SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Full Illumination Climate Control Light Replacement Write-Up W/Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-11, 04:26 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Illumination Climate Control Light Replacement Write-Up W/Pics

Under heavy request via PM, I've finally gotten around to thie write-up with Pics. Basically, this will take the 272-1092 Radio Shack Bulb (readily available for $2.00 for a two pack and give FULL ILLUMINATION instead of half -illumination that you get when replacing the bulbs. You will need a large Phillips, a small Phillips, soldering iron, solder, piece of 18ga wire (about 5") and a 10mm socket. Remove shifter, Remove center console (6 screws, two under the cup holder, four under the shift console) and remove radio / climate control cage (4 phillips screws, 2 10" bolts) then separate climate control unit from cage (four black phillips, two on either side.)
Buy these bulbs from radio shack (they will work for the button lights as well, so buy a bunch of them, they are cheap! The also work for hazard switch light, ECT switch, etc... May as well change them all while you have them out!

You now have the unit out of the vehicle to modify / repair:

Remove ALL 6 EXTERIOR SCREWS, four at the corners:

Two inside these indentations:

Separate face from unit by gently prying with a flathead under the retaining tabs (six in total):

Gently apply pressure while prying:

Remove these cables from the backside of the unit by gently pulling:

We were trying to get power from the left (from this vantage point) connector without splicing wires, or not being able to easily remove unit from vehicle.

Slide Circuit boards from back of unit and turn over to expose solder points for harness receptacles (I have already soldered the wire we will be adding):
Solder the wire you are adding to this solder point (nothing is connected to it a this point):
Use this connector for reference where to solder:

Now, from the two harnesses connecting the front of the unit (face) to the rear (circuit board, or "brain" you will be removing a pin from the smaller one (3-wire).... Mine Pictured is already modified... The wires are grouped in the following manner in the four pin connector [ll_l] you will be removing the end wire from the two grouped together, and taping it up (full reversible) so you will end up with [_l_l] here it is completed:

Now we will be modifying the face of the unit, you will NEED TO REPLACE ALL 3 BACKLIGHT BULBS with the Radio Shack bulbs. I did not take pictures of this because I've already completed this, and it is very fragile to move the LCD screen to access these bulbs without de-soldering the entire LCD, but it CAN BE DONE, and mine has been in 4 months of extreme changes in climate without bleeding. You can search to find posts on how to replace the bulbs. After you replace the bulbs, you will be soldering the wire you added to the motherboard of the backside of the unit, the trick is that, on the third bulb the polarity is reversed on the solder points, so solder the right (looking at the front of the screen as you usually to to see the display, or the left looking at the rear where you will be soldering. and solder the wire to the outermost pin where you soldered the new bulbs into (next to the header where the button light ribbon cable connects:

Re-assemble the unit in reverse order, replace in vehicle, and enjoy! I know I missed a few pictures, but you can fill in the blanks with another post on replacing the bulbs, and I can also answer questions... If anyone who created the original posts that stand on replacing just the bulbs would like to donate their pictures to fill the blacks in, I would appreciated it, and give credit for them. Feel free to ask questions!

Last edited by scottys209; 05-30-11 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-30-11, 05:06 PM
tpham86
Pole Position

i dont get it.
Old 05-30-11, 05:16 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tpham86
i dont get it.
When you replace the backlight bulbs in the climate control unit with anything but toyota bulbs you get about half the original brightness, this fixes that for MUCH, MUCH cheaper, and easier to find bulbs.
Old 05-30-11, 07:56 PM
Egone
Driver School Candidate

awesome!!! i've been waiting for this diy since reading your other thread thanks!!!
Old 05-30-11, 09:52 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Egone
awesome!!! i've been waiting for this diy since reading your other thread thanks!!!
No Problem! Sorry It took so long buddy....
Old 05-31-11, 12:21 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm lost myself...smh

could i get a break down of whats going on?
Old 05-31-11, 08:14 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

Sorry for the confusion, when most people replace the bulbs with Radio Shack units they get this (rights to picture from user RYAN, if you have an issue with me using your pic I will remove it):
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...-repair002.jpg
To THIS:
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...9/fe56ea7e.jpg
Old 05-31-11, 09:16 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice I will attempt this soon!
Old 06-01-11, 04:41 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

how bout posting some lighted-up shots? these in-the-making pictures makes me regret failing high school physics
Old 06-01-11, 08:15 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have heard the same thing about buying Radio Shack bulbs versus the original OEM one. Nice DIY, but are we missing some pictures?
Old 06-01-11, 08:38 AM
scottys209
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kaydee
how bout posting some lighted-up shots? these in-the-making pictures makes me regret failing high school physics
Here's a link to my other post before I took pics of how-to, it has lit pictures.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...t-voltage.html
Old 06-01-11, 09:57 AM
vegas_sc4
Driver

So this only works when Ur LCD is not all bled threw right?
Old 06-02-11, 09:44 AM
scottys209
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vegas_sc4
So this only works when Ur LCD is not all bled threw right?
You are correct sir.... However, if you decide to replace the LCD, it would be a good time to replace the bulbs and complete this process.
Old 05-27-15, 12:35 AM
dricacho
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been searching all evening and found this thread. I just replaced the LCD on the climate control. Now I need to replace the backlight and button bulbs. As pictured below.

I just want to make sure I get the correct bulbs so I just want to confirm if these are the bulbs I need to replace the backlighting and button bulbs with. I read from another thread that these 12v microlamps will do the trick instead of the 6v ones.
http://comingsoon.radioshack.com/12v...l#.VWVeRM9Viko

Also, will I need some resistors for these bulbs?
Old 09-16-16, 11:43 AM
pishta
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I replaced my LCD but I lost my illumination in the process, what went wrong? What is the power lead in the harness for the backlight so I can trace out? is it ACC power source?
Name:  climate_ecu_pinout.png
Views: 1391
Size:  223.8 KB

Quick Reply: Full Illumination Climate Control Light Replacement Write-Up W/Pics