SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Florida SC300

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-15, 11:33 PM
DSKLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Florida SC300

I'm wondering what you all think I should ask for, for my Lexus SC300. It is a 1995, from Florida and is in immaculate condition throughout. Just hit 140k but I put in over $3000 replacing everything even out of precaution at the Toyota dealership before I drove across the country so the car literally needs nothing.

Book value is around $4000 but I think the car, needing nothing, having been taken care of so well has to be worth around $6000? Am I right?

If I was looking for a car in the $6000 range and I knew the history of this Lexus like I do, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Anyway, I drove it to Austin, TX where I am currently.

Attached Thumbnails Florida SC300-sc300-2.jpg   Florida SC300-sc300-1.jpg  
Old 05-02-15, 11:46 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What parts specifically did you replace? Hard to tell if it needs nothing or not without telling us what you did. Truth is these cars need a lot, and $3k doesnt really go that far at a dealership.

Last edited by eknine9; 05-03-15 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-03-15, 08:39 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I paid 6k for mine if you want to compare
Old 05-03-15, 08:57 AM
TXMAG
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think $6000 is probably steep and something closer to $4500 is about right. This is assuming the car is in as good a shape as you say and you have the receipts/some sort of service history for the car. If it's a factory 5-speed maybe it's worth a little more to the right person. If it's none of these things the $4000 valuation is probably about right. For $6000 you're getting in range of buying a well kept and lightly modded SC300.

For reference I recently bought a garage kept, 1-owner, full dealer service history 1992 SC300 with 160K miles and paid $3700.
Old 05-03-15, 01:31 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Hopefully those are just old pictures because the fan shroud is broken, your driver side trim is shot and you have tons of leaves under the hood. If you have receipts for EVERYTHING you can ask for 6 and expect to get 4500. There just isn't a huge market for these cars, especially in gold. Only pristine 97+ models are pulling 6 and up... Good luck man.
Old 05-03-15, 04:48 PM
DSKLexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Appreciate the Responses...

As a 95, there are some cosmetic blemishes but the actual body, underneath and throughout including the engine are immaculate. The fan shroud casing is broken but there is a new cluth fan and clutch fan motor. I spent about $3000 but my friend is a Toyota mechanic so that is mainly parts.

Overall, I have recently replaced/added:

4 New Yokohama Tires
Clutch Fan
Clutch Fan Motor
Drive Belt
Full Tune-Up (Plugs, caps, wires etc)
New Radiator
Harmonic Balancer
A/C Compressor
All new brakes all-around
New Battery

I had my friend do most all of the work at the dealership after hours when they can work on their own projects. That was at the end of the summer. In February, as a precaution (and my check engine light came on) I had the car completely gone through at a high-end, trusted and very well reviewed shop. They again went through the entire car and asked me "What, did you just keep this car stored away all these years?"

The car is not a 10/10 but for the year and the overall care it has received you can't really ask for one with a better history. That is why I am having a hard time pricing it and just considering keeping it.

So what do you all think?
Old 05-03-15, 05:06 PM
TXMAG
Driver

Originally Posted by DSKLexus
As a 95, there are some cosmetic blemishes but the actual body, underneath and throughout including the engine are immaculate. The fan shroud casing is broken but there is a new cluth fan and clutch fan motor. I spent about $3000 but my friend is a Toyota mechanic so that is mainly parts.

Overall, I have recently replaced/added:

4 New Yokohama Tires
Clutch Fan
Clutch Fan Motor
Drive Belt
Full Tune-Up (Plugs, caps, wires etc)
New Radiator
Harmonic Balancer
A/C Compressor
All new brakes all-around
New Battery

I had my friend do most all of the work at the dealership after hours when they can work on their own projects. That was at the end of the summer. In February, as a precaution (and my check engine light came on) I had the car completely gone through at a high-end, trusted and very well reviewed shop. They again went through the entire car and asked me "What, did you just keep this car stored away all these years?"

The car is not a 10/10 but for the year and the overall care it has received you can't really ask for one with a better history. That is why I am having a hard time pricing it and just considering keeping it.

So what do you all think?

I still think you might get ~$4500 as that is all basic maintenance type stuff and should have been done at normal intervals anyway. It's great that you did it but it won't add significant value to a car. You can always ask for $6000 and see where you land though since it doesn't cost anything to throw something up on the forums or Craigslist.

Now, if you had a full service history from mile zero with all scheduled maintenance performed on time and receipts backing it I'd say that adds some value but I don't think you do. Most people don't. It's one of the pitfalls of owning a 20 year old car that has probably passed through the hands of 2-5 owners.
Old 05-03-15, 05:16 PM
TXMAG
Driver

For reference here's a nice comp for you. 1995 SC300 with similar mods/maintenance, a 5-speed and a, to most, more desirable paint color: http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de.../?aff=atempest

Asking price of $4500.
Old 05-03-15, 07:30 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXMAG
For reference here's a nice comp for you. 1995 SC300 with similar mods/maintenance, a 5-speed and a, to most, more desirable paint color: http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de.../?aff=atempest

Asking price of $4500.
No mention of mileage in that ad, but it doesn't detract from the point. OP could realistically ask for $5k-$5.5k and see where it lands. There are some items missing from the recent repair list OP that I'd be wary about, like timing belt, and a few of the seals (cam, rear main, valve, etc), Lower Control Arms, springs and struts, power steering pump and lines, etc etc.

But recent maintenance is always a plus.
I'm also in Austin right now, and southern cars don't pull a premium down here like they do up North because rust is just such a rare problem down here.

Realistically though, I couldn't see any reason to pay more than $4k for that off the market. Again you might be able to get more, but I'd expect to have your price talked down by prospective tire kickers.
Old 05-03-15, 09:17 PM
DSKLexus
Driver School Candidate

Yea, no mileage listed, which makes me think that it would be high. Timing belt was done by Lexus about 25-30k ago. All valves checked and one replaced.

In most instances I would say book value is adequate but this car has a rare history as it was driven by two older gentleman and someone who meticulously cares for his cars. Always garaged, no rust and drives phenomenally. I just drove it all across the country with not even the slightest issue. I think this car has an easy 200k left with basic maintenance.
Old 05-03-15, 09:41 PM
TXMAG
Driver

Meh, in the ad the seller says low mileage. On a 20 year old car it's relative I suppose. In any event, toss it up for $6000 and see what you get for offers. It's not going to cost you anything and who knows, maybe someone will like it enough to pay it.
Old 05-04-15, 08:18 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just had a black 93 SC 300 show up @ a dealer near me has 134k on it, car is originally from NC & shows no sign of being driven in the winter up here. runs nice & body is very clean(underneath also) Seats are all cracked/split< climate control has screen bleed but works, Nak system works but ant, doesn't, they want 6k for it & I told them it would sit on their lot a long time @ that price. KBB says it's only worth 3k. They told me NADA says it's worth 10k HAHA! It would have to be mint & under 50k to even maybe garner a price like that. I paid 3k for my 96 SC400 3yrs ago & it had about same mileage & better interior, all bells & whistles worked. So hope you get your price for it, maybe we'll finally turn the corner on the value of these cars & they'll start coming back up in value.