SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Stripped head bolt.. help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-11, 12:55 PM
copermn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped head bolt.. help?

ok so I started taking the head off today, so I could look at it. I start taking the head studs off, and I get to the last one.

The owner before me had started working on them, and apparently he tried to get this one head stud off and stripped it...

Now its one of the two studs thats in the back by the firewall so its a PITA to get to in the first place.. but does anyone have any idea how to get this *#(@ thing off?

Me and my dad are gonna try some things, but I wanted to know if other people have had problems with this and what they've done.
Old 07-22-11, 01:07 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Is the block stripped?
Old 07-22-11, 01:19 PM
copermn
Rookie

no, the head bolt is. its still in the head and the block. I can't get it out, because where the allen key goes is stripped.
Old 07-22-11, 01:33 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

can you get at it w/ vicegrips?
Old 07-22-11, 01:35 PM
copermn
Rookie

Originally Posted by 88supramki

the area back there is soooooooooooooooo small, there's almost no room even for my fingers to get around the bolt.. so I doubt it...
Old 07-22-11, 01:40 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 88supramki
Vicegrips will not be able to even turn the head bolt. I say the best thing is to pull the motor out and hammer a socket onto the bolt and take it out.
Old 07-22-11, 01:45 PM
copermn
Rookie

Originally Posted by soarer13oy
Vicegrips will not be able to even turn the head bolt. I say the best thing is to pull the motor out and hammer a socket onto the bolt and take it out.

see thats the thing. I do NOT want to take the engine out either. I do not have the time for that. and we tried to do a socket thing.. but that too is impossible. there is barely any space between the bolt and the sides of the inside of the head, so putting something over it is impossible unless I shave parts of the inside of the head.. which i won't do.
Old 07-22-11, 02:17 PM
navazsc3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weld a socket to it.....good luck
Old 07-22-11, 02:26 PM
sebasc300
Driver

Originally Posted by copermn
ok so I started taking the head off today, so I could look at it. I start taking the head studs off, and I get to the last one.

The owner before me had started working on them, and apparently he tried to get this one head stud off and stripped it...

Now its one of the two studs thats in the back by the firewall so its a PITA to get to in the first place.. but does anyone have any idea how to get this *#(@ thing off?

Me and my dad are gonna try some things, but I wanted to know if other people have had problems with this and what they've done.
I had the same issue a few years back. I went to the hardware store and purchased a large metal drill bit and drilled through the head of the bolt. once the head of the bolt was completely destroyed, the bolt just screwed right out of the engine block, took me 10 minutes tops.

If you choose this method make sure to get the head hot tanked before reassmebly or you may get metal shaving in your engine.
Old 07-22-11, 02:36 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

ugh how annoying. the guy above me has a great method. that would be your best bet. good luck
Old 07-22-11, 02:41 PM
sebasc300
Driver

Also, when drilling take your time and be careful not to drill through the cylinder head hole that the bolt slides into.
Old 07-22-11, 02:58 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drilling it as mentioned is a great idea and maybe the only one that will actually work with the engine in the car still. I know this sounds lame, but another option may be to clean the bolt head really well with brake clean. Then mix up some jb weld, fill the bolt head with it, then stick the hex socket into the wet jb weld. Let it cure for the recommended time, and then try to break the bolt loose.
Old 07-22-11, 03:33 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldnt drill them just yet. OP is it possible to get another allen key in there maybe the next size up or a fractional size? i encountered the same problem, hammer a larger size allen in and it came right out. granted mine was on an engine stand but same concept
Old 07-22-11, 03:52 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a good idea too. Maybe even cross into standard sizes also to see if one is just slightly larger.
Old 07-22-11, 03:56 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Yep, great ideas here...

I would hammer a bigger tool and see if it bites then drill...

Quick Reply: Stripped head bolt.. help?