SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

im thinking about halo headlights off ebay

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-11, 05:59 AM
hyhflo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im thinking about halo headlights off ebay

i need a right side headlight thinking about them halo lights off ebay?oem is like 400.. any imput is needed thanks
Old 06-21-11, 06:09 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They fit. They work. Most agree they don't look as good as OEM.

I bought them and used them just for the front lenses. Not a big fan of all the LED's and reflectors.
Old 06-21-11, 06:20 AM
saru
Driver

^^Agreed. I have them and have for a long time. They are not greatest but I feel their not that bad.
Old 06-21-11, 06:33 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

not feelin em
Old 06-21-11, 06:48 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stop thinking about them.
Old 06-21-11, 07:06 AM
MySCSucks
Driver School Candidate

They have good points and bad points. I personally think they look great and really update the front of the car. All the best luxury brands have stylish headlights now. The best aspect is the totally clear lens by far. I think the Halo looks great as well. The LED's? Meh. I didn't like them at first, but now I do. When I pull into a place that has a window and I see the reflection, I like it. It's more than the stock, but definitely not too much.

The old timers here will tell you no, but that's because they have a single build style that they like. If you don't have 97+ tails, 97 + bumper, coilovers, etc, etc, you're not up to their standards. It's actually somewhat similar to the MKIV board where the old timers have a particular set of attributes they like and all others are crap.

What's funny is that old timers here bang on the Halos, but probably love the lights from Benz, Audi, even the new Chrysler has LED's and stylish headlights.

The main attribute they have is that the update the front of the car. The car looks newer and more modern.

I got mine because I wanted something different and they were cheaper than the OEM's. Be aware though that you will face challenges regarding the projector alignment most likely.
Old 06-21-11, 07:20 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

It's not that we bang on halos. We bang on the crappy build quality and their high tendency to break after a short period of time.

Scotturnot & sc400tt have both done halo/led setups that put those cheesy eBay lights to shame.

I wish there were some better options myself. The stock ones are classy, but I agree a touch outdated.
Old 06-21-11, 07:44 AM
ZGagnon
Lead Lap

i may have some for sale soon if i can find nice enough oem ones
Old 06-21-11, 08:13 AM
FutureSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try and find a used headlight, and then clean it up if need be. It's possible to find a used light for $80 or so.

As for the eBay lights, what I've seen is projector alignment issues and I think they look funky on an SC with stock hi-beams (sorry guys).
Old 06-21-11, 08:50 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

im thinking about halo headlights off ebay
Try NOT to think about them.
Old 06-21-11, 08:50 AM
mr/griffin
Lead Lap

as a last option therrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre great! but othere than that meh!
Old 06-21-11, 09:13 AM
skousenjr
Driver

its one of those things, they are better than damaged lights, but some might not like them and dont have to hook up the halo or the led
Old 06-21-11, 10:22 AM
soarer93
Pole Position

Ill leave my opinion out, but perhaps check if your state requires them to be DOT approved. They dont have any markings as such on the few cars here with them. Nor do i see it stating they are on the ebay add(s).
Old 06-21-11, 10:26 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MySCSucks
What's funny is that old timers here bang on the Halos, but probably love the lights from Benz, Audi, even the new Chrysler has LED's and stylish headlights.
I think most people like them on those cars because they BELONG on those cars. I think most of the 'old timers' (I think here your simply referring to people with taste cuz I'm definately no 'old timer') are just people who actually give a rats-a$$ about the quality and what we put on our cars, and dont just slap some crap on it for the hell of it. I personally am not a fan of the halo look on our cars, but there are some damn fine examples of it done (as mentioned above).
In addition, there is a ton of problems with these eBay halo's, all surrounding the build quality. I saw a thread not too long ago where the halo actually fell off. The light discharge is so weak on these its almost down right dangerous to drive at night with them.
Best thing they're for is to buy them and tear them apart for the clear-lenses.

Last edited by scENFORCER; 06-21-11 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-21-11, 10:53 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as falling apart, I personally took apart a set of the chrome ebay specials less than a week ago and can say that they are NOT OEM equivalent. The halo is held on by 3 dabs of clear silicone. Nothing more. The 3 mounting tabs don't fit right so they offer no support to the halo. The wiring was very thin one of the blue lights had fallen out during delivery. Otherwise, the quality was not bad. They're were no glaring problems with the thickness of the plastics and the lenses themselves fit 8/10. The headlight does protrude about 1/4 inch further forward than OEM but the tabs and guides line up well otherwise. Weatherstripping was about half as thick as OEM and does not cover the gaps well.

Quick Reply: im thinking about halo headlights off ebay