SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

hit a pothole,now she wont start....

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 11:45 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Abelo
if the battery becomes disconnected its a open circuit, so the car wont run. im pretty sure the alternator runs through the battery even though it doesn't use its power. the battery is used just for cca to start the car and to complete the circuit...

thats why my car turned off when the terminal came loose.
u are correct the other guy not so much lol......
Old 04-07-11, 10:20 AM
gunyvw
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jubay heres a little scenario...

you have a lot of (dvd) wiring also... check the fuse block(s) both for tie ins that may have slipped also... ie at the starter fuse or main...
the scenario below is something i found online that speaks to fuel cut off and a person who had a shock trauma and could not start like you did.

with my 91 lexus sc400,im trying to find where my fuel cut with my 91 lexus sc400,im trying to find where my fuel cut off switch is

Response From Expert Hello and thank you for using just answer. Before I post any answers would you like to share what the problem you are having with the car is? Also what year and model is this...there was no SC in 1991.

Customer Reply Its a 1992 lexus sc 400, i had it towed home the other night because i blew out two tires and it was running perfect before it went on the tow truck, today when we put on the new tires, we went to start it, it started fine, died and now it just wants to crank over, no leaks, oranything, i think it has something to do with the fuel supply, need location if possible to trigger the fuel inertia switch

Expert's Answer THank you for the reply and proper clarification.

There is NO fuel cutoff switch on this car. The tow job is always a possibility here but with a car of this age anything is possible. If you can elaborate on the mileage and service history we may be able to narrow this down.

First things that come to mind here are:

-Broken timing belt

-Tire blowout caused wiring damage under the wheel liners

-Coil failure

You stated you think it's fuel....it takes 3 things to make the car run: Compression/spark/fuel. The computer used about 100 different sensors and inputs to control the fuel and spark delivery. You can try spraking some intake cleaner or starting fluid in the intake, if fuel delivery is your issue then the car should start and run for a few seconds with a spray.

Customer Reply how would i check to see if it is the coil

Expert's Answer That's just 1 of many many possibilities here. You need to check the basics first, see if you have fuel/spark/compression.

Customer Reply how can i tell if there is spark coming from the coil.its weird, it started in the driveway, then we shut it off and tried turning it on again and wouldnt crank over. No damage to anything,before the blow out, it ran great

Response From Expert Hang on a second now.....you need to give a concrete and clear statement. You have changed the year/model description twice and then you stated it died while running...,now you have stated it won't crank over....will the car's engine revolve/crank or not?

Customer Reply yes, it will crank, 1992.. we started it it ran for alittle, we shut it off, went to start it again, died, then now when we try to start it, it will crank over,but wont start, sorry for the confusion

Expert's Answer ok, check for spark at the plugs then, try spraking some fluid into it to supplemet fuel and let me know what you find then and we sill go from there. Do you knw when the timing belt was last replaced?Peter39809.0501638079

Customer Reply we just sprayed fuel in the intake of the air filter duct, nothing happened,is that the fuel supplement that your talking about? I wouldnt have any idea when the belt was last replaced...

Expert's Answer Then fuel is NOT your issue here.

You need to chek for spark next.

Customer Reply ok, if there is no spark to the spark plug, then what? I dont think i can get to it tonight,but if u could point me the rest of the way...

Expert's Answer No spark indicates 2 possibel issues......there are 2 coild on this car....1 on top of the a/c compressor and 1 on top of the engine near the coolant bleeder plug. The computer uses crank/cam position sensor readings to determine spark delivery, so for example if your timing belt has broken or jumped timing then the spark will deliver incorrectly or not at all. Check for spark, if you find spark then you will need to remove the front timing covers to check the timing belt position. No spark then you need to check to see if it effects all 8 cylinders or just 4 of them (each coil powers 4 cylinders) If you have spark on 4 cylinders then you have 1 bad coil. You almost NEVER see both coild fail at once.

Customer Reply ok, thank you very much, just a quick question, after we fixed the tires, i disconnected the battery to put in my daughters new stereo. I didnt hook up a new one or anything to any of the wires, just took out the old one,could that have anything to do with it? After taking the stereo out, is when we started the car. Also, could it be a fuse for the EFI system?

Accepted Answer IF the EFI fuse was blown then the check engine lamp would not operate during the key on test, removing a radio would not cause this fuse to blow, the EFI fuse does not blow on this car unless it has a short for some reason, check for spark and check engine lamp
Old 04-07-11, 10:23 AM
gunyvw
Driver

also the fuel pump can be shocked back to life by hitting the tank... maybe it took a jolt that caused it to stick...
Old 04-07-11, 05:58 PM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xspsi6
Could be the fuel pump inertia switch.
I've seen this happen on a GMC Jimmy. It was a little more than a pothole though. We were having a party at a dirt pit and he hit a ditch at a 90 degree angle at 35 mph.
Old 04-07-11, 07:30 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gunyvw
also the fuel pump can be shocked back to life by hitting the tank... maybe it took a jolt that caused it to stick...
Yes this is easy to find out if it is a fp just hit the tank with a rubber hammer while someone tries to start it.