketball coach's wife had one. I didn't have a ride to practice, so she came and picked me up-I was blown away at the smoothness of the ride. She asked me if I wanted to drive it, and I was like hell yeah! So we switched seats...I felt like I was the "man"...every since then I've wanted a SC.
Old 11-24-11, 06:37 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I saw one driving by one time and I thought it looked sexy. It was maybe a year and a half before I knew that it was a Lexus and that I wanted it.
Old 11-24-11, 07:15 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

The first time I ever saw an SC was back when I was in high school in 06. My friend got an extremely clean 92 Garnet Pearl SC300 with chrome 18"s for his first car at the time. I was blown away by it, especially because the car looked brand new for a 92. I had never been more blown away by car until I saw his SC. All the other rich kids with their C5 Corvettes, Mercedes, Camaros, and high end trucks just couldn't touch the SC in my eyes.

Right after that, another one of my friends wrecked his 4Runner and had to drive his dad's black SC400 that he owned since new. My track coach also had a black SC400 around that time too. A few months later, I was getting ready to buy a RHD 94 RX-7, when I found Club Lexus and started seeing super clean SC's everywhere. I dumped the RX-7 and bought a 93 SC300 back in 2009.
Old 11-24-11, 07:34 AM
Dv8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Takahiro Ueno. I always knew of the car, but after seeing an old option video ten or so years ago I was hooked on the idea of a Soarer. I don't know if anyone knows of or remembers his old red z30, but at the time it was my idea of perfection. The diversity of the platform is what really attracted me when I started researching the car, though I never wanted an SC. It had to be a Soarer. It had to have a 1J. Several years back I ended up trading an r32 Skyline for one. I ended up autocrossing that car for two seasons and was actually competitive, along with multiple track days and drift events. Though that car is long gone, I never lost interest in the cars. Acquired another Soarer at the end of summer, which sits waiting for parts.
Old 11-24-11, 09:15 AM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i remember being 14 years old, it was that time of year when all the snow went away, and all the summer cruisers where starting to come out again. my friend was in grade 12 at the time, he calls me up and says hes gonna come get me, i have to see his new car, so i say okay and i go out side and wait. he shows up in this white car, i have no idea what it is, so i go to get in and i notice he is on the wrong side, so i go to what would be the driver side, we go for a cruise and i thought it was the coolest car in the world to drive around it. he decided to floor it, and i never felt anything like it before in my life. i was shocked. i knew nothing about cars, but i wanted a soarer. i was 14 at the time so i had no hope of affording one any ways. so we go back to my house, and he asked me if i wanted to see under the hood, he pops it and i have no idea what im looking at. he starts telling me all this stuff and we both know that im lost. that night i started researching these cars, pesterd him with questions about them. it turns out that he has a t78 turbo kit in it, so you can imagine how shocking it was to a 14 year old boy. he ended up selling it, and then my other friend who was in grade 11 at the time and i was 15 bought one. i eventually fell in love with that one also, and i convinced my dad to borrow me the money to buy one then i pay it back. he agreed, i got a soarer, and iv been more in love with it then anything else in my life sence.
Old 11-24-11, 09:27 AM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't know if anyone knows of or remembers his old red z30, but at the time it was my idea of perfection
You mean this one??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10_DE...yer_detailpage

When I was 14 and started saving up for a first car is when I really became aware of the z30 platform. I had seen a Garnet Pearl one while on vacation and it stuck in my head. I had done some some basic research on SC's, and somewhere in my browsing I stumbled upon Soarer central. I instantly became obsessed with the Soarer (3 different motors, 4 different suspension options, cool JDM-only features etc.) and had a thirst to find out everything I possibly could about it. I settled for the SC400 because it was in immaculate shape and all the local Soarers were beat.

It had to be a Soarer. It had to have a 1J.
This was my issue - the SC400 never scratched my itch and I still found myself browsing for Soarers now and then. I still wanted a 5-speed and a 1J. An unfortunate parking lot mishap with the SC left her not quite the same, but it led to to finally buying the Soarer GT-T I had always wanted.

Last edited by SC_coupe; 11-24-11 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-24-11, 10:57 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

Funny story for me!

