SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Timing Belt. To Do or Not to Do

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-11, 06:10 PM
RemSteele
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Timing Belt. To Do or Not to Do

95 SC300 64K original miles. Should I do the timing Belt or not. Is this a non-interference engine?. Is there any way to check it if I pull the cover off. Can I do it my self (and my local guy). Do I need a tool to keep the cams line up? Seal etc.

Thanks,
RJ

Last edited by RemSteele; 06-26-11 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-26-11, 06:14 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Considering the belt is 16 years old, it'd probably wouldn't hurt but I doubt it's an absolute necessity. Pull the cam cover off the front and see how the belt looks.
Old 06-26-11, 08:25 PM
bohemio
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd also like to know if anyone has replaced their own timing belt. I'm no mechanic but I've turned a few wrenches on my cars. Would you guys recommend taking it to a shop?
Old 06-26-11, 11:16 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

if you have a garage and air compressor with impact then it would not be hard. otherwise take it to a shop. and another thing you need to realize is that since your doing the timing belt you may as well go ahead and do the waterpump,drive belt tensioner,harmonic balancer, these are things that are important! and should be done at the same time as the timing belt. the harmonic balancer has a life of 15 years and when it starts to go bad it could be real bad! like it explodes into little pieces shooting metal into the engine and basically killing your sc. trust me when i bought mine the pulley was chipped and warped and loose. i recommend an ati super damper harmonic balancer. good luck.
Old 06-27-11, 01:17 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know if this would be of any help.

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...20water%20pump

I found it using the search button. I'm not being an AH, but sooner or later someone will.
Old 06-27-11, 03:27 AM
RemSteele
Rookie

Thanks for the link. This looks like a big job. I think my next post will be for good shop in NJ.

Thanks,
RJ
Old 06-27-11, 04:46 AM
mak89
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kingphilip
I don't know if this would be of any help.

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...20water%20pump

I found it using the search button. I'm not being an AH, but sooner or later someone will.
Man thanks for that link. This is my weeks program. Been planning for the past couple of weeks got all parts and tools and finally pulling the trigger. Also good reference are Jeff's 2jz Service youtube videos, and fsm's. And your 95 is non-inerference if your still wondering
Old 06-27-11, 05:12 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I really wish you guys would just man up and start working on these things yourselves!

Not hard at all. Small toolbox, breaker bar, crank pully socket, some PB blaster, and a 6-pack.
Old 06-27-11, 07:30 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
I really wish you guys would just man up and start working on these things yourselves!

Not hard at all. Small toolbox, breaker bar, crank pully socket, some PB blaster, and a 6-pack.
thank you sir!!! exactly my thinking.

only use for an impact is removal of the crankshaft pulley bolt. if you dont have a compressor and/or an impact have no fear. all you need is a 3 foot breaker bar. put the breaker bar against the ground, use the car's starter to crank and break it loose.

easy peasy
Old 06-27-11, 07:38 AM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure the belt has never been done before? You can register at lexus.com and see the entire service history -- at least whatever work was done at a dealer.

I found that my car had a Tbelt done in 1999 at 91k miles. Unfortunately it has 183k now so it's due but I'm a bit broke at the moment.
Old 06-27-11, 10:13 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The timing belt is easy to do, get your hands dirty and use the money for something else. There are plenty of DIY's for doing the timing belt...for example: Jeffs Garage 2JZ service guides

http://www.youtube.com/user/teamproject

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fiHrC7xT5o

^^Its a 5 part series, but you will learn more by watching those and doing it yourself vs. wasting money
Old 06-27-11, 10:16 AM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

not saying its a difficult job. just that the average diy done by someone with no experience in the matter may not be as clean or well executed as a good reputable shop. and this is a job you want done clean. just the torque you have to put on the crank bolt alone you need a very high quality torque wrench. do you have a torque wrench that can handle over 200ftlb? and if you ask me locking a breaker bar under the frame is asking for a slip resulting in a rounded off crank bolt or worse. you have to except your limitations. in order to do the job up to shop standards you need a few expensive tools if you dont already have the tools then by the time you get done buying them you may as well have taken it to a pro. i am all for diy if you are prepared and have the tools. otherwise saving a few hundred bucks might cost a lot more in repairs down the road if your crank bolt comes loose or if you torqued the bolts too much on the waterpump and cracked the housing and didnt realize it. or maybe you forgot locktite somewhere that needed it. all i am saying is be prepared to do it right the first time. also keep in mind that the ati harmonic balancer is only about 50 dollars more then the stock one and exceeds oem standard. for belts and other parts i recommend gates belts. gates also makes the tensioner and maybe the water pump. ac delco parts belong in oldsmobils.lol.
Old 06-27-11, 11:50 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Any kind of fixing in the car is not really a biggy, but usually things take very long to finish, so you gotta have time and patience. Kinda like making love to a woman.
Old 06-27-11, 12:41 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

No rush man, my SC300 just hit 80k miles and I just changed the belt. You are good for a while, no worries.
Old 06-27-11, 12:56 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just replaced mine on my 1995 with 130k. It was originally changed at 45k for whatever reason. I thought it was time so I had mine replaced along with everything else...waterpump, plugs, wires, every gasket under there...etc

Quick Reply: Timing Belt. To Do or Not to Do