SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300/400 owners ... are you still buying premium gas for your car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-12, 09:14 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xwingzero2
300zx dodge stealth and 2 supras? crazy picture!!!
13.1 @ 107, 12.5 @ 109, 13.1 @ 114, and 12.1 @ 121, respectively.

Old 03-08-12, 12:56 AM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Only used premium
Old 03-08-12, 02:03 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Am I STILL buying premium gas for my SC300? Yes. It's designed for premium. That's what the manual calls for so there really isn't a choice unless premium isn't available. Twenty years ago fuel wasn't this expensive but that isn't' the car's fault.

I had a classic Ford and the fuel economy was far worse. It also liked premium.
Old 03-08-12, 03:50 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maine is finally like California!

In which we both get ****-water 91 octane.

No E85 here either, you would think they would with all the potato farming going on!

93 is that much better than 91, especially with forced induction.

Consider yourself lucky if you can even get 93 octane where you live.
Old 03-08-12, 08:40 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I personally use premium or super premium, by my house they have super premium, on all my cars. My GS430 obviously requires premium gas but my Honda Civics don't and I use it anyway. I've been using that my whole life. My pops always told me that this country is all a big business. Old cars technology were made to last longer so now the market wont make them anymore. On the contrary, now its all about mass production and no quality. The quality is reserved for the big $ people which are the lowest majority of buyers in the market. Let's face it, there are more broke people then there are rich people by FAR. SO I say all that to say this, for an extra 20¢ over or less, just put the good stuff in your gas tank. Forget your "manual" and all that nonsense. Yes, the manafacturer says one thing but let's be honest, since when has the good stuff ever been bad? Never. Use premium people. You get what you put in. My father always told me those who buy cheap end up paying expensive down the road. That "regular" gas and the middle one even the premium are all watered down. So if your gonna fill your car up with ****** at least use good ******
Old 03-08-12, 10:12 AM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup, still buying 91. tried 89 once, didnt see/feel a difference.
Old 03-08-12, 01:42 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it would take a few tanks of regular if any to feel/notice a difference.
Old 03-08-12, 01:57 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
I personally use premium or super premium, by my house they have super premium, on all my cars. My GS430 obviously requires premium gas but my Honda Civics don't and I use it anyway. I've been using that my whole life. My pops always told me that this country is all a big business. Old cars technology were made to last longer so now the market wont make them anymore. On the contrary, now its all about mass production and no quality. The quality is reserved for the big $ people which are the lowest majority of buyers in the market. Let's face it, there are more broke people then there are rich people by FAR. SO I say all that to say this, for an extra 20¢ over or less, just put the good stuff in your gas tank. Forget your "manual" and all that nonsense. Yes, the manafacturer says one thing but let's be honest, since when has the good stuff ever been bad? Never. Use premium people. You get what you put in. My father always told me those who buy cheap end up paying expensive down the road. That "regular" gas and the middle one even the premium are all watered down. So if your gonna fill your car up with ****** at least use good ******
watered down? lol...
Old 03-08-12, 04:25 PM
daily400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no gas station is perfect and all gases no matter what grade is used there will be water in there. water also builds up in your tank. but as far as people putting water in for them to get more "gas" for the buck i highly doubt that. i just recently bought my first lexus and i love it. i will use premium. i have donet various amount of work with performance builds from anything from well you name it ive atleast atempted it. and engines require/need a certian level of OC due to the rate it burns. althought you put mid or low grade in you may not notice the difference but there is one cuz if there wasnt then what would of been the purpose of making any other kinds...
Old 03-08-12, 05:36 PM
Toyboxx
Lead Lap

I still only use Premium, and will remain to do so. I purchased a 20 year old Lexus knowing that it was going to be expensive to maintain. I wouldn't ever put anything less than 91 in my car. I also only go to Quik Trip or Shell.

Heres a list of all the Top Tier Gas Station in the US & Canada

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Old 03-08-12, 09:51 PM
LatitudeNZ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy crud. I wouldnt even think of putting 91 in my soarer. Its 98 or nothing. Maybe 95 if im in the middle of nowhere and low on gas. But then again, im in NZ. Cant go very far without hitting another gas station.
Old 03-08-12, 11:18 PM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Idk, if anyone touched base on this or not. Havn't read WHOLE thread.

But the reason why we are supposed to use premium is related to internal combustion temperature.

87 Octane is in fact more powerful then 93 octane.
93 is a cooler fuel.

Cooler because it contains less BTU's then 87 octane.

As with are higher compression NA high level ignition advance in are cars, we will run hotter then say a 9:1 compression honda or so.
Cars these days run to the VERY edge of knocking to be as efficient as possible.

Pre-ignition and knock are pretty close to the same thing.

What makes the pinging sound, is the shockwave from the explosion hitting the piston. *MINOR SMALL EXPLOSION NOT HIROSHIMA*

Last edited by g4ebguy90; 03-08-12 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-09-12, 12:43 AM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I always buy Premium. How much would you even save from buying 87, less than $2 lol? The idea is to keep the car running strong..
Old 03-09-12, 02:13 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Screw that man, I run the cheap stuff, I even throw in a gallon of water with every fill up or even window cleaner for good measure. Saves me $$$ and works like a charm. When im really feeling froggy ill throw in some 2 stroke oil, diesel fuel, or Jet A from the airport. Cheap gas till you die if your not boosted... Or put in 91 and waste all kinds of cash. I say buy 87 and spend the savings on Booze and strippers.
Old 03-09-12, 01:47 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

All my cars run 98RON fuel.

My Soarer V8 constantly gets ~550kms easily per tank (~120km round trip for work) with 98RON. I ran mid grade premium 95 and I lost about 80-100km/tank.

Quick Reply: SC300/400 owners ... are you still buying premium gas for your car?