When I was about 5 or so I had a maroon SC hot wheel with no wing(still have it). It was by far my favorite hot wheel I ***** you not. Around 17 years old my brother who was 21 got a 92 SC 400. Something about it struck a chord. I started the long search for cars and ended up finding mine.
Old 11-24-11, 11:39 AM
JDMJoe239
Pole Position

its funny i had seen SC's gone wild and thought it was cool but it never really stuck with me. earlier this year when i was looking at cars, mostly 240's, rx7, and hoping to find an 86 i had watched JDM insider 2 again and actually noticed Ueno's car. i fell in love with it but i was still looking for a 240 or one of the other cars but i added the SC into the mix. there was one SC300 for sale at a decent price (3k) but it was an auto so it was my last resort car. well all the other cars i looked at were already sold so i went with my dad to test drive the SC. drove it around the block then drove it home that same day. it was the only car i test drove... it was the only car i needed to test drive. honestly a big factor in it is i love the 2JZ its my favorite motor in existence. the car had (and still has) an exhaust leak so i could really hear the motor. i was sold, got the car for $2700. i do wish i would have noticed some of the problems but i was too excited to buy it. i could've talked him down more if i had just paid better attention. btw this thread is awesome, its bringing back the feeling of when i first got the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebxz9H7rb1c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kluLrW1QN2c

Last edited by JDMJoe239; 11-24-11 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-24-11, 12:06 PM
Arkansas
Pole Position

I first saw the SC earlier this year. Thought it looked cool and looked it up on the net and I liked the details. Wanted to get a project vehicle since I live alone and this 92 black 400 with a salvage title was under $2000 so I got a loan for it. I love mine and am ready to get my new battery for it so I can drive it. Then maybe in a month or so get me a new factory amp so I can have some tunes
Old 11-24-11, 12:20 PM
Scweet14
Rookie

my grandfather has a sc400 and when i first got my permit that was the one car i wanted, and then after months and months of arguing with mom to get it, because its a "luxury" car, i moved in with dad and 2 weeks later, i bought my '93 lexus from roy, and i have been in a world of happiness ever since))

SC's for life!!!!!
Old 11-24-11, 01:45 PM
Dv8
Pole Position

@ SC_coupe

Yes thats the car. Fantastic. I followed him for a long time, almost bought a Sui' Vax car at one point as well. I dont think I'd have been able to buy a v8 auto car and lived with myself haha. After however many hundred 1js I've heard, listening to one still puts a smile on my face. Not many other motors do it for me, including the 2j.

My first soarer was a GTT, current one is a base. The thing I miss the most is the sunroof. Some of the small features were neat too. But I think my current one may be rarer due to the fact it's a base factory 5 speed.
Old 11-24-11, 02:28 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my 240sx blew up and i had to find another rwd car but wanted an automatic DD so i didn't have problems. i swapped a new motor in to the 240, sold it than had to find another car.

well i was just randomly looking through brands on autotrader and happened to search lexus thinking "no way i can afford a lexus!" than ta da!!!! my savior! SC's have been my favorite car ever since. i still wish i wouldve bought one off craigslist or here though i seriously got ripped off where i bought my car and hate myself for it. i paid $4500 for a 94 sc400 with 195k on it in not so good condition bc i thought its a lexus and its $4500 i must be getting a deal!... really wish i wouldve researched these cars first. lesson learned =) thanks SC! hahahaha........... in the end spent another $1500+ fixing it and now this engine went so another $1000 to have someone replace it UGH! so far though i loved buying wheels coilvers and exhaust for it, just wish i bought a nicer one because all this money could have went to a 5 speed swap

Last edited by iridebmx; 11-24-11 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-24-11, 02:56 PM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I first started to notice the SC back in '97 which was my freshmen year of high school. My friend's mom had just picked up a '97 DWP SC400 second semester. I was leaving school and laid eyes on it and fell in love. After I wrecked my TT Z32 that summer I picked up my first of 4 SC300 Spd's. Since then I have owned a '96, '95, '94, and I'm now on my '93. All manuals. My next one will be a '97 5spd.
Old 11-24-11, 03:04 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

I hadn't even heard of the SC's until I saw one at the used car lot that I was looking at for this 1972 Trans Am which was a huge POS..Test drove the T/A with my mom and the SC was sitting in the lot..we looked at it, test drove it, and I was sold..the guy told me it was FWD but had the Supra engine (I was a HUGE Supra fanatic)..I was sold, called my Dad, he transferred the money all while another family was coming in to purchase the car..so we drove out while they drove in
Old 11-24-11, 03:13 PM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

Always knew of them since i'm a little older than most of you here.But i took notice when you had to pay 50 grand for one.

Quick Reply: How did you become aware of the SC?