SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Hub Centric Rings & Nissan Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-11, 10:19 PM
saleens281
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hub Centric Rings & Nissan Wheels

Hello everyone... I'm new to this forum and I needed a little confirmation on Hub rings before I purchase them. Ive had a set of 18/19 RAYs Track Wheels V2 that I took off my 350z laying around and I figured I'd put them on my SC400. I was putting on the front wheel today and that's when it came to me that I needed the hub rings. From my understanding (yes I searched... I may be new to this forum but I'm frequent in supraforums, my350z, & stangnet) the correct hub rings that should be used with nissan wheels are Nissan oem wheel (66.06) to a Toyota hub (60.1) correct? Meaning outside diameter is 66.06 and the inner diameter would be 60.1? I just need clarification... I want to be use I don't order the wrong ones. Thanks in advance.

Here's how she looked with the front on: I'll be dropping her on coilovers in a month or two

Here's a pic of the rims in question:
Old 04-08-11, 10:26 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why exactly are you wanting to install hub rings? are you installing Spacers/adapters on this SC??

honestly, you dont even need hub rings. i've used them because they came with my spacers, but i took them off and my car still drives fine and my wheel/hub hasn't been negatively affected. hub rings are overrated.

btw: those 350z wheels look good on you SC.
Old 04-08-11, 10:39 PM
saleens281
Rookie

Originally Posted by MIGS
why exactly are you wanting to install hub rings? are you installing Spacers/adapters on this SC??

honestly, you dont even need hub rings. i've used them because they came with my spacers, but i took them off and my car still drives fine and my wheel/hub hasn't been negatively affected. hub rings are overrated.

Thank you sir...

The only reason I want to use Hub rings is because I saw how big the gap was between the hub and the center of the wheel. I took a pic of that too (down below). I've had a friend who was driving next to me and all of a sudden his wheel came off and slammed into my saleen. He cracked the studs and it was then determined he was missing Hub rings that caused the whole incident.

Old 04-08-11, 10:59 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

MATERIAL: POLYCARBONATE (METAL VERSIONS RUST OVER TIME)
INNER DIAMETER:60.1MM Toyota
OUTER DIAMETER: varies

$10 on Ebay
Attached Thumbnails Hub Centric Rings & Nissan Wheels-picture010-1.jpg   Hub Centric Rings & Nissan Wheels-picture011-1.jpg  
Old 04-08-11, 11:06 PM
saleens281
Rookie

Originally Posted by lfrers
MATERIAL: POLYCARBONATE (METAL VERSIONS RUST OVER TIME)
INNER DIAMETER:60.1MM Toyota
OUTER DIAMETER: varies

$10 on Ebay
Thank you!
Old 04-09-11, 12:00 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Your welcome. They have aluminum too. but they are twice as much. I have a feeling they may be a bit better in the long run
Old 04-09-11, 12:14 PM
saleens281
Rookie

Originally Posted by lfrers
Your welcome. They have aluminum too. but they are twice as much. I have a feeling they may be a bit better in the long run
I saw the aluminum ones and I have those on my Z which have lasted longer than the plastic ones that came with my Gram Lights. So I just got the aluminum ones.
Old 04-09-11, 12:24 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MIGS

so if running spacers, hub rings are necessary?
Old 04-09-11, 12:36 PM
Copilot
Driver

Hub rings should be used any time that the wheel you use isn't sitting on the hub of the car.

The wheel studs are not suppose to support the car on the rims, that is the point of the hub. Studs are just to hold the wheel against the hub but the hole in the middle of the rim is suppose to go around the hub so that the hub is sitting on the wheel. Its hard to explain but if you look at the pic the OP posted and you can see the gap between the wheel and the hub that is bad, you want the rim to slip right onto the hub.
Old 04-09-11, 12:58 PM
ScAmor
Driver

The 350z rims look great on your ride, nice switch!
Old 04-09-11, 01:55 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Copilot
Hub rings should be used any time that the wheel you use isn't sitting on the hub of the car.

The wheel studs are not suppose to support the car on the rims, that is the point of the hub. Studs are just to hold the wheel against the hub but the hole in the middle of the rim is suppose to go around the hub so that the hub is sitting on the wheel. Its hard to explain but if you look at the pic the OP posted and you can see the gap between the wheel and the hub that is bad, you want the rim to slip right onto the hub.
good explanation, thanks
Old 04-09-11, 08:10 PM
jjffyy
Lead Lap

I've also seen one of my buddies wheel studs break off because of not running hub centrics. Better safe than sorry. I have a set of plastic ones on my G35 wheels.
Old 04-09-11, 08:55 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just as a heads up. The plastic rings melt over time if you ever drive your car a bit harder. After just a couple autox events my plastic rings melted onto the hub and deformed baddly. Go aluminum. More expensive but those are the only rings I now use on my car.
Old 04-11-11, 12:40 AM
saleens281
Rookie

Originally Posted by ScAmor
The 350z rims look great on your ride, nice switch!
Thank you sir!
Old 04-11-11, 12:46 AM
saleens281
Rookie

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Just as a heads up. The plastic rings melt over time if you ever drive your car a bit harder. After just a couple autox events my plastic rings melted onto the hub and deformed baddly. Go aluminum. More expensive but those are the only rings I now use on my car.
That's exactly what happened to my fronts... I have a BBK on the Z and a few friends and I always found local mountain roads and after a few sessions they were toast and caked on the hub.

Quick Reply: Hub Centric Rings & Nissan Wheels