SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Our Cars...Are they still cool?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-11, 05:18 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrHimbert
Ha cant afford modern sports cars? You are ignorant. Did you ever stop to think that maybe we like these cars for its old school appeal? Or maybe we are smart and would rather let others take. 50k hit on the price.

I own an sc and a 350z. What now? 350z will not be anywhere near the sc when it turns 20 years old and hits 200 k. Old school japanese cars are so much better imho as far as reliabilty goes. New cars are cool but stupid to blow 50 k or whatever and then 5 years later your struggling to sell it for 18 k. Whats your definition of " adffording a new sports car"?
I never said he or other members can't afford newer car. Like I said, some people here spent a lot of $$$$$ on their SC because they like it, and have the money. But majority of people who drive $3-5k SCs would not drive it if they had a choice (read money) of buying something newer ( like M3 (e46)/350/370Z/NSX or something like that). It's cheap, old car - fact. And I'm sure if you go to any other car forum (any make) they will say that their car is timeless, best looking, etc. I'm not ignorant, I'm just being realistic. Yeah, I had 2 SCs, and really enjoyed driving them. They were great cars for $5k but when I had a chance to get newer car, I went for it and don't regret. Things get old, and there's no such thing as *timeless* when we live in time - everything gets old.
Old 07-01-11, 07:00 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
This guy knows.
lol hes just a follower thats all.

Originally Posted by sc300jz
I surely can't afford any higher sport car. If i had 15k to spend i would definitely go with a STi. Any higher maybe a nsx

But for 5k to get a sc300 why not its the best out there for 5k
The STI is ugly as hell, it has absolutely no style whatsoever--no luxury--no class no nothing. It has some power big deal. If you would consider an STI a step up from an SC there is no need to go any further here.

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
sc's look better than any cars i see being produced these days. some of the cars i see are disgusting! what were they thinking? i love my sc. only thing i think about is what we r gonna do in a couple of years.. parts are already hard to come by.. i wanna start making molds of all interior parts so i can produce more parts..
Anyone with good taste appreciates these cars, then there are the other guys lol.

I get compliments all the time from people of all different age groups.
Old 07-01-11, 07:36 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay let's back some of these statements up....

I bought my SC because well, I like SCs. Nice comfortable reliable car with reasonable looks. BUT the biggest factor was price. I already have an expensive car (yeah yeah 27k toyota isn't THAT expensive but it's priced in the range of a C6, M3, S500, etc) and I wanted to buy a super cheap car as an economical commuter that would reduce my risk on my higher valued asset (the supra). Likely within the next year or so I'll buy a 2G GS300 now that those are down in the basement on price.

The SC is an OUTSTANDING value for the money and a nice car- I'd drive it over almost any modern day honda. But "cool" doesn't really fit the bill.
Old 07-01-11, 07:46 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
lol hes just a follower thats all.

The STI is ugly as hell, it has absolutely no style whatsoever--no luxury--no class no nothing. It has some power big deal. If you would consider an STI a step up from an SC there is no need to go any further here.

Anyone with good taste appreciates these cars, then there are the other guys lol.

I get compliments all the time from people of all different age groups.
Follower? I didn't mean to bash on you again. STi's ugly as hell? I'm sorry i don't follow in your foot steps and think that the SC is the almighty.

We have own OPINIONS mister supra hater.

I agree with Klaus like i said, for 5k you can't get a better car.
Old 07-01-11, 08:26 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess Ill throw my two cents in...

A 92 stock SC is not cool. It is not fast, fun to drive, or especially good looking. I bought a 93 w/ minor mods back in college because it was a poor mans supra and cheap. Once out of school Ive had the option to purchase any number of used Z's, G's, IS3, s2k - "cooler" cars. I bought a boosted SC. Ive spent the same amount of money building this SC (thats still not done) as I would have buying a newer/"cooler" car. Now my car isnt everyone's cup of tea, but Its a blast to drive, looks pretty menacing on the road, and its been known to get the thumbs up from a GT3 or two
Old 07-01-11, 08:33 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Klaus says the SC isnt a cool car but I bet my life he says the Supra is the coolest thing since sliced bread. With its hideous looks, over the top price tag and the interior of a honda civic. It is basically just a hyundai Tiburon on steroids.

