Airbag light on

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-11, 08:13 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airbag light on

Hey,

So I keep failing inspection and get a rejection sticker because the airbag light is on. Sigh. I looked around the forum and found a few helpful threads about how I can find the DLC2 port and connect this and do that... etc

Long story short, I cant find the DLC2 port... I found something round with what looks like you can plug stuff into it but no labels on it, where is the TC and AB? I tried turning it like some said to make it loose or come out or something and it does turn but then thats it dont come out or come loose or nothing... Just turns right and left.

Somebody said theirs is under the hood, didnt say much but that and I couldnt see nothing there.

I am quite puzzled can somebody show me where the TC and AB are? and if thats actually the DLC2 port?

Thanks in advance

- Kal
Old 10-10-11, 09:54 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I have a 95 SC400. This is a picture of what I was referring to earlier
Attached Thumbnails Airbag light on-10112011111.jpg  
Old 10-11-11, 06:22 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No clue, my airbag light is on as well but I know why. I just need to get the harness highlighted in red and I'll be good. Problem is that no one has had one for months. I can't find a part number either. If you need a tan "pillow case" airbag for a four spoke wheel, I can give you mine for cheap. My inspection is coming up in March of 2012 so I'll need to figure something out as well.

Old 10-11-11, 10:30 AM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Honestly I am not quite sure why the light is on... I tried to diagnose it using some tutorials here (to at least find out what to do next) I just cant figure out where that DLC2 port is. One mechanic told me its been in a wreck and bla bla bla and m like it just came on outta nowhere while driving.

I will try to find that part for u, i know a spot in richmond also im going to the yard pretty soon so ill find that out for u. as for inspection I keep Getting a new rejection sticker every time I do it, it gives me 15 days. Not too worried about it I just dont like spending 16 bucks every 15 days. One mechanic in south side richmond told me unplug the light, do inspection then plug it back in lol, i might just do that until I figure it out.

If I diagnose it and turns out i need a pillow case I will defo hit u up.... Best of luck

Have a good one

- Kal
Old 10-11-11, 02:00 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Unplug the light? You mean opening up the cluster and removing the airbag indicator light? I believe they have a safety guard so you can't remove this bulb on most cars.

I still can't find this damn wire anywhere I think it's called a clockspring cable. Can anyone else confirm?

Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COROL...item336cda526c

Last edited by Tabaka; 10-11-11 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-11-11, 04:42 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

pm carson-lex, the guy's a vendor here.
he should hook ya up.
Old 10-11-11, 05:18 PM
nlc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isnt there a way to jus reset it? I took my cluster out n upon reinstallation i found that my air bag light wont go back off...ive tried unplugging the senor under the stock radio, checking fuses, pulled both airbags, disconnected the battery...n this ***** still wont shut off...is there something im missing or do i have the same problem as the op. That harness tabaka is talking about is intact on mine... I dont mean to threadjack jus found it strange n i jus happen to log on tonight n see this thread.
Old 10-11-11, 07:38 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nlc
Isnt there a way to jus reset it? I took my cluster out n upon reinstallation i found that my air bag light wont go back off...ive tried unplugging the senor under the stock radio, checking fuses, pulled both airbags, disconnected the battery...n this ***** still wont shut off...is there something im missing or do i have the same problem as the op. That harness tabaka is talking about is intact on mine... I dont mean to threadjack jus found it strange n i jus happen to log on tonight n see this thread.
this is how to reset it
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ght-reset.html

i just cant locate the doggone tc and ab

can somebody help please? post a pic or something?
Old 10-11-11, 07:58 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/TechTi...ror_codes.aspx
scroll down just a smidge on the page, there's a pinout for the under-hood (NOT under dash) diagnostic connector.
The diagnostic ports are exactly the same, the only difference is the pinout. using the under-hood diag port, you'll get your answer.
Old 10-11-11, 09:20 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BenStoked
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/TechTi...ror_codes.aspx
scroll down just a smidge on the page, there's a pinout for the under-hood (NOT under dash) diagnostic connector.
The diagnostic ports are exactly the same, the only difference is the pinout. using the under-hood diag port, you'll get your answer.
TY sir, I located the ones under the hood diagnosed it with code 22. IDK what the previous owner was doin to the car the cover under the dash with labels is not even there and the one under the hood is worn out cant read it.

Now Ill let the engine cool down so I try to reset it proper without burning my hands. I tried the engine metal surrounding but when I run back to see the dash the light is just on.

- Kal
Old 10-12-11, 06:34 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

I checked with Carson today, they do not sell the wire that connects from the airbag to the sub harness. I am officially screwed.
Old 10-12-11, 09:32 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TC and AB are the ports inside that circle looking connector. looks like you dont have the cover anymore cuz it has a read out on the reverse side that shows which they are. what year and which model sc do you have. i have a sc400 so idk if mine will be the same for you

i tried back in the day to reset my airbag light, i tried and tried using the technique you mentioned. it never went off. so i just pulled the cluster out.. which takes 2 minutes. you pull the lower shroud with the clock and OD reset button towards you, make sure your steering wheel is all the way down. then youll see two screws on the bottom and 2 screwed where you have to pop small circular covers off. then slowly pull it out, unplug the harnesses and then youll see all the status lights at the bottom.

however if they plug in to check error codes, you will still fail.
Old 10-12-11, 09:50 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

did the airbag light come on out of no where? is your car lowered cause mine ate through the airbag sensor wire and the light came on.. so yea..
Old 02-08-15, 03:07 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Rather than start a new thread... My airbag light was on when I bought the car, with a harmless code 22. I tried several times to reset it but never managed to get the Tc-AB sequence to work. I later swapped in a 3-spoke RX steering wheel with the different style airbag connector. Since I didn't have the adapter, I put aside the airbag light reset for the time being.

I finally got an adapter added last week and wanted to get rid of that annoying light once and for all. I pulled the codes again and was surprised to see three of them this time: 14, 22, 54. #14 is "Open in squib circuit" and #54 doesn't correspond to anything, as far as I can tell. Any idea what #14 means (bad connection with my adapter or bad 3-spoke airbag?), and what #54 might indicate?

Edit, I may have a bigger problem...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-no-avail.html

Broken clock spring?? Maybe I should just reset the codes (or die trying!) and see if the system is simply confused by now having a different airbag hooked up.

Edit 2: Clearing the codes didn't seem to have any effect. Each time it seemed like the sequence of Tc-AB grounds had been completed, the light went out for a few seconds then flashed the same three error codes (without me jumpering the pins to pull the codes). Also, it appears my confusion on code #54 not existing was based on the LS400 code listing, which differs in this case. However, if the info is correct and #14 = D squib (driver's airbag) and #54 = P squib (passenger airbag), then I'm more hopeful that it's something screwy after hooking up the RX airbag, rather than something recently broken, since the passenger side wouldn't also be affected by the steering wheel swap.

Originally Posted by Tabaka
No clue, my airbag light is on as well but I know why. I just need to get the harness highlighted in red and I'll be good.

Last edited by t2d2; 02-08-15 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-08-15, 08:39 PM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My airbag light was on, but I knew why. It was my fault - I turned on the key with the instrument panel out and that will do it.

Before I could try the on-off two wire trick, my son took the car to the shop he works (tire shop that does mechanical work as well) and reset it.

I figure if a garage like that can do it, most places probably have the capability.

Quick Reply: Airbag light on