going 1.5jz on my sc

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-11, 07:34 PM
junkyard03
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going 1.5jz on my sc

so after the downfall of my mk3 supra i've decided to do a 1.5 on my 97 sc300

so far i have the ffim , boost controller , safc, fpr , fp , and im swapping in r154 from the mk3 witha stage 2 clutch . looking for opinions, thoughts and suggestions . please dont be negative, im doing this cause i want be a little different and i have quite a bit of what i need any way
Old 01-02-11, 08:53 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless your car is already wired up for the 1jz and you dont wanna change that up or you just blew your bottom end on a 1jz and are looking to do a pretty substantial rebuild, the 1.5 wouldnt be my first thought. Its perfectly viable and pretty rare, but it would probably be easier to just drop in a 2jz and use your parts on that.
Old 01-02-11, 09:02 PM
junkyard03
Driver

Originally Posted by Matador
Unless your car is already wired up for the 1jz and you dont wanna change that up or you just blew your bottom end on a 1jz and are looking to do a pretty substantial rebuild, the 1.5 wouldnt be my first thought. Its perfectly viable and pretty rare, but it would probably be easier to just drop in a 2jz and use your parts on that.

not as rare as you might think , i know a few mk3 owners who have that in your car and it performs pretty good , im not looking for a lot of hp for this and swaping to 2jz gte is a bit out of my reach , but as it stands right now it looks like im gonna have a 2j twins on it . it is gonna be interesting , i will be posting pics when its starts
Old 01-02-11, 09:11 PM
Matador
Racer

Well, guess its not really rare just not common. There are only a handful on CL, im sure there are more MKIII guys with it tho. Have you already sourced the engines? Any ideas on how you're gonna bolt on the 2jz oem twins? I always thought it was more hassle to make those fit, most just put a small single and call it a day.
Old 01-02-11, 10:18 PM
junkyard03
Driver

Well, guess its not really rare just not common. There are only a handful on CL, im sure there are more MKIII guys with it tho. Have you already sourced the engines? Any ideas on how you're gonna bolt on the 2jz oem twins? I always thought it was more hassle to make those fit, most just put a small single and call it a day.
the head will be here in a couple days from what someone who has done it said i just need some sort of spacer . i could go with a single and it would save me dealing a lot of vacuum lines but i need to look stockish cause huntington heach pd are ****** and i wanna kinda keep it on the dl even there will be obvious signs
Old 01-02-11, 11:08 PM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please take pics. I eventually will be going down this path.
Old 01-02-11, 11:11 PM
junkyard03
Driver

Originally Posted by meangreen1
Please take pics. I eventually will be going down this path.
definitely since i will do this with the next mk3 i pick up
Old 01-03-11, 06:04 AM
Triple C
Lead Lap

Good choice. I am doing the most of the same. I wrecked my 87 MK3 1J so im swapping my 1J and r154 over to an already swapped 1jz sc300. so im just going single and staying 1J thinking about putting the other 1J in my 01 4runner.
Oh yeah you should swap over a single turbo and lose that 2jTwins idea. Im going HX35 also my Team buddy is building a 240SX 1.5J Single Turbo, so if you have any questions or need some pictures i can get you some (well now that i thnk of it he ight be doing a magazine spread so I might not be able to get it, Ill Check). anyhow i think the HX35 at 30PSI should be fine for drifting and some weekly fun.
Old 01-03-11, 08:52 AM
Matador
Racer

Originally Posted by junkyard03
the head will be here in a couple days from what someone who has done it said i just need some sort of spacer . i could go with a single and it would save me dealing a lot of vacuum lines but i need to look stockish cause huntington heach pd are ****** and i wanna kinda keep it on the dl even there will be obvious signs
yeah, you need a decent lil spacer. Have you considered rebuilt 1jz twins? I think there are places that will replace the ceramic blades so you can run more boost. Just thinking it would be easier to mount those with the stock 1j manifold than try to get the usdm 2j twins working. You wont get insane power outta them, but you'd have to go single for that anyways.
Old 01-03-11, 09:23 AM
junkyard03
Driver

Originally Posted by Triple C
Good choice. I am doing the most of the same. I wrecked my 87 MK3 1J so im swapping my 1J and r154 over to an already swapped 1jz sc300. so im just going single and staying 1J thinking about putting the other 1J in my 01 4runner.
Oh yeah you should swap over a single turbo and lose that 2jTwins idea. Im going HX35 also my Team buddy is building a 240SX 1.5J Single Turbo, so if you have any questions or need some pictures i can get you some (well now that i thnk of it he ight be doing a magazine spread so I might not be able to get it, Ill Check). anyhow i think the HX35 at 30PSI should be fine for drifting and some weekly fun.
i will get another mk3 , i fell in love with so its not hard to let go and probably do a 1j or a 1.5 in it instead of dealing with the 7m. only reason im sticking with twins is i m not going for a lot of power and i want to look stock ish otherwise i would do a single trust me im not looking forward to vacuum lines on end .

yeah, you need a decent lil spacer. Have you considered rebuilt 1jz twins? I think there are places that will replace the ceramic blades so you can run more boost. Just thinking it would be easier to mount those with the stock 1j manifold than try to get the usdm 2j twins working. You wont get insane power outta them, but you'd have to go single for that anyways.
i have a line on some 1j twins but the dude is trying to get 200 for twins that have been sitting for over a year in his garage and have chipped fins , where as i can get the 2j twins with a deal thats aready going on . i have to say im kinda interested in what this frankenstein of an idea will put out . im not looking for big numbers with is if i wanted big hp then i would be a total 2j swap with a big single for sure
Old 01-03-11, 01:07 PM
Matador
Racer

power wise... Id guess it would be pretty on par with a 2jz and similar mods. How much are you getting the 2j twins for and are they usdm?
Old 01-03-11, 04:43 PM
junkyard03
Driver

power wise... Id guess it would be pretty on par with a 2jz and similar mods. How much are you getting the 2j twins for and are they usdm?
its kinda complicated to explain but im getting them in a trade im doing . i think they are us but if not im getting them rebuilt anyways
Old 01-03-11, 09:27 PM
junkyard03
Driver

update i got the 1j head , twins , and ffim along with a plethora of other goodies from a dude tonight. tomorrow i will take pics to begin the documentation of this interesting build
Old 01-03-11, 09:39 PM
Matador
Racer

Originally Posted by junkyard03
update i got the 1j head , twins , and ffim along with a plethora of other goodies from a dude tonight. tomorrow i will take pics to begin the documentation of this interesting build
im interested to see how the twins turn out. If you have any issues shoot me a pm and ill fwd it on to my buddy. He's way more tech savy than I am and built my 1.5jz
Old 01-03-11, 09:55 PM
junkyard03
Driver

im interested to see how the twins turn out. If you have any issues shoot me a pm and ill fwd it on to my buddy. He's way more tech savy than I am and built my 1.5jz
appreciate that with more than one set of eyes on this shouldnt be too much pain i think but i never know . once the mk3 is gone i'll start cleaning up everything to start sending to the shop

Quick Reply: going 1.5jz on my sc