It just comes down to preference once again.

To me i prefer luxury and class over performance.

To give you guys an idea of my taste---the LS430 is one of my favourite cars right now. And I would take it over Supra,STI or any other car in its price range.

Of course I will be bumping heads with the tuner guys which is what seems to be the case here now. Its ok we all are entitled to our opinion.

Old 07-01-11, 08:41 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

To give you guys an idea of my taste---the LS430 is one of my favourite cars right now. And I would take it over Supra,STI or any other car in its price range.
My '94 SC400 was more reliable than my '04 LS430...

Just sayin'
Old 07-01-11, 08:46 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's pretty cool in my books. Nowadays there are wayy too many modern cars. The SC is older but also UNIQUE. People don't see our cars as often as a 350 or camaro, camry, accord, etc. And some of them go like this O.O and wonder wtf is that car?!
Old 07-01-11, 08:49 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Of course I will be bumping heads with the tuner guys which is what seems to be the case here now. Its ok we all are entitled to our opinion.
Your only bumping heads with other people because you are BASHING other cars.

Odd request, but i haven't seen your SC before mind posting some pictures?
Old 07-01-11, 09:29 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

honestly i stopped liking new cars after about 2000 and what a coincidence that was the final year of the sc. and every year they get worse. if had 50 k to blow on a 350 z i wouldnt period. i would find a clean *** 97 sc300 for 10k or less and dump every mod i ever wanted into it and still spend half of the price. roll up next to a 350 z with a big *** smile knowing that my car looks 50 times sexier and will blow his doors off. literally! try to blow the doors off an sc. you cant they weigh like 100 pounds lol. stock for stock what does the 350 have over the sc? better looking wheels,more power, a bunch of plastic chrome crap? a bunch of pansy abercrombie fitch wearing drivers. so the original question was are sc's still cool? thats like asking if a vw beetle is still cool. if its stock not really. once modded out and dressed up they can be very cool and pull smokin hot chicks just like any other car with a lot of cash dumped into it. lets be real here "modern cars" suck harry ones. and they will be in the salvage long before the sc. i have no doubt in 15 years people will still be seeking out the sc to mod. its the look of it and the engineering of this car that make it "cool"

is this thread still going?
Old 07-01-11, 10:59 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
My '94 SC400 was more reliable than my '04 LS430...

Just sayin'
interesting, from what ive heard------the lexus's from the 90's were the best built of all the lexus's.

Ive spent time in the ls430 forum and some of them say the ls400 was overall a better car then the ls430 which was surprising to me.

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Your only bumping heads with other people because you are BASHING other cars.

Odd request, but i haven't seen your SC before mind posting some pictures?
no i only came to the defence of the SC from some not very kind words.

And sure id like to post pics of my car ----its sandstone beige on 20 inch chromes---the rest is bone stock pretty much. Im hoping to do a few diy's maybe ill take pics and post them here.
Old 07-01-11, 11:26 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

this thread is still going?....asking whether or not sc's are cool or not in a sc enthusiast section is already begging for bias answers, rather why don't you ask normal people like other family members, friends/ acquaintances to get an idea what the general public thinks, like you should give a ***t...

if you or anyone doesn't think these cars are cool/dope/ill whatever then well...go pound sand /THREAD

Last edited by 2BENVD; 07-01-11 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-01-11, 11:28 PM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You sound like you're having a mid-life crisis
Old 07-02-11, 12:08 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

my sc will be 20 next yr and so will many others
Old 07-02-11, 07:52 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

2BENVD, all of the SC's you posted were modded. I believe we're talking about stock SC's.

Any modded car can be "cool" to an extent.

Quick Reply: Our Cars...Are they still cool?