SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

So this finally happened (crank pulley fell off)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-10, 03:34 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^, What do you mean?

You just need to get another one, preferably a new one. No need for an ATI or any aftermarket one unless you plan on revving the motor a lot. Factory will do just fine.
Old 12-24-10, 03:46 PM
Toastt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Rotor
^, What do you mean?

You just need to get another one, preferably a new one. No need for an ATI or any aftermarket one unless you plan on revving the motor a lot. Factory will do just fine.
I plan on going NA-T so wouldn't an upgraded aftermarket one be a better choice?
Old 12-24-10, 03:53 PM
addisonblc
Pole Position

From what I've read and understood it'd actually do damage to your engine in the long run. I can't speak from
experience but I've come across numerous threads where people had bad stories. But end story is it's your car and your build but unless your plannin on serious numbers, your stock one should be more than enough for your application.
Old 12-24-10, 04:04 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

It depends on what you plan on doing when you go NA-T. Are you getting head work such as valve train parts to actually be able to rev higher than factory?

These aftermarket ones allow the crank pulley to succumb to higher forces and stresses as it revs. If you don't plan on revving a lot higher than factory, I don't see an need for one unless you do plan on revving a lot higher in the future.

Never should you ever use a lightened pulley that's not dampened; your motor will tear itself apart with one of those.
Old 12-24-10, 04:15 PM
Toastt
Pole Position

It depends on what you plan on doing when you go NA-T. Are you getting head work such as valve train parts to actually be able to rev higher than factory?

These aftermarket ones allow the crank pulley to succumb to higher forces and stresses as it revs. If you don't plan on revving a lot higher than factory, I don't see an need for one unless you do plan on revving a lot higher in the future.

Never should you ever use a lightened pulley that's not dampened; your motor will tear itself apart with one of those.
I don't plan on going anywhere past like 415hp, might not even get that much for a while.
Old 12-24-10, 04:42 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

didnt know who common this was, Toastt, how many miles on your sc?
Old 12-24-10, 04:56 PM
Toastt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jadu
didnt know who common this was, Toastt, how many miles on your sc?
180,000+

Which one should I get though? The price difference isn't much at all

https://www.horsepowerparts.com/inde...&product_id=62
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...mZ390229898693

Last edited by Toastt; 12-24-10 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-24-10, 05:55 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

If youre going to get a new one you might aswell go with the super dampener. You can go back to stock and get a used one...they are on sale here a lot. Good luck getting it off though. Its a rather tricky process.

If you get a socket on the pulley use the starter to break the nut loose. Unless you are going to use an air gun-and that will take it right off. Its not a fun process to put another one on...
Old 12-24-10, 06:12 PM
Toastt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Carfreak70
If youre going to get a new one you might aswell go with the super dampener. You can go back to stock and get a used one...they are on sale here a lot. Good luck getting it off though. Its a rather tricky process.

If you get a socket on the pulley use the starter to break the nut loose. Unless you are going to use an air gun-and that will take it right off. Its not a fun process to put another one on...
Well, I don't really want to have this happen again for a while so wouldn't getting a used one be a bad idea? Since people are saying they go through a lot of used ones and stuff.
Old 12-24-10, 06:14 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

I never bought a new one and they always were fine. They didnt break again. I guess if you plan on actually keeping the car (unlike me), then you should go with a new one. but I just bought mine for $70 shipped slapped her on and called it a day. I didnt see myself spending freakin $300 on a crank PULLEY.
Old 12-24-10, 06:17 PM
Toastt
Pole Position

I never bought a new one and they always were fine. They didnt break again. I guess if you plan on actually keeping the car (unlike me), then you should go with a new one. but I just bought mine for $70 shipped slapped her on and called it a day. I didnt see myself spending freakin $300 on a crank PULLEY.
Yeah I plan on keeping it for a while. And I know what you mean, when I was first looking these up I was thinking "is this the right part?" $300 is ridiculous for just a pulley
Old 12-24-10, 06:20 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

If thats the case then I would just get a new one. And you might aswell go ATI IMHO. There is no need not to. Its like $50 more. Which is a lot better than stock. Don't have to worry about it seperating again. Also-if you dont have your little splash guard under neath thats probably a reason it seperated. I know on mine I didnt have it and dirt and grime got in it and caused it to seperate.
Old 12-25-10, 10:07 AM
Toastt
Pole Position

If thats the case then I would just get a new one. And you might aswell go ATI IMHO. There is no need not to. Its like $50 more. Which is a lot better than stock. Don't have to worry about it seperating again. Also-if you dont have your little splash guard under neath thats probably a reason it seperated. I know on mine I didnt have it and dirt and grime got in it and caused it to seperate.
Yeah I know what you mean, but why does the ATI one look different from the OEM one? Looks like the OEM pulley has more stuff. I don't wanna get the wrong thing
Old 12-25-10, 10:58 AM
SChema
Lexus Champion

If you do plan on getting an ATI pulley or another aftermarket one, plan to spend around $500.
Old 12-25-10, 11:33 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

If you do plan on getting an ATI pulley or another aftermarket one, plan to spend around $500.
Why?
https://www.horsepowerparts.com/inde...&product_id=62

he even provided that link....

Quick Reply: So this finally happened (crank pulley fell off)