SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My Good deed for the day - not an SC but it is family

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-11, 03:02 AM
booga
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My Good deed for the day - not an SC but it is family

Since Thursday morning I drove past a pearl white MK3 Targa top Supra on my way to work. On the way home that same day, I noticed the Turbo badging, and the green neon sign with listed price of $1,950.

I passed it again Friday, but could not stop to take a closer look.

This Saturday on the way home from taking the kids to the beach, I could not resist. I took the number down and called as I was passing by the car for the 20th time. The info over the phone was too good to be true, so I turned around to take a look at the car.

This is the car.

1990 Toyota Supra Turbo Targa Top Pearl White
144158 miles on the odo All Original
Body is straight

AC works
Heater works
All electronics in the car are working
New tires
The car runs great
Bra comes with it - not installed

2nd owner, 1st owner is a family friend so the history is not unknown
No Accident
Clean title

To do list on the car:
Power window drivers side stopped this morning
Windshield wiper
Hood struts to keep it up when open
Vinyl pieces from the the interior
Slight damage on the lower part of the front bumper on the passenger side. Nothing that affects the bumper structurally

Immediately I thought my niece is looking for a car - cheap. I took pictures - lots of it. Called up my niece and found that she is not in the market for a car at the moment. If I needed a car, and had the cash, I would have driven this home. So I talked to the owner and told her that I will get her a buyer. I advised her that the price she is asking for is very low and that I will post the car on Craigslist for a little higher.

I posted it online and listed it for $2,500 knowing that the car is worth more than that. But the owner wants to move it fast since financial troubles has her behind on rent. $2,500 would also be a good number for freakin craigslist low-ballers to work down from.

30 minutes after I posted the ad, I headed back out to take the girls out to the movies. I passed the Supra once again where it was parked earlier that day. I saw the owner talking to someone next to the car. As I stood in line to buy the tickets for the movie Rio, I get a call from the owner of the Supra. The car is SOLD! Less than 1 hour after posting the ad. I get a follow up call from the son who thanked me repeatedly for helping and posting the ad. He even offered to give me some cash.

I can't take cash - I am just glad I was able to help.

Last edited by booga; 05-01-11 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-01-11, 05:25 AM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It looks sweet, you should have bought it. I'm kinda sorta thinking about buying one myself.
Old 05-01-11, 06:34 AM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a great story bro, we need more post's like this.
Old 05-01-11, 07:02 AM
MidloSC
Driver

Good deed, man. Yeah that car was a steal.
Old 05-01-11, 09:32 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

Awesome story man. That was a good deal too!
Old 05-01-11, 12:11 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

well done
Old 05-01-11, 12:16 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, that was a good thing you did...especially given the familie's situation-it's not always about the good deals we can find, sometimes it's about giving back and helping those who could really use it the most! Big RESPECT to you SIR!
Old 05-01-11, 01:11 PM
booga
Pole Position

Oh wait - I just realized that this is not the 1st generation. It was 3AM when I posted this thread, I can use that excuse.

I have always liked the Supra. It's one of those cars in my list that has always caught my attention. But every time I have one of these presented in front of me as a deal of a lifetime, the timing is always off and I can't get it.

I am glad I was able to help. In this case both sides of the deal since the seller sold the car and gets to pay rent. The buyer who got the best deal ever on this car. I wish my niece would have been in the market for a car, teaching her stick on this Supra would have been a blast.

I always have a list of "to do" items for my car. So I asked her what she had in her list.
Did you see her list? The worst she had was the cracking of some of the interior vinyl pieces. This car was in very good condition despite her to do list which were mostly small and nothing mechanical.

After the movie with the girls, I was going to post it here for the CL people to get. But the other "CL" got the jump on it.

Last edited by booga; 05-01-11 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-01-11, 01:23 PM
iwannadie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by booga
Oh wait - I just realized that this is not the 1st generation. It was 3AM when I posted this thread, I can use that excuse.
I was about to say that is not a 1st generation supra. That's an MK3 and they ran until 92 so the one you saw was pretty late in the time line. 1st gen. would have been a 1978.
Old 05-01-11, 01:43 PM
jkearns
Driver School Candidate

Beautiful car, great deed, but unfortunate you could not purchase/build and update us on it. Regardless, there needs to be more good people like yourself in this world.
Old 05-01-11, 01:45 PM
booga
Pole Position

iwannadie,

Thank you for clearing that up. I just changed the original post.
Old 05-01-11, 02:05 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

That's a really nice story, thanks for sharing...
Old 05-01-11, 02:21 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice! good to see other people help out others! that is a steal though it looks so clean.
Old 05-01-11, 02:23 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Nicely done.
Old 05-01-11, 03:11 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Hey guys im just curious here, please dont accuse me of being negative or starting a debate ive been getting alot of that lately.

I just dont know much about these cars and if I saw this on the side of the road for 2 grand I wouldnt know if it was a deal or not, most likely i would of passed it by and never thought twice.

What is the value of this car really?

Are these mk3 supras as 'built tough' as the mk4's i see and hear so much about.

I think what the op did was very nice and helped both the buyer and seller out .

Seems like the mileage is quite high to me and the car is over 20 years old, was this actually that great of a deal?

thanks for any feedback

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 05-01-11 at 03:22 PM.

Quick Reply: My Good deed for the day - not an SC but it is family