SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Signs of a failing alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-11, 10:23 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Signs of a failing alternator?

So I'm thinking my alternator has bit the dust or is slowly. I used my AC yesterday for the first time I purchased the car and at low rpms, or idling the battery indicator was on. As the rpms climbed, it would go away, and now it's just on constantly. A quick search and alot of forum members had the same issues when their alternators failed .

Sooo, I need a new one, now who do I buy from? Should I spend the $50 extra and buy an oem lexus alternator? Or get one from advance auto for 200.00 and take the risk that it's going to fail over and over but there is a warranty included.

Also I've heard people talk about luxurymods 145amp alternator? Does anyone have any experience with these and if they are worth the extra loot?

$300 for the Luxurymod's 145amp alternator:

"If you have an upgraded ignition system, electric fans, additional driving lights, or sound system, then you will need this 145 amps alternator. When you use more wattage then your battery and alternator can handle, the power gets unevenly distributed causing headlights to dim or loss of power in other sources such as in the sound system.

This alternator has a 2 year warranty and is manufactured in the original Lexus housing and requires no special brackets or modification to fit allowing a “drop-in” installation."

http://www.luxurymods.com/145ampsalternator.aspx

Also I've read that the leading causes of the failure can be the o-ring in the distributor leaking directly onto the alternator? There is some oil accumulation under and around the dist cap so I'm thinking this is likely the culprit.

Is this the o-ring? #7?

Housing, Seal
O-RING - 1992-97
List Price : $2.14
Your Price : $1.67

Thoughts?
Old 04-08-11, 10:32 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Depends on what you're looking for. If you need the extra power for ignition system, electric fans, additional driving lights, or sound system and have the extra money get the 145amp one. If you only need to replace your current one, ask yourself how long you will own your SC for. If you are thinking maybe 2 or 3 years, just post a WTB thread in the club lexus SC classified section. Someone will have one for you at a much cheaper rate. Just my $0.02 of course.
Old 04-08-11, 11:22 AM
scottys209
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't do the advance auto one, I mean unless you like changing alternators all the time. Been there, done that! Then you can't return it for your money back to get a Lexus or luxurymods one, because they don't refund "electronic parts" it's bad news. Spend the money the first time and be done.
Old 04-08-11, 11:43 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scottys209
Don't do the advance auto one, I mean unless you like changing alternators all the time. Been there, done that! Then you can't return it for your money back to get a Lexus or luxurymods one, because they don't refund "electronic parts" it's bad news. Spend the money the first time and be done.
Yeah I've had some friends that had bad experiences with the advance auto refurbs.

So it's either oem factory, or luxurymods....
Old 04-08-11, 12:18 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Go OEM unless you like REALLY need the LuxuryMods one.
Old 04-08-11, 12:25 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what about the high output joints on ebay 200 amps 220 amps anyone use those?
Old 04-08-11, 12:30 PM
Abelo
Driver

when my alternator was going the dash lit up like a Christmas tree, not just the battery light but like 4 other lights came on. you're lights start to dim and if you have the digital cluster like my soarer does it starts to dim also, then when the alternator ****s the bed it runs off you're battery for a short amount of time then dies. also check with a multi meter while the car is running, set it to volts then attach to both battery terminals and it should read somewhere around 14.4v ish if its less than around 13v it means time for a rebuild or new one.

i had a new z32 alternator in my car and it hit the dust so i went to a alternator rebuild shop and they replaced some parts and cleaned it now its good as new $100 bucks later.

btw i run a z32 alternator and it powers my 1100watt amp 15"sub (not sure watts) and my gauges and hid's fine. so unless you got a big sound system you should be fine with a rebuild
Old 04-08-11, 01:34 PM
WingsofWar
Driver School Candidate

If you want a replacement alternator go with OEM, if you want a alternator with a larger amperage i suggest you take your already dead or dying unit to get it rebuilt. You can get a larger coil, higher amps rating, and a warranty for half the price of a OEM or luxurymods unit. The wait time for an rebuild is usually less than a week if you can stomach that long.
Old 04-08-11, 01:51 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

It looks like most of the oem sites are showing reman's and core charges? Anyone know where I can purchase one that is brand new, not remanufactured? They also have core charges, how do you get your money back on that? Do I have to fork out shipping to get the core charge back?
Old 04-08-11, 03:27 PM
WingsofWar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HiPSI
It looks like most of the oem sites are showing reman's and core charges? Anyone know where I can purchase one that is brand new, not remanufactured? They also have core charges, how do you get your money back on that? Do I have to fork out shipping to get the core charge back?
only way to get a brand new unit is from Lexus, and many times you have the physically go to the parts department to order it. It can be pricey.

Re-manufactured is what you will see most of the time. While most people ***** and moan about re-manufactured parts, the bottoms line is there isn't a big issue about the quality. Napa auto parts gives lifetime warranties on most alternators as well as some other parts companies.

So heres the deal, how much are you willing to spend on an part? how important is the quality to you? would a good quality suffice over oem quality?

If your like most consumers that want whats best for their car and their pocket. Go to any parts store, bring your old alternator with you, and pay for one that gives you the best warranty. AKA lifetime if you can. Core charge is automatically deducted from your total at checkout.

If your buying online, the corecharge is credited back to your checking once you ship off the old alternator to them.

If your a **** about the best quality money can buy, go to Lexus and ask for an alternator and pay the extra premium. for a bran new unit.
Old 04-08-11, 04:11 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

Originally Posted by WingsofWar
only way to get a brand new unit is from Lexus, and many times you have the physically go to the parts department to order it. It can be pricey.

Re-manufactured is what you will see most of the time. While most people ***** and moan about re-manufactured parts, the bottoms line is there isn't a big issue about the quality. Napa auto parts gives lifetime warranties on most alternators as well as some other parts companies.

So heres the deal, how much are you willing to spend on an part? how important is the quality to you? would a good quality suffice over oem quality?

If your like most consumers that want whats best for their car and their pocket. Go to any parts store, bring your old alternator with you, and pay for one that gives you the best warranty. AKA lifetime if you can. Core charge is automatically deducted from your total at checkout.

If your buying online, the corecharge is credited back to your checking once you ship off the old alternator to them.

If your a **** about the best quality money can buy, go to Lexus and ask for an alternator and pay the extra premium. for a bran new unit.
Actually, best way besides new is to have a local shop rebuild it. Auto parts stores (Kragen, Pepboys, even NAPA) have rebuilds that are done cheaply. Yes, they may have warranties and all, but you'll be pissed when you hit 4K and your battery light comes on cause you just popped another one, or have dead spots in certain rpm's.... Go OEM new, or upgraded, or have a shop rebuild it. If you go big box autoparts store, you will become a pro at replacing alternators.